** 2019 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 5) **

1 hour ago, Elaida said:

Fields is a monster on the ground and the long bomb is good.  If he learns to check down and stay in the pocket he'll be unstoppable.  He just needs in game snaps and reps, reps reps.  Not to be underestimated.   

Nebraska's had a couple QBs lately who just needed to learn to check down and... while they were pretty good they weren't unstoppable. Hopefully if he does figure it out, it'll be after we play them this season.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nebraska's had a couple QBs lately who just needed to learn to check down and... while they were pretty good they weren't unstoppable. Hopefully if he does figure it out, it'll be after we play them this season.

It's not exactly apples to apples.  Big Red's problem has always been checking down to the wrong colored Jersey.  

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, Salsa Red said:

I don't think programs have sustained success after Meyer leaves them. We'll see with Day.

A few thoughts from a Buckeye:

Ryan Day was the offensive coordinator for two years under Meyer.  Meyer describes Day as the best OC he's ever had.  By hiring ''in-house'', there is a lot of continuity.  The strength and conditioning guys and the recruiting coordinator and other key personnel hand-picked by Meyer remain in the program.  Day retained most of the coaches but did make three coaching changes on defense.  Day was a QB coach under Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles and the San Francisco 49er's.  Ohio State is putting together another top-5 recruiting class for 2020.   Meyer remains employed at Ohio State in the athletic department and can continue to help the program.  

We will see what Day does.  He certainly has received a LOT of support and FAR more than a brand new coach hired from outside of the program would have received. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, Landlord said:

Utah didn't immediately keep the same leve of success but they certainly did a great job sustaining their program after him. Four years later they went undefeated and depantsed an Alabama team that was ranked #1 for like 5 weeks straight.

Florida, you're right.

tOSU seems to sustain success through everyone though.

Well, when you're the coach of the Florida Gators and you lose, at home, to Georgia Southern, you're probably not the right coach for that program.  Florida should have hired Dan Mullen when Meyer left.  Mullen IS a good coach with a record of over-achieving.  Don't be shocked if the Gators beat Georgia this year and play for the SEC title. 

On 5/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, Undone said:

It'll be interesting to see whether they'll stick with an offensive scheme that resembled more of a 'Texas Mack Brown' style passing spread that they had with Haskins, or if they'll go back to more of the Power Run Spread that they had ran more of in most of Meyer's previous seasons there.

Day wants to run a pro-style offense and get away from Meyer's running-QB system, although he may need to run Justin Fields more than he would like until such time that he has his QB's in the program, but that will take at least two years.  

• Plus1 1
On 6/7/2019 at 6:31 PM, BlitzFirst said:

I mean I've read a few different ones giving quite a bit of hype to him...I don't just make s#!t up.  Here's a few with about 30 seconds of googling.

1. https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-quarterback-rankings-2019
  2. https://www.offtackleempire.com/2019/4/8/18300228/best-quarterback-in-the-big-ten-2019-patterson-martinez-fields-stanley
  3. In this piece it shows JF has same Heisman odds to win as AM because, you know...so much evidence shows that he's absolutely as good as AM and will put up all those numbers...his appx 40 passes in college ball ensures that.

Fields SHOULD have a nice year in Columbus.  If he doesn't, then he's probably a bust and that would be a real shame for Buckeyes as Fields is the highest rated player to play for Ohio State since recruiting services began rating players.  

As for betting odds, Fields might not be a bad bet in that the odds are probably very good and Fields may end up running AND throwing for a lot of yards and a lot of scores.  Who knows?  That's why they call it ''gambling''.  

31 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

Day wants to run a pro-style offense and get away from Meyer's running-QB system, although he may need to run Justin Fields more than he would like until such time that he has his QB's in the program, but that will take at least two years.  

Day is wildly more competent than Riley was, but man I get triggered hearing s#!t like this remembering how it went for us.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Day is wildly more competent than Riley was, but man I get triggered hearing s#!t like this remembering how it went for us.

I'm not sold that Fields is going to be a good pro-style, college QB.  He may be ''good'' in that he may be able to gain yards and scores running the ball, but that isn't ''pro-style'' to me.  Still, we had to take him because he is probably better than what we had in the pipeline.  Tate Martell was another one of those running QB's that Meyer loved so much who was no longer a fit at tOSU.  Right now, we have commitments from the #2 pro-style QB for 2020 and the #5 for 2021.  

I was never a fan of Meyer's offenses, although it was fine when we were winning.  I thought they were gimmicky.  My belief is to recruit GREAT pro-style players and run a pro-style system.  The top talent wants to play in that type of a system in order to be ready for the NFL.  As well, the way to beat Bama, Clemson, etc. is to have a GREAT quarterback that can drop back and throw dimes across the field to streaking receivers or pitch it to the all-world back that can take it to the house.  The QB should be a distributor and NOT a jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none.  Mediocre teams need to put their best athlete at QB so that the ball is in his hands all the time.  Great programs shouldn't have to do that.  

11 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

I'm not sold that Fields is going to be a good pro-style, college QB.  He may be ''good'' in that he may be able to gain yards and scores running the ball, but that isn't ''pro-style'' to me.  Still, we had to take him because he is probably better than what we had in the pipeline.  Tate Martell was another one of those running QB's that Meyer loved so much who was no longer a fit at tOSU.  Right now, we have commitments from the #2 pro-style QB for 2020 and the #5 for 2021.  

I was never a fan of Meyer's offenses, although it was fine when we were winning.  I thought they were gimmicky.  My belief is to recruit GREAT pro-style players and run a pro-style system.  The top talent wants to play in that type of a system in order to be ready for the NFL.  As well, the way to beat Bama, Clemson, etc. is to have a GREAT quarterback that can drop back and throw dimes across the field to streaking receivers or pitch it to the all-world back that can take it to the house.  The QB should be a distributor and NOT a jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none.  Mediocre teams need to put their best athlete at QB so that the ball is in his hands all the time.  Great programs shouldn't have to do that.  

I know you guys are feeling good about Day, but based on this description I have an underrated coach for you. His name is Mike Riley. I haven't seen it in person, but I've been told his system does all these things and more!