** 2019 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 5) **

OSU will always have the potential to be good, because they will always have the best recruiting classes in the conference.  

It is really tough to say how well Day will do taking over for Urb.  He did very well in his 3 game audition last year.  I actually think the team looked better under his coaching in the first three games than it did for most of the season under Urban.  

• Plus1 2
On 6/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Fields will be one of the best QB's in the conference and will be in the running for awards and accolades post season. Not sure why anyone is suggesting otherwise. Do people forget this guy was right behind Trevor Lawrence in the 2018 class?? He will be great for yall. Don't understand why people are predicting such a dropoff.

Lawrence won the job and then played great.  Fields did not win the job, then quit and transferred.  To me that speaks to the mental fortitude of each individual.   That, combined with the shaky spring game, leads me to wonder how Fields will hold up with live rounds.

Being #2 in a recruiting class doesn't guarantee success, especially when he is already on school #2.  How many transfer qbs, besides grad transfers, have become All Conference type players or more?

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Lawrence won the job and then played great.  Fields did not win the job, then quit and transferred.  To me that speaks to the mental fortitude of each individual.

It doesn’t.

One guy became the starter. The other didn’t. Guys who don’t become starters are more likely to transfer regardless of mental fortitude.

And winning starting jobs has a lot more to do with talent and the talent in front of you than it has to do with mental fortitude.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Lawrence won the job and then played great.  Fields did not win the job, then quit and transferred.  To me that speaks to the mental fortitude of each individual.   That, combined with the shaky spring game, leads me to wonder how Fields will hold up with live rounds.

Being #2 in a recruiting class doesn't guarantee success, especially when he is already on school #2.  How many transfer qbs, besides grad transfers, have become All Conference type players or more?

I do not know the number, but Baker Mayfield & Kyler Murray come to mind.

Edit: Also Will Grier, Cam Newton

Just now, Moiraine said:

It doesn’t.

One guy became the starter. The other didn’t. Guys who don’t become starters are more likely to transfer regardless of mental fortitude. And winning starting jobs has a lot more to do with talent and the talent in front of you than it has to do with mental fortitude.

He obviously made the decision to go there knowing talent was in front of him, didn't win immediately, then quit.  That speaks directly to mental fortitude and decision making.  If playing right away was the goal, he should have gone somewhere else day 1.

2 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I do not know the number, but Baker Mayfield & Kyler Murray come to mind.

Good points, but both to the same school which is the best offensive system in the country.  It'll be interesting to see Fields and Johnson this year in the Big Ten.

10 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Fromm>Bryant and its not even close. There is a reason Fromm is the projected #1 pick next draft despite the fact he is a JR. The situations are not apples to apples.

As far as your final question, you may have had a point 3 years ago but with the direction things are heading with transfers we will be seeing alot more all conference type players moving around. Hurts will probably be an All American this year so that gives you two hiesman winners and an All American QB in the last 3 years. Granted all at the same school, but Ohio State is the same type of program.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He obviously made the decision to go there knowing talent was in front of him, didn't win immediately, then quit.  That speaks directly to mental fortitude and decision making.  If playing right away was the goal, he should have gone somewhere else day 1.

You’re comparing 2 people. You have no idea what Lawrence would have done if he hadn’t won the starting job. Lots of QBs transfer when they aren’t the starter. There are loads of QBs you’d say lack mental fortitude using the same argument that have been very successful in college and/or the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You’re comparing 2 people. You have no idea what Lawrence would have done if he hadn’t won the starting job. Lots or QBs transfer when they aren’t the starter.

I'm using two people as an example but the sentiment stands for anyone who quits after things don't immediately go their way.  If you go to a school with talent you should expect to have to earn a job. That involves work.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Fromm>Bryant and its not even close. There is a reason Fromm is the projected #1 pick next draft despite the fact he is a JR. The situations are not apples to apples.

As far as your final question, you may have had a point 3 years ago but with the direction things are heading with transfers we will be seeing alot more all conference type players moving around. Hurts will probably be an All American this year so that gives you two hiesman winners and an All American QB in the last 3 years. Granted all at the same school, but Ohio State is the same type of program.

He knew Fromm was there from the onset.  He still went there and then he quit.

All those guys went to Oklahoma who still has a top 5 coach. OSU just lost their top 5 coach, so I don't think you can call that apples to apples either using your own logic. :cheers

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I'm using two people as an example but the sentiment stands for anyone who quits after things don't immediately go their way.  If you go to a school with talent you should expect to have to earn a job. That involves work.

And you have no idea what Lawrence would have done so you shouldn’t have made that comparison. And given what we know about talented QBs transferring, it’s highly likely he would have transferred. 

Troy Aikman, Vince Ferragamo, Baker Mayfield, and as Nebfanatic pointed out there are several poised to make an impact moving forward in Fields, Martell, etc.

Not a quarterback example, but do you think Tre Neal lacked mental fortitude? Rumor was he was not going to start at UCF, which factored into his transfer decision. I think kids are just realizing 4-5 years is not a lot of time, and if you're not playing at Clemson/Alabama/Georgia there are still plenty of places you can play. Especially at QB where only one guy plays. And in this case Fields a better fit for Ohio State's offense anyway, maybe he just realized that too late.

• Plus1 2

He knew Fromm was there from the onset.  He still went there and then he quit.

All those guys went to Oklahoma who still has a top 5 coach. OSU just lost their top 5 coach, so I don't think you can call that apples to apples either using your own logic. :cheers

People change their minds all the time. I really have no idea why Fields wanted out of Georgia. I don't think it is far at this point to say that Field's lacks mental fortitude and decision making. We will see how it pans out for him at OSU. Also, I think it would be foolish to judge a player based on a single spring game.

When did Rliey become a top 5 coach?

• Plus1 1