Moos Contemplates Bringing Alcohol To Memorial Stadium

8 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Keep in mind, much higher liability insurance in Memorial stadium.

What liability do they have in the stadium? I believe you pretty much give up any rights like that simply by using your ticket for admission. And generally government entities aren’t liable for much of anything anyway. If (and that’s a big if) they do happen to purchase an excess liability policy, I’m guessing the possible minor increase in premium would be offset a thousandfold by the booze revenue.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:26 PM, JJ Husker said:

Yeah I don't think selling beer in the stadium is going to cause any worse problems. If anything, beer sales may cut down on cases of people getting completely sh#tfaced. Right now those who want to, sneak in hard liquor because those bottles are easier to conceal.  Nobody is wasting their time sneaking in lower alcohol content beer. When I was a student it was half pints of Yukon Jack or Southern Comfort. Long story short, anyone who is wanting to get inebriated already is. I don't really care one way or the other but I would have a beer or two during a game.

On occasion I will sneak in my plastic flask (not identifiable by metal detectors) and buy a Sierra Mist or Mt. Dew and mix away. Share with the Mrs. and it isn't enough to get crazy, just for fun. I actually would be opposed to open alcohol sales in Memorial because I know enough people who simply can't handle it, even if it is just beer sales. I've been to enough bowl games to see some pretty stupid behavior by drunk fans. At the 95 Orange Bowl some drunk Husker fans behind us decided they didn't want to miss the game to use the bathroom and pissed in their cup and poured it under our seat, so that pooled around our feet and soaked my aunt's sweatshirt. Pretty gross, and they were obnoxious even amongst supporting fans. 

I've been to the last 3 games at Minnesota and they sell alcohol and have never seen a problem there. Of course their fans are so nice I wouldn't anticipate any issues. Unlike CU in the 80's when they sold beer in the stadium and the fans were terrible to begin with. Bad combination there. 

8 minutes ago, Husker77 said:

On occasion I will sneak in my plastic flask (not identifiable by metal detectors) and buy a Sierra Mist or Mt. Dew and mix away. Share with the Mrs. and it isn't enough to get crazy, just for fun. I actually would be opposed to open alcohol sales in Memorial because I know enough people who simply can't handle it, even if it is just beer sales. I've been to enough bowl games to see some pretty stupid behavior by drunk fans. At the 95 Orange Bowl some drunk Husker fans behind us decided they didn't want to miss the game to use the bathroom and pissed in their cup and poured it under our seat, so that pooled around our feet and soaked my aunt's sweatshirt. Pretty gross, and they were obnoxious even amongst supporting fans. 

I don’t believe this would precipitate any more of a problem than exists now. Asshats will always be a problem. If someone likes to drink too much and can’t handle it, they’re already doing that now. I have to believe your bowl game example would easily get someone kicked out of Memorial stadium with a simple complaint. Ive had minor league hockey tickets for years with ample booze sales and I’ve seen a couple things but nothing that would make me think they should quit selling beer. Not even close.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t believe this would precipitate any more of a problem than exists now. Asshats will always be a problem. If someone likes to drink too much and can’t handle it, they’re already doing that now. I have to believe your bowl game example would easily get someone kicked out of Memorial stadium with a simple complaint. Ive had minor league hockey tickets for years with ample booze sales and I’ve seen a couple things but nothing that would make me think they should quit selling beer. Not even close.

I hope now those who are already intoxicated are denied entry to Memorial before it gets worse. I agree that asshats are the problem, with or without alcohol. It just seems alcohol fuels them. I also was at our game against South Carolina in 2011 (Capitol One?) and there were some annoying drunks there too. Depending on where you sit at Memorial, I agree that behavior would be an immediate expulsion. I'm not a supporter of alcohol sales, but am open to it. It would be interesting to have a trial basis and see how it goes. That would allow attendees to be on their best behavior if they want it to be a permanent addition. Good points, thank you. 

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

What liability do they have in the stadium? I believe you pretty much give up any rights like that simply by using your ticket for admission. And generally government entities aren’t liable for much of anything anyway. If (and that’s a big if) they do happen to purchase an excess liability policy, I’m guessing the possible minor increase in premium would be offset a thousandfold by the booze revenue.

Drunk.  Steep stair aisles especially second and third decks.  Or stadium fences .... falling down.

6 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Drunk.  Steep stair aisles especially second and third decks or stadium fences .... falling down.

My point was that by using your ticket for admission you assume all risks incident to attending the event and the ticket holder agrees to hold harmless the University and other participating schools from any damages or injuries that might arise in the course of being a sports spectator. (That is a quick synopsis of what is printed on the back of the tickets)

So, they really don’t have any liability to speak of....as long as they are not found negligent. My limited understanding of legal liability matters is the one thing they can’t waive liability for is their own negligence. But getting drunk and falling down stairs or over a code height railing is not their negligence so have fun trying to sue them for your own drunken actions. Hint, you very probably won’t win. And I’m using “you” as an example, not saying you are the one who would get drunk and injured.

1 hour ago, CapoValley said:

I have no issue with alcohol in the stadium, I’d welcome it even,  but my goodness this sounds like a logistical nightmare. I could see you missing half a quarter at least if you went to a concession for a beer in most parts of the stadium. 

The simplest solution to this is that everyone has the ability to decide if waiting in line is worth more than missing some game.

19 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Drunk.  Steep stair aisles especially second and third decks.  Or stadium fences .... falling down.

This was a tragedy.  This is also an insanely manipulative and BS argument.  This happened in the second inning of the game so the odds of this man being over served in the stadium is basically zero.  It is a pathetic move by you to use this man's untimely death as your argument.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This was a tragedy.  This is also an insanely manipulative and BS argument.  This happened in the second inning of the game so the odds of this man being over served in the stadium is basically zero.  It is a pathetic move by you to use this man's untimely death as your argument.

I don't even think he'd be drunk, his son was with him. I hope his son is okay and grows up fine despite what happened.

• Plus1 1