Moos Contemplates Bringing Alcohol To Memorial Stadium

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/alcohol-in-memorial-stadium-husker-a-d-bill-moos-considers/article_55b08eaf-0667-57ef-8509-c2806a38a84a.html

Nebraska football’s sellout streak spans more than a half-century. At least seven times a year, the city and Memorial Stadium are packed with red, so NU Athletic Director Bill Moos knows there isn’t anything broken with the fan experience.

But Moos wants to stay ahead of the curve. He knows younger fans — like his own children in their 20s — have entertainment options that didn’t exist the last time NU won a conference title in 1999. The hook isn’t as easily set in them as it might have been a prior generation.

So while Moos isn’t itching to make big changes at the moment, aside from a South Stadium renovation that helps gets fans to their seats, he's keeping the door open to a number of ideas — including alcohol at Husker football games for the suites and loge levels.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

All for it, at the very least in the suites and any upgraded seating.

You're either all in or you are all out, they already have booze up there by the way. They just aren't making any money off it.  

Because a bunch of 20 year olds, the target he talks about, sit in the suites.   I'm sure his privileged kids do.

11 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

You're either all in or you are all out, they already have booze up there by the way. They just aren't making any money off it.  

Well, isn't that the point? It's the difference between the status quo and 'allowing'/selling it.

Because a bunch of 20 year olds, the target he talks about, sit in the suites. I'm sure his privileged kids do.

Keep in mind that a lot of 20-year-olds work in professional industries that their companies have suites (mine does), their families have suites, or they may one day want to have a suite. This basically boils down to the fan experience, much like upgraded video screens or free stadium wifi.

I wouldn't get bogged down in Bill's suggestion that alcohol in the stadium is for the primary purpose of attracting young adults. I think it helps, but, I know plenty of older adults that want it too and it's certainly a piece to the puzzle that needs to be evaluated.

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I would worry less about alcohol and more about streamlining the exit after the game for those of us in the North Stadium...what a nightmare :bang

I had a question about that. I haven't sat in south since I was a student, but Moos is talking about renovations to it as if crowd control is an issue. I don't really remember it being one.

But, I have sat in north a few times in the last 10 years, and it's abysmal trying to get out of there. I would've thought north would be more of a priority, but perhaps that will be part of the expected facilities upgrades in north? Or maybe south really is bad, too?

• Fire 1
20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I had a question about that. I haven't sat in south since I was a student, but Moos is talking about renovations to it as if crowd control is an issue. I don't really remember it being one.

But, I have sat in north a few times in the last 10 years, and it's abysmal trying to get out of there. I would've thought north would be more of a priority, but perhaps that will be part of the expected facilities upgrades in north? Or maybe south really is bad, too?

I remember when they were renovating East stadium getting to South stadium seats was an absolute nightmare. 

Having sat in both north and south stadium, I feel both need more exits. Both sides are usually stuck waiting in line. I usually sit around and wait the crowd out and talk with my family or other people around waiting for the rush to end. So you either leave early or late or wait with the crowd. I am usually not in a hurry after games but I know some people are and that may be a factor why I do not mind waiting around. Long story short both could use more exits. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I would worry less about alcohol and more about streamlining the exit after the game for those of us in the North Stadium...what a nightmare :bang

Holy moly, man woman and child, do I hear your groans in the aisles.

We were lucky enough to move down during the Riley Era when people were pissed off enough to dump their seats. 50 rows in three years - the equivalent of generations of moving onward & downward. But when we sat in Section 35, Row 84, we didn't even try to leave games for at least 15 minutes, and a lot of times more.

We have the 25th largest stadium in the world. A veritable palace for sports. But that doesn't mean we don't need to upgrade it.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1