First (Blank) President

First (Blank) President  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the Dem party would be putting a wet blanket on their progressive talk if they nominate one of the old white guys.  Therefore, I expect the Dems to eventually nominate one of these 3, listed below, unless a sleeper surprises us like a Andrew Yang.   However, if the Dems want to play it safe just to get Trump out of office, there is a good chance they will slow down the progressive move to the left  by picking Uncle Joe Biden. 

The Dems have an opportunity to nominate a qualified female candidate for president in 2020.  They also have the opportunity to nominate a openly gay man for President - Mayor Pete.

Or the Dems could be less progressive and nominate one of the 'old white guys'. 

To me, I am intrigued by Mayor Pete - not because he is gay, straight or whatever label others give him but because he comes across as a very thoughtful, intelligent candidate - who still needs to develop deeper policy positions.  But his first job is to get his name out their in the public and he's done a good job of doing so.

I also think Sen Harris and Sen Warren stand out as female candidates.  Agree with her policies or not, Sen Warren has come out as a policy wonk who knows her stuff and isn't afraid to put it down on paper.  Sen Harris, is the combative type who could stand toe to toe wt Trump (if she wants to get that close mind you :zoom :o)  She has used her role on the judiciary committee to her advantage, out shining Sen Booker IMHO. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/05/democrats-running-for-president-crowded-field/

Democrat are dedicated to progressivism in the same way that Republicans are dedicated to fiscal conservatism. When it's convenient to espouse those virtues, they do. When they want to win the White House, they go with what they think will win.

Unless they find Biden with a trunk full of dead hookers, they're going to nominate Biden. If they'd have done that four years ago we wouldn't be in this mess. So it goes.

• Plus1 1

I can honestly say I don't care.

I don't say that to be snippy.  It's just something I really don't care about.  Sure, I'm glad we got over the hump of electing a black person.  But....these types of questions are not something I ponder nor really care about.  I want a good President no matter if they are white, male, black female, gay....whatever.  And, when we elect a woman or gay person, I hope it's based on them being a good candidate instead of everyone getting excited about electing the first xyz person.

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

they're going to nominate Biden. If they'd have done that four years ago we wouldn't be in this mess. So it goes.

I kinda agree, but I'm also remembering that moment back in 2015 when Hillary assumed the mantle she was denied 8 years earlier, Bernie Sanders seemed to pose no threat, and there are rumblings that Joe Biden might enter the race. Hillary has a machine in place, but so does Barack Obama, and you have to think the Obama machine would have shifted over to Biden, not Hillary. I gotta imagine that behind closed doors the Democrats saw a bloodbath of their two standard-bearers going after each other. It would have gotten ugly. It's estimated that 25% of people who voted for Hillary in the 2008 primary voted for McCain/Palin in the general election, for reasons that can only be attributed to bitterness that Clinton was pushed aside by the younger and more agile Obama campaign. In 2016, a Biden nomination would have felt like straight up misogyny to many.

But if I can skip right to election day 2016, it's hard not to see Biden beating Trump.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I kinda agree, but I'm also remembering that moment back in 2015 when Hillary assumed the mantle she was denied 8 years earlier, Bernie Sanders seemed to pose no threat, and there are rumblings that Joe Biden might enter the race. Hillary has a machine in place, but so does Barack Obama, and you have to think the Obama machine would have shifted over to Biden, not Hillary. I gotta imagine that behind closed doors the Democrats saw a bloodbath of their two standard-bearers going after each other. It would have gotten ugly. It's estimated that 25% of people who voted for Hillary in the 2008 primary voted for McCain/Palin in the general election, for reasons that can only be attributed to bitterness that Clinton was pushed aside by the younger and more agile Obama campaign. In 2016, a Biden nomination would have felt like straight up misogyny to many.

Someone needs to write a book exposing the back-door machinations that kept Biden out of the 2016 campaign. That would all be fascinating.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't say that to be snippy.  It's just something I really don't care about.  Sure, I'm glad we got over the hump of electing a black person.  But....these types of questions are not something I ponder nor really care about.  I want a good President no matter if they are white, male, black female, gay....whatever.  And, when we elect a woman or gay person, I hope it's based on them being a good candidate instead of everyone getting excited about electing the first xyz person.

Same. Don't care anymore. Just be good.

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Democrat are dedicated to progressivism in the same way that Republicans are dedicated to fiscal conservatism. When it's convenient to espouse those virtues, they do. When they want to win the White House, they go with what they think will win.

Unless they find Biden with a trunk full of dead hookers, they're going to nominate Biden. If they'd have done that four years ago we wouldn't be in this mess. So it goes.

Well stated.

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep - I don't care about all of these 'labels'.  Just be good, not a hack, or not be anything close to being a Trump.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Maybe. I think Biden would have lost to Trump, but we'll never know. Plus, Biden being President doesn't fix the underlying problems that allowed Trump be elected.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Maybe. I think Biden would have lost to Trump, but we'll never know. Plus, Biden being President doesn't fix the underlying problems that allowed Trump be elected. 

It's not the Democrats job to fix the Republican party. The developments that made the GOP spit out Trump have been brewing in their party for more than 50 years, and there's not really anything Democrats can do about them.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's not the Democrats job to fix the Republican party. The developments that made the GOP spit out Trump have been brewing in their party for more than 50 years, and there's not really anything Democrats can do about them.

It's the Dems job to fix the Republican party by beating them in elections. They could start by running on issues that the people want instead of what their donors want.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Biden would have beaten Trump easily.  Hillary wouldn't have lost to Trump if not for Comey's email.