One Millennial's Thoughts from the Coffee Shop

If she would have just stayed with the positives and being grateful for having the luxuries of a first world country, that would be one thing. But this just comes across as the "if you don't like it, then leave" mentality. We can be grateful to be living in America and still want to make it better.

• Plus1 3

There are also a million places she could be hanging out that would draw a much different picture than the hipster coffee shop where she felt safe to mock millennials. 

For that matter our Starbucks, located in one of the wealthiest counties in America, is a magnet for homeless and mentally challenged citizens of all ages.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The next generation will be spending a third or more of their income on healthcare --- that's a different America and it's insane.

Where did you get your numbers for this?

I pay for my own health insurance and it is just under 6% of my gross annual income.

There is so much exaggeration and political theater from both sides of the aisle that I did some real math on myself.

And I acknowledge it's a sample size of 1.

17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I pay for my own health insurance and it is just under 6% of my gross annual income.

There is so much exaggeration and political theater from both sides of the aisle that I did some real math on myself.

You either have a really good job, or really poor health insurance. 

40 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I did a quick Google search, nothing in depth.  But it looks like the average cost of health insurance per month is around $475 (without subsidy), family plans average around $1100 per month.  This doesn't include deductibles or co-pays.  The median US income is around $32000 per person ($2666 per month), or $60000 per household ($5000 per month).  That's 18% of income spent on premiums for just one person, or around 20% for a family. 

My wife is a nurse at Methodist in Omaha, it's descent insurance (not the best, but definitely not the worst).  The deductibles paid the year we had our kids, the year our kids had RSV, the year our kids had tonsils out, the year I had a melanoma removed, etc...  all different years, all a significant amount more than what we paid in premiums.

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I did a quick Google search, nothing in depth.  But it looks like the average cost of health insurance per month is around $475 (without subsidy), family plans average around $1100 per month.  This doesn't include deductibles or co-pays.  The median US income is around $32000 per person ($2666 per month), or $60000 per household ($5000 per month).  That's 18% of income spent on premiums for just one person, or around 20% for a family. 

Thank you for looking this up.

It's great that there's honest discussion about the main topic here. Most people who post in P&R - the ones who last - are here for honest, thoughtful discussion.

But let's be real. The website this came from is Baby Boomer propaganda. Your grandma is posting this on Facebook, or forwarding it to her email pals. This is easily debunked bunk. It's pablum meant to make a generation who f#&%ed up feel better about their f#&%ups. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's great that there's honest discussion about the main topic here. Most people who post in P&R - the ones who last - are here for honest, thoughtful discussion.

But let's be real. The website this came from is Baby Boomer propaganda. Your grandma is posting this on Facebook, or forwarding it to her email pals. This is easily debunked bunk. It's pablum meant to make a generation who f#&%ed up feel better about their f#&%ups. 

I'm not going to fault "grandma" for wanting AC after growing up in hot Nebraska summers.

I won't fault grandma for wanting indoor plumbing.

I won't fault grandma for wanting easier to cook meals for her kids.

I won't fault grandma for wanting to drive a car that gets 10 mpg instead of a buggy.

I won't fault grandma for supporting an economy that stripped the earth of resources (due to available technology) to make her family's life better.

I won't fault grandma for wanting to retire at 65.

But I will, sure as hell, fault grandma for not recognizing the situation we are currently in and actively rejecting available technology and research to make it better.  

Just now, funhusker said:

I'm not going to fault "grandma" for wanting AC after growing up in hot Nebraska summers. 

I won't fault grandma for wanting indoor plumbing. 

I won't fault grandma for wanting easier to cook meals for her kids. 

I won't fault grandma for wanting to drive a car that gets 10 mpg instead of a buggy.

I won't fault grandma for supporting an economy that stripped the earth of resources (due to available technology) to make her family's life better.

I won't fault grandma for wanting to retire at 65.

But I will, sure as hell, fault grandma for not recognizing the situation we are currently in and actively rejecting available technology and research to make it better.  

As a Gen-Xer, my grandma lived through all of that. But she didn't work her a$$ off on a farm with no A/C and raise four kids so she could pull the ladder up behind her when she got somewhere and achieved something through her hard work.

I don't know why the generation she raised did that. It wasn't through direct efforts on the part of the Greatest Generation. Maybe it was benevolent ignorance. But the kids that generation raised - the Boomers - should be better than they are. Instead a ton of them are gullible ignoramuses that too easily blame the children they raised for the troubles they caused.

All I know is, I have no beef with Millennials. I like avocado toast. And I'm raising the next generation to be ready to work their a$$ off more than their grandparents, more than me, more than Millennials.

Because they're going to have to if they're going to raise grandkids of their own.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the OP: this is a lot like the memes that go through social media about how we were raised.

"Please share if you rode a bike without a helmet, rode in the back of a pickup without a seat belt, and sat next to grandpa while he smoked to show everyone you survived!"  

There is a segment of the population that actually shares it....

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

As a Gen-Xer, my grandma lived through all of that. But she didn't work her a$$ off on a farm with no A/C and raise four kids so she could pull the ladder up behind her when she got somewhere and achieved something through her hard work.

I don't know why the generation she raised did that. It wasn't through direct efforts on the part of the Greatest Generation. Maybe it was benevolent ignorance. But the kids that generation raised - the Boomers - should be better than they are. Instead a ton of them are gullible ignoramuses that too easily blame the children they raised for the troubles they caused.

All I know is, I have no beef with Millennials. I like avocado toast. And I'm raising the next generation to be ready to work their a$$ off more than their grandparents, more than me, more than Millennials.

Because they're going to have to if they're going to raise grandkids of their own.

My parents never talked politics with us growing up.  But I remember the conversation at around 8/9 I had with my dad when he discovered I killed a robin with my bb gun.  That conversation about responsibility and the importance of everything's place, and importance, in the world stuck with me.  Not until 20 years later did I find out we shared the same voter registration.  Some of the Greatest Generation (my grandparents) did a good job raising the Boomers (my dad).