** 2019 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 5) **

32 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

The top talent wants to play in that type of a system in order to be ready for the NFL.  As well, the way to beat Bama, Clemson, etc. is to have a GREAT quarterback that can drop back and throw dimes across the field to streaking receivers or pitch it to the all-world back that can take it to the house.  

I went and looked at all of Alabama's losses since 2011:

'11 LSU - dual threat

'12 A&M - dual threat

'13 Auburn - dual threat

'13 Oklahoma - dual threat

'14 Ole Miss - drop back

'14 Ohio State - Cardale wasn't a true dual threat but he was used in the running game a lot in crucial design

'15 Ole Miss - Chad Kelly seemed like he had some decent mobility but the scheme was more pro style

'16 Clemson - dual threat

'17 Auburn - Stidham isn't really dual threat but he got 1/3 of his season's rushing yards in that game

'18 Clemson - pro style

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I went and looked at all of Alabama's losses since 2011:

'11 LSU - dual threat

'12 A&M - dual threat

'13 Auburn - dual threat

'13 Oklahoma - dual threat

'14 Ole Miss - drop back

'14 Ohio State - Cardale wasn't a true dual threat but he was used in the running game a lot in crucial design

'15 Ole Miss - Chad Kelly seemed like he had some decent mobility but the scheme was more pro style

'16 Clemson - dual threat

'17 Auburn - Stidham isn't really dual threat but he got 1/3 of his season's rushing yards in that game

'18 Clemson - pro style

Good post.  It's my personal opinion that a pro-style system is the best for our program, but that's not to say that it's the only way to win.  As soon as we went to a pro-style QB, we began getting interest from the cream of the WR recruiting crop.  So, yea, I prefer a system wherein we have an elite QB throwing to elite receivers.  That opens the running game and it's a fun system to watch and to play in.  

7 hours ago, K9Buck said:

A few thoughts from a Buckeye:

Ryan Day was the offensive coordinator for two years under Meyer.  Meyer describes Day as the best OC he's ever had.  By hiring ''in-house'', there is a lot of continuity.  The strength and conditioning guys and the recruiting coordinator and other key personnel hand-picked by Meyer remain in the program.  Day retained most of the coaches but did make three coaching changes on defense.  Day was a QB coach under Chip Kelly with the Philadelphia Eagles and the San Francisco 49er's.  Ohio State is putting together another top-5 recruiting class for 2020.   Meyer remains employed at Ohio State in the athletic department and can continue to help the program.  

We will see what Day does.  He certainly has received a LOT of support and FAR more than a brand new coach hired from outside of the program would have received. 

Except for the top 5 recruiting class, this guy sounds like OSU's Frank Solich.

• Fire 1
22 hours ago, K9Buck said:

I'm not sold that Fields is going to be a good pro-style, college QB.  He may be ''good'' in that he may be able to gain yards and scores running the ball, but that isn't ''pro-style'' to me.  Still, we had to take him because he is probably better than what we had in the pipeline.  Tate Martell was another one of those running QB's that Meyer loved so much who was no longer a fit at tOSU.  Right now, we have commitments from the #2 pro-style QB for 2020 and the #5 for 2021.  

I was never a fan of Meyer's offenses, although it was fine when we were winning.  I thought they were gimmicky.  My belief is to recruit GREAT pro-style players and run a pro-style system.  The top talent wants to play in that type of a system in order to be ready for the NFL.  As well, the way to beat Bama, Clemson, etc. is to have a GREAT quarterback that can drop back and throw dimes across the field to streaking receivers or pitch it to the all-world back that can take it to the house.  The QB should be a distributor and NOT a jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none.  Mediocre teams need to put their best athlete at QB so that the ball is in his hands all the time.  Great programs shouldn't have to do that.  

Ummm, Meyer has had the most prolific offenses, a pro style would be a step back IMO. Pro style may be the way in the NFL but in college spread is easier to implement. I still think Day will do great but it's very unrealistic to think he'll have the same success as Meyer.

• Plus1 1
On 6/28/2019 at 4:38 AM, Ulty said:

Except for the top 5 recruiting class, this guy sounds like OSU's Frank Solich.

Solich was asked to hang on to some coaches, he should have let go. Not all the problems were his own doing. I thought and still do, that he should have been given more time, to right the ship. He was no T O but, he was a deserving of a little more time. 

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

21 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

Ummm, Meyer has had the most prolific offenses, a pro style would be a step back IMO. Pro style may be the way in the NFL but in college spread is easier to implement. I still think Day will do great but it's very unrealistic to think he'll have the same success as Meyer.

It's still going to be a spread offense, Day just prefers less qb running. It'll be what they ran last year with Haskins, although it might be more like the JT Barrett offenses while Fields is there. 

I believe there will indeed be a drop off without Urban and Haskins. This includes finally losing to Michigan and I believe we will finally take them as well.  To assume Fields will be able to step in and replace (with different skills sets) the production of Haskins is no small task.  Sure Fields was a great high school player, but has yet to establish himself in college.  Parris Campbell at wideout is a huge loss and those who watch football on Sundays will see his name a lot this year.  I know, the Buckeyes have the recruiting classes to reload, but that does not mean they will be the dominant force of the past several years.  

On 6/28/2019 at 2:04 AM, K9Buck said:

Good post.  It's my personal opinion that a pro-style system is the best for our program, but that's not to say that it's the only way to win.  As soon as we went to a pro-style QB, we began getting interest from the cream of the WR recruiting crop.  So, yea, I prefer a system wherein we have an elite QB throwing to elite receivers.  That opens the running game and it's a fun system to watch and to play in.  

Do you remember the last time Ohio State ran a pro-style system?  I'll give you a hint:  

John Cooper at The Game in 2014.jpg 

And I can tell you one team up North loved that guy.  ;)

On 6/28/2019 at 1:04 AM, K9Buck said:

Unless you can recruit consistently in the top 5 nationally, I wouldn't go after Pro Style QBs....OSU has proven they can so I guess it could work for them. There are just way more DT QBs than there are elite Pro style QBs. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I’m excited about OSU going away from mobile QBs. 

I can understand that from an opponents standpoint. Barrett had to be frustrating to play against. 

It will be interesting to see what a Day/Wilson/Yurcich offense will look like. If Fields progresses early in the season as a passer, I don't see him running much by the end of the year. The group of offensive coaches will want to rely on his arm and run the ball with Dobbins. Outside of the support staff and retaining Larry Johnson, keeping Brian Hartline to coach the WR group has been the best move Day has made since taking the HC job. Fields will have plenty of quality WRs to work with.

3 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

Do you remember the last time Ohio State ran a pro-style system?  I'll give you a hint:  

And I can tell you one team up North loved that guy.  ;)

Cooper didn't understand the OSU/Michigan game. Tressel changed that,  Meyer embraced it, and I think Day understands it. 

Like many here I’m pensively optimistic for this game. I don’t fear being blown out (30+ point loss); my bigger fear is OSU starting slow, coming in “barely” undefeated or with a loss and using NU as the turn-around game winning by 14 or something and dominating two of the three game facets.

There’s no science behind the concern just some experiences in the last 20 years. NU should keep a game close and gets smacked around by a formerly struggling team. 

I like our direction.  The kids’ physiques are looking better; I hope they continue to develop an expect to win mentality and stay business-like when they see success.