Moos Contemplates Bringing Alcohol To Memorial Stadium

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

In 5-4-3-2-1......people start complaining about the ridiculously high prices of beer in Memorial Stadium.

Which points out ways to control the consumption in the stadium.

a)  $8-10 beers.....AD makes a lot of money and someone's not going to sit there and drink 15 beers.

b)  limit the number of concession venders walking through stands selling it.

c)  Limit the number any one person can buy.

Another option is to only have it sold at concessions under the stands.  No walking vendors.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

News flash.  Some sky boxes already serve beer.  It's just hush hush.  I've sat in one drinking beer before.  

There are lots of times people go without beer. In fact, even if they sell beer at the stadium, people can still go without beer.

But beer and football belong together. And I’m saying this as someone who doesn’t like beer.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

In 5-4-3-2-1......people start complaining about the ridiculously high prices of beer in Memorial Stadium.

If we go that route I'd love to see us follow the lead of places like the new mercedes benz stadium in Atlanta and have legitimately affordable and not price gouged concession prices. Then also have a wristband system where you get a mark from a sharpie for each beer, and you can only purchase a max of 3-4.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

News flash.  Some sky boxes already serve beer.  It's just hush hush.  I've sat in one drinking beer before.  

Yep!

The sky box owner UPS/FedEx their booze during the week.  It arrives at the box and it left right inside the door (maybe outside the door, I can't remember) and that owner either stops up on Friday and puts it all in the fridge/cabinets or they just do it early Saturday morning.  About they only thing the staff even says is "make sure it is in a red cup"

47 minutes ago, Landlord said:

If we go that route I'd love to see us follow the lead of places like the new mercedes benz stadium in Atlanta and have legitimately affordable and not price gouged concession prices. Then also have a wristband system where you get a mark from a sharpie for each beer, and you can only purchase a max of 3-4.

Sounds like a foolproof system that nobody could get around or abuse.
giphy.gif

• Plus1 1

a)  $8-10 beers.....AD makes a lot of money and someone's not going to sit there and drink 15 beers.

Another option is to only have it sold at concessions under the stands.  No walking vendors.

Yeah the typically higher concession prices do have a limiting effect. Personally, I'd like to have 1 or 2 during a game if they have good beer options (i.e. not just Bud, Coors, Miller etc).Unfortunately there are those who would drink 6 or more, puke on the people in front of them and turn into a loudmouth asshat. So I guess higher prices aren't that bad of a thing.

Challenge accepted

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah the typically higher concession prices do have a limiting effect. Personally, I'd like to have 1 or 2 during a game if they have good beer options (i.e. not just Bud, Coors, Miller etc).Unfortunately there are those who would drink 6 or more, puke on the people in front of them and turn into a loudmouth asshat. So I guess higher prices aren't that bad of a thing.

So otherwise, how do you like the football games in Boulder?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

All reasonable suggestions IMO though, personally, I'd go without the $8-10 beer price gouging. I think the other measures are responsible enough.

I think there are also two really important things to keep in mind here. (I'm speaking generally and this isn't directed at you btw, BigRedBuster). First, I don't think alcohol sales in the stadium will have any more of a statistically significant impact on the number of unruly fans than what alcohol currently causes. If someone wants to get blitzed and cause problems in the stadium, they're already doing it. They're just overloading on drinks ahead of time.

Second, I strongly dislike the whole 'we can go a few hours without alcohol' stance some people have. Yes, obviously, but it's a sporting event. A lot of people enjoy beers/mixed drinks/wine when they're at sporting events. By and large, most people handle it OK. And these aren't pop warner kids we're watching. They're division one athletes - full bore adults themselves - several of whom can ALSO legally drink.

• Plus1 1

When I was in college, the bar actually sold carry out small bottles of whiskey to take with you to the game.  Buy a cup of coke and sit and watch while enjoying a nice jack and coke.  I had a room mate in ROTC and they were required to clean the stadium the next morning.  He said he was amazed at how many bottles they would pick up out of the stands.  I've sat there recently at games wishing I had a bottle to fix a mixer.  I just don't see that anymore.  If people are doing it, they are hiding it really well.

I'm saying this to point out that alcohol in the stadium used to be a major thing and the University pretty much looked the other way.  NOW....it's looked at as some huge scandal if we are actually going to sell beer (not even whiskey) in the stadium and the AD actually made money off of it.

If the large amounts of alcohol that was consumed in the stadium in the 80s wasn’t a problem, I don't see it being a problem now.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Moos?  More like Booze...am I right?

If we get beer in memorial stadium then moos not only needs a statute but a friggen building named after him.  

Great football coach  check

Great basketball coach  check

Booze in memorial stadium. Check 

Thats a triple threat right there.

• Plus1 1