Fighting Erstads at the B1G Tournament - Championship Game vs. Ohio State

18 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Don't they have the type of high def cameras for BIG football broadcasts? Why couldn't BIG use the same equipment? Perhaps i'm missing something or don't fully understand the need for different equipment between football and baseball broadcasts. 

Well, I think the specific camera Mavric is talking about (featured in the photo above) is primarily used for volleyball. Perhaps it's utilized in other types of sports broadcasts but, for the most part, football broadcasts are using the much larger and more expensive cameras. That little thing above the net would at best work as a pylon cam and nothing else.

The other piece to this is that there are 'crews' and equipment sets dependent on the type of broadcast. They use a lot of semi-trucks to haul equipment and, for the most part, equipment is specific to the trucks/crews. So, a football crew is different than a VB crew, especially since they're happening at roughly the same time each year. They assign crews based on a variety of factors including what type of sport it is, how big the viewing audience for the event will be, what camera requirements are needed, etc. You don't need near the same amount of equipment for a VB broadcast that you do a football broadcast, for example. A VB broadcast is also not as important/interesting as other sports, generally speaking, so you're not going to devote your best resources to it.

There's just a lot that goes into it, more than it would seem on the surface, and it again gets back to the fact that it's volleyball and I imagine there isn't a priority on it.

18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Well, I think the specific camera Mavric is talking about (featured in the photo above) is primarily used for volleyball. Perhaps it's utilized in other types of sports broadcasts but, for the most part, football broadcasts are using the much larger and more expensive cameras. That little thing above the net would at best work as a pylon cam and nothing else.

The other piece to this is that there are 'crews' and equipment sets dependent on the type of broadcast. They use a lot of semi-trucks to haul equipment and, for the most part, equipment is specific to the trucks/crews. So, a football crew is different than a VB crew, especially since they're happening at roughly the same time each year. They assign crews based on a variety of factors including what type of sport it is, how big the viewing audience for the event will be, what camera requirements are needed, etc. You don't need near the same amount of equipment for a VB broadcast that you do a football broadcast, for example. A VB broadcast is also not as important/interesting as other sports, generally speaking, so you're not going to devote your best resources to it.

There's just a lot that goes into it, more than it would seem on the surface, and it again gets back to the fact that it's volleyball and I imagine there isn't a priority on it.

Yeah, I get the cost-benefit part of it for normal baseball or volleyball broadcasts. But for the BIG baseball tournament, where there are not any other conference events requiring a broadcast, I would think the conference would be able to roll out the "nice" cameras. But apparently I am wrong as I'm sure there are reasons for it which might be those that you address. 

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I see what you're getting at now. You're talking about the camera that provides LOS for the top of the net.  I misunderstood (or unintentionally ignored) your 'top of the net' remark earlier. I think I read that and was thinking of a different angle.

I don't know what cameras they're using there. I did a quick Google search and found the below photo. It almost looks like some kind of DSLR even though I don't think that's what it is. Upgrading those cameras to what you're talking about would still be a fairly pricy expenditure I would imagine, because it would have to be able to interface with the switchboard and meet all of the other requirements for a sports broadcast production, but it probably wouldn't be hundred of thousands of dollars. Perhaps of tens of thousands. But, that would still be for just one crew. You'd likely still have to upgrade multiple, and there might be some additional technical items to update.

My blind assumption is it just boils down to the broadcast companies believing what they have serves the purpose they need it to, and they don't see much reason to upgrade at this point in time.

vb.jpeg

I don't think it is either, but it could be a DSLR. Pretty sure that's what they use on that floor mounted dolly track camera during the Final Four.