** 2019 Opponent Previews : Wisconsin (Game 10) **

CollegeFootballNews: 5 Things You Need To Know About Wisconsin & Season Prediction

Last year’s team just didn’t seem to have it. It was better than BYU and Northwestern, and it was certainly better than Michigan – but it didn’t play like it in any of those three losses – and it was thoroughly outclassed by Michigan and Penn State. Even so, it was still a nice eight-win season with a dominant bowl victory. For a program used to owning the Big Ten West and being in the hunt for a College Football Playoff spot, though, it was a massive disappointment. And now it’s time to reestablish the dominance in the division. Iowa and Northwestern will be just as strong, if not better, and Nebraska and Minnesota are rising up fast.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/05/wisconsin-football-preview-prediction-players-2019

Athlon: #19 Wisconsin Badgers Preview & Prediction

Paul Chryst was 36–7 at Wisconsin when he arrived at Camp Randall Stadium for a mid-September game against BYU last season.

A 24–21 loss that day set the tone for a season that ended with an 8–5 record. A blowout win over Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl was a nice way to finish the year, but it didn't remove the underachieving label attached to a team that began the season ranked No. 4 in the nation and in the national title conversation.

Injuries to key players didn't help matters, but what bothered Chryst was that many of his team's issues were self-inflicted. Turnovers, uncharacteristic penalties and substandard quarterback play topped the list. "There were games I thought we didn't play good football," he says. "Another way of saying it, did you give yourselves a chance [to win]? There were times when we made it harder on ourselves." Fixing that problem was one of the things that drove Chryst in the offseason as Wisconsin transitioned to a new era following departures in several key areas.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/wisconsin-football-badgers-prediction-preview-2019

The Athletic: Humbled and hungry, Wisconsin is out to reclaim its spot atop the Big Ten West

The trophy case inside Wisconsin’s football team locker room is supposed to represent a source of pride for all that its players have accomplished. Most offseasons in recent years have reflected those achievements with the full spoils of Big Ten rivalry triumph: The Freedom Trophy for beating Nebraska, the Heartland Trophy for handling Iowa and Paul Bunyan’s Axe for taking care of Minnesota. This offseason is different. Yes, the Freedom Trophy and the Heartland Trophy still reside in Madison, the result of Wisconsin defeating Nebraska for a sixth consecutive game and Iowa for a third straight meeting. But it’s the redecorated spot on the end, missing the trophy awarded for winning the most-played rivalry in FBS history, that illustrates how a season once filled with so much promise went off the rails.

https://theathletic.com/998140/2019/06/06/wisconsin-football-2019-roster-schedule-depth-chart/

More to come...

• Plus1 1

I think he meant Minnesota for the "certainly better than," but yeah that is not a great sentence. Pretty much every one of these has a "huh?" line, although it's usually something like terrible picks for impact players. From living here I don't think anyone actually believes Zack Baun is their best defensive player, and that was his pick.

It is tough to do good previews for every team though, any fairly serious fan of a team could pick out issues with their team's preview. At least he doesn't talk about players no longer with the team like some previews do, those are always funny.

• 2 weeks later...

State of the Program: Humbled and hungry, Wisconsin is out to reclaim its spot atop the Big Ten West

The trophy case inside Wisconsin’s football team locker room is supposed to represent a source of pride for all that its players have accomplished. Most offseasons in recent years have reflected those achievements with the full spoils of Big Ten rivalry triumph: The Freedom Trophy for beating Nebraska, the Heartland Trophy for handling Iowa and Paul Bunyan’s Axe for taking care of Minnesota.

This offseason is different. Yes, the Freedom Trophy and the Heartland Trophy still reside in Madison, the result of Wisconsin defeating Nebraska for a sixth consecutive game and Iowa for a third straight meeting. But it’s the redecorated spot on the end, missing the trophy awarded for winning the most-played rivalry in FBS history, that illustrates how a season once filled with so much promise went off the rails.

• Plus1 2

Nebraska has actually had a better record than Wisconsin and looked better over the last six games.

Wisconsin 3-3

-Northwestern L

-Rutgers W

-Penn State L

-Purdue W

-Minnesota L

-Miami W

Nebraska 4-2

-Minnesota W

- Bethune Cookman W

-Ohio Sate L

-Illinois W

-Michigan State W

-Iowa L

Wisconsin
2016 10-3

2017 11-3

2018 13-2

2019 8-5

It's also interesting that Paul Chryst's worst year was his last.  With his guys and his development they did worse than any other year under him. It's not just that. It just feels like their whole atmosphere is becoming stale.  Could be an off year. Could be the fall of their big ten west dynasty.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 months later...

A look from the Wisconsin side of the field at their 10th game opponent: Nebraska Cornhuskers
https://badgerofhonor.com/2019/08/12/badger-of-honor-writers-predict-wisconsin-football-2019-schedule/10/

Nebraska enters the season as one of the most hyped teams in the nation and a trendy pick to win the Big Ten West in year two under Scott Frost. Is all of the attention justified?

It pains me to say, but I’m buying it.

In other news, Wisconsin seems to be opening the season (in two weeks) a bit thin at TE:

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'd be surprised if Mertz isn't starting by conference play. Nothing against Coan, but he's like every non-Russell Wilson Wisconsin QB in the past 10-15 years. The long-term writing was on the wall for Coan when they burned his redshirt for a bowl game against a Miami team they crushed the year before - they could've won that without a QB, just direct snaps to Taylor.

17 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd be surprised if Mertz isn't starting by conference play. Nothing against Coan, but he's like every non-Russell Wilson Wisconsin QB in the past 10-15 years. The long-term writing was on the wall for Coan when they burned his redshirt for a bowl game against a Miami team they crushed the year before - they could've won that without a QB, just direct snaps to Taylor.

I agree on Mertz but it’s a precarious spot for them. Open with a South Florida team I think they beat, but certainly one that could win if you gave them too many chances. Then game 3 is Michigan, game 4 is Northwestern, game 6 is Michigan St. Not a great opening half of the schedule to be introducing the QB of the future.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Danimal said:

Wiscy got sandbagged with our 2018 eastern draw and if anything it will be tougher this year since MSU's O should actually have a pulse. They had substantial losses on O-line and D. They'll be hard-pressed to win the west back this season. 

It's weird how much more love they get to win the division over say Minnesota. I understand they are a supposed constant in the west but this looks like their toughest season in awhile all things considered.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's weird how much more love they get to win the division over say Minnesota. I understand they are a supposed constant in the west but this looks like their toughest season in awhile all things considered.

It's much easier for the talking heads who don't have time to dig into all teams to stick with the status quo.  I believe Minnesota will be better than most think.  With these injuries, and that schedule, combined with either Coan or a true freshman, Wisconsin will indeed have a tough year.

Mertz will be good there I think, but I don't think he jumps in and succeeds right away like Martinez did.

• Plus1 2