Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

On 5/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, knapplc said:

When the tag on the thread is "stay in your lane," it's pretty clear the OP intended this thread to be about AOC. I think most of us trying to have a legit conversation on the merits & troubles of the VA are off-topic. :D

To clarify, I don't need someone, who's never served, to tell me what doesn't need to be fixed when vets are committing suicide on VA grounds.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, walksalone said:

To clarify, I don't need someone, who's never served, to tell me what doesn't need to be fixed when vets are committing suicide on VA grounds.

Why did you single AOC out instead of titling this “Donald Trump and AOC” ? Neither of them served.

"Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is correct, the VA is not broken, it is doing great. But that is only because of the Trump Administration.”

—Donald Trump

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Why did you single AOC out instead of titling this “Donald Trump and AOC” ? Neither of them served.

Sorry, but the story in question involved her.  I don't want either of them to take care of our vets

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, walksalone said:

Sorry, but the story in question involved her.  I don't want either of them to take care of our vets

Wanting only vets to take care of vets is silly. Vets make up a tiny fraction of the population, so while vets should have an important voice in decisions about the VA, they certainly shouldn't be the only ones.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Wanting only vets to take care of vets is silly. Vets make up a tiny fraction of the population, so while vets should have an important voice in decisions about the VA, they certainly shouldn't be the only ones.

It's the "you've never played football so you can't comment on football" argument.

If the VA gets better I guarantee it's going to involve some people who never served in the military. Also, we don't know whether AOC has talked to members of the military. If she hasn't, then she shouldn't have stated her opinion yet because she doesn't have all the information she needs. I've talked to people who have used the VA and I think her statement is wrong. I just don't get why the topic wasn't about the VA, including AOC's comments on it, instead of on an 8 paragraph article on AOC. There are plenty of people who've said and done dumb things about the VA.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's the "you've never played football so you can't comment on football" argument.

If the VA gets better I guarantee it's going to involve some people who never served in the military. Also, we don't know whether AOC has talked to members of the military. If she hasn't, then she shouldn't have stated her opinion yet because she doesn't have all the information she needs. I've talked to people who have used the VA and I think her statement is wrong. I just don't get why the topic wasn't about the VA, including AOC's comments on it, instead of on an 8 paragraph article on AOC. There are plenty of people who've said and done dumb things about the VA.

I've worked at the VA, and I'd rather it be vets taking care of vets.  As far as the football analogy, it's nice, but doesn't fit the situation.  

The civilians that worked at the VA were the reason I left the job...

7 hours ago, walksalone said:

I've worked at the VA, and I'd rather it be vets taking care of vets.  As far as the football analogy, it's nice, but doesn't fit the situation.  

The civilians that worked at the VA were the reason I left the job...

Are you a physician Walks?  

I'm confused, are you saying that only doctors that have served should be working at the VA?  Can you help me understand why?  

I'd have to pull more data, but I work in several VA's and the number of professionals that served previously is minimal, and I don't think there would be enough to populate any VA if that was the criteria.  There is already a huge deficiency with people that want to work in the VA's, staffing would be even poorer if that criteria was put into place.

giphy.gif

What he’s getting at is there aren’t enough veterans with expertise in the right areas to man all of the VAs in the U.S.

Additionally, shouldn’t you want the best person at the job regardless of whether they’re a vet? Requiring the doctors and nurses to be vets really narrows down the pool. You’re just not going to get enough surgeons (and definitely not the best ones) if you’re only pulling from 1% of the population.

And the football comment does apply when you’re talking about people trying to fix the VA. We weren’t talking about employees at the VA before. We were talking about policy/funding.

• Plus1 1

giphy.gif

Fact of the matter is it is our elected officials jobs to set up the rules, regulations, guidelines, funding, ect. regarding the VA. A congressperson is entirely in their lane making comments on the VA because that is within the scope of their job. Not to say that AOC is right, but she as well as Trump have an obligation to address the VA. If you think she and Trump are wrong, call your representative and make it known this is a concern. Vote for people who will make this a priority. Help get people who are going to make a difference elected, because if not, nothing will change. These people you say shouldn't be taking care of vets are the ones making all of the decisions, but the good part is, we the people elect these people to these positions. 

• Plus1 4

Maybe the better analogy is football. The NFL celebrates its veterans and uses their legacy to promote the game. But when it becomes clear that the game itself has taken a physical and mental toll beyond most professions, the NFL distances itself from its veterans and does little to address their real life issues. That level of care is going to be expensive, and it comes with the admission that the sacrifice may not have been worth the toll — especially when faced with people who didn't make the sacrifice and wish you and your problems would go away quietly because they're bad for business. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-garden/

Been seeing 'cauliflower is racist' all over the conservative propaganda machine today and it just irks me. Their president is always jawing about fake news, well this is that. Firstly, AOC never used the term racist, and secondly, the conservative media is serving a gross misrepresentation of what she said. AOC was talking about community gardens in communities of color and how it makes more sense to grow culturally familiar vegetables in those gardens. In no way is she saying cauliflower is racist, in fact she was just using it as an example. But now conservatives are running with this clip and saying the left thinks cauliflower is racist...its infuriating.

Edit: I don't agree(or disagree necessarily) with her stance but the gross misrepresentation of it is terrible.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1