One Millennial's Thoughts from the Coffee Shop

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I’m mostly thinking about jobs for people who work for an employer. Jobs where a person could rather easily up and leave the city for a small town. In the context we’re in I’m not talking about the people who can afford to live in San Francisco because they aren’t relevant to the conversation. The relevant people would be the ones that would make $0-$150k in the small town who can’t afford to live in the city. There aren’t many small town jobs that pay $50-150k, at least in my small town.

You can live in a city where you make 80,000 but a house costs 200,000 or a small town, make 60,000 and a house costs 75,000. 

Most decent sized towns towns in Nebraska have factories and industries that need employees, electricians, construction workers, accountants....etc. 

i revently had to hire someone from Texas to move here and work. Their family loves it here now and the cost of living is much lower than where he was. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You can live in a city where you make 80,000 but a house costs 200,000 or a small town, make 60,000 and a house costs 75,000. 

Most decent sized towns towns in Nebraska have factories and industries that need employees, electricians, construction workers, accountants....etc. 

i revently had to hire someone from Texas to move here and work. Their family loves it here now and the cost of living is much lower than where he was. 

Are there a lot of jobs in your town paying $60k / $28/hour?

The lack of digital jobs is probably the biggest thing. How much work is there to go around for people working in digital journalism, photography, coding, web development, system admin, graphic design, video, social media marketing, and so on? 

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are some.  But, even if not, there are towns where there are companies having a very hard time finding people in this range.  

There are far, far more people in the big cities than the small towns - there's simply no way for a sizable number of people to move and get jobs.

4 hours ago, Fru said:

"GenX are a Retirement Time Bomb for the American Economy"

https://medium.com/utopiapress/genx-are-a-retirement-time-bomb-for-the-american-economy-8de323da970f

Interesting article. Thought it hit some relevant points to this thread. 

That's depressing since I'm in that group (52 years old).  That is partly because of economic conditions.  But, a lot of it is because a lot of people in my generation who have the means, have just been stupid about saving.  

One nice thing is, since the baby boomers are out of the work force and we aren't going to have any immigration anymore......there should be a job for them to work in till they are 90.