Fighting Erstads at the B1G Tournament - Championship Game vs. Ohio State

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't really expect this in baseball but this  reminded me of volleyball.  Can we not afford high-speed cameras with our $50M+ B1G dollars so you can actually see these things clearly?

The kicker is, they have HiDef cameras for the in-game replay. This is just some dude taking a snapshot of his TV or streaming feed.

That's so clearly safe I can't imagine how you don't overturn that call. Crazy pants.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Never mind that as of 5/24 Nebraska ranked 201st in the nation in team batting average (.259), 213th in slugging % (.367), 179th in runs, etc. etc.

We need better hitting, Schwellenbach was great during the tourney, if Gomes can get his bat going and others progress we should have some solid hitters.

Whew, just got back. Driving through some pretty heavy rain to get back out west was a pain. Some observations from the ballpark:

• Not to pick on individual players, but yes Gomes definitely has a giant hole in his swing. There's a reason he's batting 9th and a smidgen above .200, it's not an accident. The did is big and presumably strong, and takes violent hacks at the ball, but it's rare you see a guy swing that hard with such trouble, you know, actually hitting the ball. He was dead weight at the bottom of the order all tournament - one hit I believe. I definitely agree with those saying he either needs to dedicate himself to improving his craft this summer with a coach or focus on pitching. His hit tool sucks at this point and we can't afford to just forfeit a spot in the order.
  • Re: runs scored/batting - I don't get too deep into statistics or rankings for hitting, but what has bothered me the past couple years was that Husker teams seemed to always choke with runners on and a chance to put runs on the board. This year's team seems to have been better. It was not today.
  • I too was bitterly disappointed that Henwood (? - I think it was him) swung at the first pitch Magno threw him after Gunner earned that RBI via a walk. The crowd was about as fired up as it was all day at that point, and Magno was definitely having trouble hitting his spots. I was hoping Henwood could work out a tough AB and force Magno to throw him strikes.
  • Way to go, Big Ten replay system. They were showing the frames proving Palensky was safe ON BTN after the game. They really, really dropped the ball in an infuriating way on that one. Just no excuse for screwing up a call that consequential in a championship game. Reminds me of putting 00:01 back on the clock for Tejas to kick a field goal. Also, I don't know if he was the same guy from last night, but that crowd absolutely HATED the umpire by the end of that game.
  • Ultimately - losing sucks but none of it matters. We came out completely flat AND couldn't get any luck all day on batted balls AND OSU got very lucky on their batted balls AND we got hosed by officiating throughout the game. Sometimes it's just not your day and you tip your hat to your opponent. Those two pitchers for OSU put on a very gutty performance so good on them. Our postseason is still right in front of us. Hell, hopefully today kicked this team in the @$$ in the same way getting embarrassed by Michigan yesterday did and we go into regionals with our hair on fire.

Can't wait for our next game. GBR!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Over the previous 11 games (before today), we averaged 6.9 runs per game which would have been roughly Top 15 among Power 5 schools over the season.

BUT LOOK AT THIS ONE GAME THE REINFORCES MY NARRATIVE!!!!

I don't pretend to follow the baseball team incredibly closely but, we have entire season numbers to gauge the entire season so we don't need to extrapolate a selective sample size. Also, I don't care if they average 15 runs per game for 40 games in a row if every single year the bats go cold every chance there's hardware on the line. 

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't really expect this in baseball but this  reminded me of volleyball.  Can we not afford high-speed cameras with our $50M+ B1G dollars so you can actually see these things clearly?

@Enhance might be able to speak more to this than me, as I don't have a ton of knowledge about the broadcast side as much as film production side, but I believe the biggest hang up with this is data transfer speeds. For the kind of frame rate and resolution fidelity that you imagine when you think of solving this problem, you're talking several gigabytes of data per second, per camera, all having to feed into a central hub and record to drives, and then also have the cpu power to have clean playback of all of them at the same time. I'm sure it's possible but that kind of package with the cameras, cables or wireless receivers, data hubs, hard drives, cpu horsepower would be extremely expensive (and that's for one single loadout) and I imagine not very cost effective.

4 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I said the same thing as soon as they started showing the replay.  It would not be overturned because they use such low definition cameras.  There was no way to prove anything conclusively.

The cameras aren't low definition - your cable/satellite/streaming feed is. To be fair, maybe the review feed is as well, but the main issue here is framerate, not resolution. 

13 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

The upside to this loss is that it likely knocked Michigan out of the NCAA Tourney. The B1G is getting four teams in: Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska, and Ohio State. I doubt we’ll get five, and Michigan is the first to get cut.

Regardless, this loss underscores the need for a hitting coach replacement. The lack of patience at the plate today, coupled with the lack of power and copious amounts of strikeouts underscores this. 

As much as I'd love to see UM out, I'd be stunned if they didn't make it in.  41-18, 39 RPI, 6-10 against the top 50 plus a 16-7 conference record should be good enough to get them in.  I guess I'll put it this way too, I want to see Michigan in over a team like say OU, Mizzou or Florida because UM schedules a lot like Nebraska and if the roles/records were reversed, we'd be clamoring pretty hard for NU to be in.

8 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Whew, just got back. Driving through some pretty heavy rain to get back out west was a pain. Some observations from the ballpark:

• Not to pick on individual players, but yes Gomes definitely has a giant hole in his swing. There's a reason he's batting 9th and a smidgen above .200, it's not an accident. The did is big and presumably strong, and takes violent hacks at the ball, but it's rare you see a guy swing that hard with such trouble, you know, actually hitting the ball. He was dead weight at the bottom of the order all tournament - one hit I believe. I definitely agree with those saying he either needs to dedicate himself to improving his craft this summer with a coach or focus on pitching. His hit tool sucks at this point and we can't afford to just forfeit a spot in the order.
  • Re: runs scored/batting - I don't get too deep into statistics or rankings for hitting, but what has bothered me the past couple years was that Husker teams seemed to always choke with runners on and a chance to put runs on the board. This year's team seems to have been better. It was not today.
  • I too was bitterly disappointed that Henwood (? - I think it was him) swung at the first pitch Magno threw him after Gunner earned that RBI via a walk. The crowd was about as fired up as it was all day at that point, and Magno was definitely having trouble hitting his spots. I was hoping Henwood could work out a tough AB and force Magno to throw him strikes.
  • Way to go, Big Ten replay system. They were showing the frames proving Palensky was safe ON BTN after the game. They really, really dropped the ball in an infuriating way on that one. Just no excuse for screwing up a call that consequential in a championship game. Reminds me of putting 00:01 back on the clock for Tejas to kick a field goal. Also, I don't know if he was the same guy from last night, but that crowd absolutely HATED the umpire by the end of that game.
  • Ultimately - losing sucks but none of it matters. We came out completely flat AND couldn't get any luck all day on batted balls AND OSU got very lucky on their batted balls AND we got hosed by officiating throughout the game. Sometimes it's just not your day and you tip your hat to your opponent. Those two pitchers for OSU put on a very gutty performance so good on them. Our postseason is still right in front of us. Hell, hopefully today kicked this team in the @$$ in the same way getting embarrassed by Michigan yesterday did and we go into regionals with our hair on fire.

Can't wait for our next game. GBR!

Well said.  +1.  Came here to post a lot of the same stuff that you've articulated above.  It'll be interesting to see what happens with Gomes going forward.  He's a terrific athlete and a big ol target which makes him a great 1b defensively...but damn he's a total black hole.  I'm willing to chalk up this year as true frosh growing pains and will be curious to see if he can make the adjustment to the D1 level.  His arm talent is absolutely legit and we'll see if he stays in the closer spot or if they try and stretch him out.  I always wonder a little bit when you have a position player that doubles as a closer because college baseball is so weird and so emotional and if you have a kid that is struggling on offense or has a bad game if he can flip the switch when his number gets called.

The Henwood AB was a rough one...Magno was all over the place and I felt he was tilting a little bit after walking Helstrom.  I feel like Henwood should've tried to take a couple pitches and see if Magno would've thrown a WP or given NU another run.  It's a little hard to not be results orientated but even if he'd gotten a hit, I still would've felt like Henwood bailed him out by swinging at the first pitch.

Man...that 2nd replay is a tough one.  No qualms on the first replay as Roskam clearly missed his hand and the OSU guy was safe.  It sure looked like Palensky beat the throw.  I know umps try to listen for the 'pops' of the ball hitting the glove and the runner's foot hitting the bag when determining close plays so it would be nice to see if they can add some mics to the bases to help give the umps audio w/ visual when making replay calls (I have no idea if this is already in place so if it is, obviously disregard.)

Was really impressed with Perry and Schanaman pitching their guys out in really big spots.

Would like to see Nebraska get shipped to the Lubbock or Stillwater regional all things considered.  Although I'd imagine they'll probably get shipped out to Fayetteville which will be a tough out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

UM schedules a lot like Nebraska and if the roles/records were reversed, we'd be clamoring pretty hard for NU to be in.

Michigan's non-con SOS is ranked 222nd (yes, that's three 2s), Nebraska's is 5th.  41 wins may do it, but they're being projected as either one of the last ones in, or as d1baseball put it, "in but not comfortably."

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

I don't pretend to follow the baseball team incredibly closely but, we have entire season numbers to gauge the entire season so we don't need to extrapolate a selective sample size. Also, I don't care if they average 15 runs per game for 40 games in a row if every single year the bats go cold every chance there's hardware on the line. 

So every team has the exact same opportunity to prepare and practice?  And teams can't get better as the season goes on?

We averaged 7 runs per game in the tournament.  In the first four games we averaged 8.5.  That would seem to be when there's hardware on the line.  I'm pretty sure you have to win previous games to get to the title game.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So every team has the exact same opportunity to prepare and practice?  And teams can't get better as the season goes on?

We averaged 7 runs per game in the tournament.  In the first four games we averaged 8.5.  That would seem to be when there's hardware on the line.  I'm pretty sure you have to win previous games to get to the title game.

There's hardware on the line in a game where you win you get the hardware, you lose you don't. But sure, the games leading up to that are important to get there.

Erstad's 13-19 in postseason play and 1-6 in the NCAA tourney, with the same perceived issues as to why that haven't changed over 8 seasons.

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

There's hardware on the line in a game where you win you get the hardware, you lose you don't. But sure, the games leading up to that are important to get there.

Erstad's 13-19 in postseason play and 1-6 in the NCAA tourney, with the same perceived issues as to why that haven't changed over 8 seasons.

Good job avoiding answering the questions.