** 2019 Opponent Previews : Wisconsin (Game 10) **

10 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Mertz isn't ready yet, but will likely be solid in a year or two.

That would basically be like our situation with McCaffrey, right?  He didn't win the starting job so there's really no reason to make him the #2 QB unless Coan gets hurt (or he passes him by later in the year).

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

That would basically be like our situation with McCaffrey, right?  He didn't win the starting job so there's really no reason to make him the #2 QB unless Coan gets hurt (or he passes him by later in the year).

I think it's similar, but it's a little different because I don't think there's a chance Coan starts over Mertz next year. So with McCaffrey we're fine stalling at least until Martinez is gone, but if Mertz takes off and appears to be better by midseason I don't know how they would keep his redshirt.

It'll be an interesting situation, I expect him to be their best QB at the end of the year - obviously could be wrong, but that's my guess. Do you get his feet wet early in the easy games knowing it may be hard to keep him off the field (and preserve the redshirt) late in the year? Or do you hold off playing him until you have to, and hope that it's the last few games of the year and he could still redshirt? Unless they drop out of the West division race early, I don't think he redshirts.

That's possible too, their schedule is tough! A doosmday scenario would be an ealry season fluke loss to an ok USF team, losing to Michigan and NW which they somehow always do. Then all of a sudden you're 1-3 and have Michigan State, @OSU, Iowa, @us, Purdue, and @Minnesota, with a couple easy games in there too. So 3-3 (Kent State and Illinois), and every one of the other games is loseable. I expect them to start 3-1, they'll squek by USF and finally beat some sense into NW. But their next 3 B1G games are the crossovers, and that could take them out of the race.

I don't care what anybody says, one thing that Chryst hasn't yet proven is whether or not he can develop quarterbacks.

Coan was a four star guy out of New York as a recruit. He could wind up being really good or he could be mediocre like Horny-bro. Either way, I hope Mo Barry dismantles him in a blind side sack on 11/16.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Here's some s***ty defense by Michigan. Safety takes himself out of the play; linebackers have no awareness. I know it's great execution by the Wisconsin line, but still...

giphy.gif

Here's the thing about plays like that.  Everyone's looks at that and thinks...WOW....what a great RB.  Well, we have at least two people on our team (and probably more) that could have made that run.  It's a good call, good execution from the O line and.....HORRIBLE defense.

Play sound defense and that play doesn't go to the house.