*** The Official 2019 Volleyball Nations League Thread ***

Getting back to updates for this thread. Team Good Guys went to Ekaterinburg, Russia to take on the Rooskies.

Much like the Cold War, this one didn't go so well for Team Borscht. 

Michelle Bartsch-Hackley, back with the Americans, led with 16 points, followed by Team Captain Jordan Larson with 15.

Not sure when Kelsey Robinson made the move back to Libero, but she started all three games in the back court, and acquitted herself well.

Mikaela Foecke has made the trip once again after missing last weekend (maybe due to a honeymoon or something?), but did not play in the match. Karch only played six position players today.

Scores for the match:  25-23, 25-17, 25-18.

Some ginormous photos, featuring Bartsch-Hackley and Larson about to impart severe violence to the ball.

I'm sure the ball had it coming.

0wPH1gs.jpg

Ewb9eFW.jpg

qe4lPb4.jpg

eJcrmuE.jpg

Match highlights.

• Plus1 1

Big-time comeback win over the Netherlands today in Ekaterinburg. Team Good Guys trailed 2-1, then won the fourth 28-26 before pulling away to win the fifth game 15-9.

Mikaela Foecke played all five games and was the team's second-leading scorer with 18 kills on 41 attempts. Annie Drews led the Americans with 20 kills on 41 attempts.

Karch once again messed with his lineup, and frankly I'm confused and have no idea why you'd do this, but Michelle Bartsch-Hackley, the team's best hitter, played all five games in the back court at Libero today.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kelsey Robinson switched from Libero to OH for the match, played all five games, and tallied 8 kills.

Jordan Larson did not play, apparently due to a coach's decision.

My only guess is that, because we're already qualified for the final rounds, Karch is experimenting with his lineup to get people experience all over. Or something.

It worked today, so, whatever.

USA topped the Dutch in every major statistical category. 

otLFJ7M.png

acsGE75.jpg

p3PeCna.jpg

tdxfW7y.jpg

8Jh99fh.jpg

• Plus1 1

Less than 24 hours after their last match, Team USA makes quick work of Thailand, sweeping them 25-13, 25-20, 25-17.

America outblocked the Thai 15-2 and held a 48-35 advantage in attacks. Karsta Lowe (UCLA) led the Americans with 20 kills, followed by a trio of players with 12 kills, Lauren Gibbemeyer (Minnesota), Haleigh Washington (Penn State) and Kelsey Robinson (Nebraska).

Karch continues to mess with his lineup, as Mikaela Foecke played the match at Libero. 

The US finished the preliminary round of 15 matches with a 12-3 record. 

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Less than 24 hours after their last match, Team USA makes quick work of Thailand, sweeping them 25-13, 25-20, 25-17.

America outblocked the Thai 15-2 and held a 48-35 advantage in attacks. Karsta Lowe (UCLA) led the Americans with 20 kills, followed by a trio of players with 12 kills, Lauren Gibbemeyer (Minnesota), Haleigh Washington (Penn State) and Kelsey Robinson (Nebraska).

Karch continues to mess with his lineup, as Mikaela Foecke played the match at Libero. 

The US finished the preliminary round of 15 matches with a 12-3 record. 

But did we celebrate too much?

• Haha 1

The US finishes the VNL preliminary round at 12 wins and 3 losses, tied with China for first. They also tied with China with 35 points. Evidently the tie-breaker isn't head to head since China is listed as number 1. It probably goes sets won / lost ratio then points won / lost ratio since that is how it is listed in the standings. China had a superior sets won / lost ratio over the US.

https://www.volleyball.world/en/vnl/women/resultsandranking/round1

Congratulations to Mikaela Foecke as I think she played her way onto the final round roster. She was a late add to the team in Russia and Mary Lake was a late withdrawal. Lots of speculation about Lake withdrawing (everything from personal reasons to Karch not being happy with her reception percentage) on the VolleyTalk boards but no concrete news.

Lets talk USA team Libero which is turning into the proverbial "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma." Lake is pulled at the last minute. Megan Courtney makes the trip but doesn't play a set AND (depending on which box score you look at for the China match), hasn't played in 6 matches. First Karch sticks Robinson at the position against the Russians, which makes sense since that is what Kelsey played the majority of last year in the VNL after Kiraly dumped Wong-Orantes from the line up early on. And then he puts Bartsch-Hackley, his best attacker and one of his better servers, back at Libero, a position she can do neither, in the Netherlands match. For the Thailand match, I was betting on Larson at Libero and instead he puts in a rookie with Foecke. I have no idea what is going on with Megan Courtney. Unsubstantiated rumor is that Kiraly thinks she is too slow. If that is the case or if she was injured, why was she on the roster. And still no word on the status of Mary Lake. Hell, if Kiraly is looking for more athleticism at Libero, he should take a long look at Kenzie Maloney. Or talk Kayla out of retirement (just kidding).

The final round is next. Last year they split up the six teams into two pools of 3. Those three teams play each other with the bottom team being eliminated from each pool. I don't know how the tie-breakers go (last year none were needed), but I imagine that if all three teams go 1-1, then they go to the match points (3 points for a slaughter, 2 points for a close win, and 1 point for a close loss),  then sets won / loss ratio, and finally points won / loss ratio. I'm not sure how they decide to set up the pools, but last year when the US won the preliminary round, one pool had the 1, 2, and 5 ranked teams, while the other pool had 3, 4, and 9 (9th being China which had automatic entry since they hosted). After pool play, the remaining four teams play a typical semifinals (no. 1 team from pool A plays no. 2 team from pool B and vice versa) and finals. If you get out of pool play, the teams play 4 matches in 5 days.

I don't know if, or how often, a team can adjust it's 14 roster line-up in the final round, but all indications are that Foecke will be on that list with Larson and Robinson. And at this point I would guess that Kiraly will carry one Libero, and rotate an outside hitter to that position if necessary.

And finally, what is the deal with China. Out of the 5 weeks of pool play, they play in their own country for 4 of them. China in week one went to Brazil (where they went 1-2 by the way) and since have not left the country (4 weeks and 12 matches going 11 - 1). Plus for the 2nd year in a row they host the championship. I understand that women's volleyball is popular in the country and as a pro, the Chinese leagues and teams pay well, but still, it looks a little rigged. Just sayin'.

• Plus1 1

For those following along, Mary Lake, one of the liberos, could not enter Russia for the final week of pool play because she lost her passport on the flight from China to Russia (or it was stolen from her). Megan Courtney has 'health issues" and has had them since pool play in China. What they are exactly----no idea.

For the final round, I expect one of the libero slots to be filled by Lake and the other by committee. As I stated previously, I think Foecke has earned a spot on the 14 team roster headed into the finals. It will be interesting to see if Rettke makes the finals roster or not. Nixon and Gibbemeyer would be the ones on the chopping block in my opinion. I know Ogbogu makes it, and I think Washington has earned a spot as well.

And now, a VLOG from one Kelsey Robinson::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZDOyMDyNFA

The fact that I'm watching this video (and actually enjoying it) probably means I have to turn in my man card. Which is fine. My man card wasn't worth a ton anyway.

And finally, a shout out to Karsta Lowe. Since she has rejoined the team, she has been relegated to the bench with the opposite position playing time being dominated by Drews and the freak that is Jordan Thompson. So when Karch finally calls her number, she simply puts up a 20 spot to lead all US players in the match against Thailand. A consummate PRO. You have to appreciate that.

• Plus1 1

The roster has been set for the final rounds of the VNL for 2019. Here is an article detailing the next matches in China:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/June/29/US-Women-Head-to-VNL-Finals-Seeking-2nd-Gold

Larson, Robinson, and Foecke populate the outside position along with Bartsch-Hackley. That trio of Huskers is almost a complete list of the elite outside hitters Cook has produced in the past decade. The only other American not on that list would be Kadie Rolfzen, and she made the USA team selected for the Pan Am games.

The Pan Am roster is essentially the best of the remaining USA players not making the VNL 25 player roster and also includes Plummer from Stanford on the outside, Hannah Tapp from Minnesota in the middle, and Samantha Seliger-Swenson at setter.

I badly missed on my prediction for the libero position as both Lake AND Courtney are on the team (no idea yet why Courtney didn't play the last 6 matches of the preliminaries) . The middles I guessed better at as Rettke was added to join Ogbogu, Washington, and Dixon. Gibbemeyer is the odd man out.

The biggest surprise for me (aside from Courtney making the trip) was Poulter being the other setter. I didn't realize Carlini was also tall, but both setters for the US are 6'2". Carli Lloyd started all 19 matches at setter last year during the VNL and was the setter for the 2016 Olympic Team which got the bronze. And she didn't make the roster.

And for all the B1G fans counting. 11 of the 14 players on the final VNL roster are from B1G schools with Nebraska leading the way with 3.

Matches start July 3rd and teams making it to the semis out of pools will play 4 matches in 5 days.

• Plus1 1

The finals of the VNL arre here. The US started pool B play by defeating Poland 21-25, 25-16, 25-15, and 26-24. Here are some stats and photos of the match:

http://www.volleyball.world/en/vnl/women/schedule/9994-usa-poland/post

Kiraly went with 7 again with Drew at opposite, Bartsch-Hackley & Robinson at attack, Ogbogu & Washington in the middle, Carlini at setter, and the big surprise at libero, Megan Courtney. Foecke and Larson didn't play. Drew had 21 kills in 41 attacks while Robinson was 15 in 30. Bartsch-Hackley had an off night having only 9 kills in 26 attacks. Again I was surprised to see Courtney at libero since it was her first action since week 3 in Lincoln.

An article from USA volleyball about the match:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/July/03/US-Women-Down-Poland-in-VNL-Finals-Pool

Next is Brazil on the 5th to complete pool B play as Brazil and Poland play tomorrow. Pool A consists of China, Turkey, and Italy. Turkey defeated China 3 - 1 in the first match of pool A play.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Undertow said:

I was surprised to see Courtney at libero since it was her first action since week 3 in Lincoln. 

I don't like this move. I know Karch wants her to transition to Libero for her USA career, but she's really not cut out for it.

She may not have played much since Lincoln because I'm pretty sure she suffered a concussion during warmups. Knocked heads with someone and she was clearly wobbled by it.

K-Rob is better suited to the role, and Lake is an overall better Libero than anyone. And frankly, I'm not convinced any of them are better than Wong-Orantes, so why she's not there I don't know.

Bottom line is, we're winning a lot. I guess it's working.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 1

I'm pretty sure that this was the 16th different line up in 16 VNL matches for Kiraly. He also doesn't like to substitute often going with 7 regardless how the match progresses. It will be interesting to see what he does against Brazil since the US has already qualified for the semis (actually both teams have qualified) with Poland being eliminated. It's just a matter do you want to play Turkey on the 5th or on the 6th. My guess it will be heavy with the 7 who didn't play in the first game with maybe the exception of Ogbogu in one middle and Carlini at setter.

As far as Wong-Orantes, her status in USA volleyball seems to have dropped off precipitously. From starting on the 2018 VNL team, to being replaced in the 3rd game by an outside hitter, to not even making the VNL team this year. In fact she originally was NOT on the Pan Am roster when it first came out on June 27th.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/June/27/Youthful-Womens-Roster-to-Represent-USA-at-Pan-Am-Games

Then they revised the roster (doesn't say why changes were made) and they added her as the 2nd libero.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/July/01/USAV-Selects-Womens-Pan-Am-Cup-Roster

• Plus1 1

The US team won pool B in VNL finals play  by beating Brazil in fairly convincing fashion  25-18, 25-19, 20-25, and 25-21. Here are stats and photos of the match:

http://www.volleyball.world/en/vnl/women/schedule/9998-usa-brazil/post

Jordan Thompson lit it up with 30 kills in 51 attempts from the opposite, while Larson and Foecke went 11 kills in 28 attempts and 10 in 26 respectively at the 'attack' or outside position. Highlights from the match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvugvld9HI&list=WL&index=7&t=0s

Some Thompson centric highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83lZnNx1Xc&list=WL&index=5

This is likely the 17th different line up in 17 matches in VNL play for Kiraly. The guess that this iine up would be heavy with the 7 people who didn't play in the first match of pool play came to fruition as it was a different line up with the exception of setter Carlini (not unexpected) and ........wait for it........libero where Courtney again played the entire match and Lake sat. I've given up trying to get into Karch's brain on the libero position. Kiraly did use 8 players this match by subbing in Robinson for Foecke. It had to be while Foecke was rotating to the back row since Kelsey had 0 kills on 0 attacks.

For those scoring at home, Jordan Thompson still has eligibility left at the University of Cincinatti where, last year, she had the third most kills in a single season in NCAA history.

The US will now play China in the semis (the "late" game starting at 7:30 AM Saturday morning). Turkey, which won pool A play, will compete against Brazil. At this point it is foolish to try and predict the line up, but since I have no self-respect I'll take a stab at it.  Bartsch-Hackley  and Robinson on the outside, Ogbugo and Washington in the middle, Drews intially at the opposite, Lake at libero (I know, pure guesswork) and Carlini at setter. Kiraly will be more a little more liberal in substituting and Thompson will essentially split the opposite time with Drews. If either outside struggles, Larson will be first off the bench.

• Plus1 1