Fighting Erstads at the B1G Tournament - Championship Game vs. Ohio State

No matter who wins, we should have an advantage both in bullpen and in not having played just before the title game starts (read: kids will be fresh). Oh, and the game is in Omahaaaa, which helps us out slightly. 

Here’s hoping Erstad can win they tourney and it’s enough to snag a regional bid. 

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Here’s hoping Erstad can win they tourney and it’s enough to snag a regional bid. 

Erstad definitely schedules tough enough that as long as they finish above .500, they'll be in more often than not (2015 was an exception, I think Texas tanked that year, go figure and screw them).  Not to dump in the middle of a successful conference tourney run, but better play from the end of March to beginning of May, and this team might have had a shot at hosting a regional.  But they're definitely in somewheres.

7 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Erstad definitely schedules tough enough that as long as they finish above .500, they'll be in more often than not (2015 was an exception, I think Texas tanked that year, go figure and screw them).  Not to dump in the middle of a successful conference tourney run, but better play from the end of March to beginning of May, and this team might have had a shot at hosting a regional.  But they're definitely in somewheres.

Erstad himself brought it up in the postgame from the second Michigan game IIRC, so maybe someone clued him in to something we’re not privy to? 

I do know the NCAA likes giving regionals to Nebraska when they can, because people show up to the games and they make money in Lincoln—the NCAA even said something to this effect back in the mid-00s when we hosted our last one. And a regional in Lincoln would sell out the stadium, I know that much. 

11 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Any word yet on who takes the hill to start the game? Does Erstad bring Waldron out again on short rest? Luensmann still available to carry the load as well.

Nothing yet, probably won't know until they release the starting lineups.

Also I'll be there again for the game! Go Big Red!

53 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Any word yet on who takes the hill to start the game? Does Erstad bring Waldron out again on short rest? Luensmann still available to carry the load as well.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Waldron + Waldron two step.  Having Luensmann still available is nice too.

11 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

No matter who wins, we should have an advantage both in bullpen and in not having played just before the title game starts (read: kids will be fresh). Oh, and the game is in Omahaaaa, which helps us out slightly. 

I think they're solidly in regardless of today's result, D1baseball has them as #2 seed right now.  

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

I think they're solidly in regardless of today's result, D1baseball has them as #2 seed right now.  

Yeah our RPI is too good to miss our especially with another win over Mechicken. the question is if our performance at the tourney would be enough to push us into hosting a regional, which I doubt but you never know.

Anybody got a preference as to who we play? Maybe OSU since they haven't seen us this year? They're currently up to 2-0 with bases loaded and one out.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yeah our RPI is too good to miss our especially with another win over Mechicken. the question is if our performance at the tourney would be enough to push us into hosting a regional, which I doubt but you never know.

Anybody got a preference as to who we play? Maybe OSU since they haven't seen us this year? They're currently up to 2-0 with bases loaded and one out.

I think hosting is a big stretch as it looks like the bottom projected seeds are A&M, LSU and UNC which are all from the traditional powerhouse conferences and all 3 of those do a really nice job of hosting and will all draw big crowds (especially at LSU obv).

As for who I'd rather see, I'm with you on Ohio State...it's someone different.  I'd like to see Minnesota rally back a little bit on offense and beat up on Ohio State's pitching a bit more.  The nice thing is NU can expect a big time home field advantage.  They got 10k yesterday afternoon and I wouldn't be shocked to see 15k+ this afternoon.  Weather is absolutely perfect out and it's a holiday weekend to boot.  Great day for a zoo + baseball game doubleheader.

23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think hosting is a big stretch as it looks like the bottom projected seeds are A&M, LSU and UNC which are all from the traditional powerhouse conferences and all 3 of those do a really nice job of hosting and will all draw big crowds (especially at LSU obv).

As for who I'd rather see, I'm with you on Ohio State...it's someone different.  I'd like to see Minnesota rally back a little bit on offense and beat up on Ohio State's pitching a bit more.  The nice thing is NU can expect a big time home field advantage.  They got 10k yesterday afternoon and I wouldn't be shocked to see 15k+ this afternoon.  Weather is absolutely perfect out and it's a holiday weekend to boot.  Great day for a zoo + baseball game doubleheader.

I know I'm down here again and this time I'm bringing my parents and little brother plus his girlfriend, so there's 5 more than yesterday!

I know OSU isn't a traditional powerhouse in baseball but it would be kind of sweet to take down a top dog in the Big Ten football/basketball and send them home. Agree on Minny needing to do some work for us on their pitching. Right now they just scored on a sac fly and have a man on 2nd with 2 outs in the bottom of the 5th.

As long as whomever we play has a tired and depleted bullpen and our kids show up with their head on straight, it shouldn’t matter too much who we play. 

Im thinking Ohio State would be nice, but I wonder if our kids will have done their homework on their tendencies like we did twice over for Minny. That matters when you’re a team that likes making long counts and grinding down pitchers. 

• Mavric changed the title to Fighting Erstads at the B1G Tournament - Championship Game vs. Ohio State