50 States, 50 Dishes

My wife makes a ham ball appetizer and they’re addictive. They’re basically a meat ball made with ham and sausage but the kicker is a very tangy sauce that I believe involves grape jelly and probably some vinegar based on how tangy they are. I know one thing, there are never enough of them.

I've had 38 of the things on that list and 11 or 12 of those in the corresponding state. 2 that I've had, Lobster Roll and Philly Cheese steak, I'd really like to someday get the authentic version in the state listed. I've had some really good cheesesteaks but they have all been at least slightly different than the authentic Philly ones I've seen on TV. And I'm sure a Lobster Roll in Maine would put to shame the ones I've had.

Probably the most unlikely items I've had in the correct state are;

Crab Cakes in Maryland

Pulled pork w vinegar sauce in North Carolina

Boiled peanuts in Virginia

Key Lime Pie in Florida

Bison steak in Wyoming

A little disappointed that softshell crab was not listed for DC. I got one there years ago and they said it was a seasonal specialty of the area. Of course I hated it. It was served as a sandwich, I bit into it and all this green and black crap came squirting out the sides. It was literally a whole crab with the shell on it. The shell was about the consistency of shrimp tails but tougher and way more prevalent. I had them remove it from the table and bring me a Reuben :lol:

I am from Nebraska but live in southwest Ohio, and I draw an equivalency between the Runza and Cincinnati Chili, in terms of how locals enjoy these foods compared to outsiders. I personally love Runzas, and it is one of the things I simply must get every time I visit Nebraska. But pretty much every friend I had in Nebraska who was from out of state absolutely hated Runzas and did not understand how the locals could eat it.

Similarly, people love their version of chili in the Cincinnati area: they have two different popular fast food chains with many locations to serve the stuff. It is a chili heavily seasoned with cinnamon and cumin served on top of spaghetti. I salute their use of the spices as I appreciate bold flavors, but it is an odd flavor overall, especially when they drop it on a bed of spaghetti and sprinkle plastic orange cheese on top. Chili is not a pasta dish, folks. Pity poor Zac Taylor, as he not only has to coach a horrible Bengals franchise, but he is probably up to his ears in this bizarre pasta-chili that all the weirdos out here seem to like.

Man, I would kill for a Runza right now.

• Fire 1
11 hours ago, Ulty said:

Similarly, people love their version of chili in the Cincinnati area: they have two different popular fast food chains with many locations to serve the stuff. It is a chili heavily seasoned with cinnamon and cumin served on top of spaghetti. I salute their use of the spices as I appreciate bold flavors, but it is an odd flavor overall, especially when they drop it on a bed of spaghetti and sprinkle plastic orange cheese on top. Chili is not a pasta dish, folks. Pity poor Zac Taylor, as he not only has to coach a horrible Bengals franchise, but he is probably up to his ears in this bizarre pasta-chili that all the weirdos out here seem to like.

Very little about that sounds appetizing :lol:. I did recently become a fan of Moroccan spice mixes though and they utilize cinnamon, but it's fairly complementary to the other flavors. Too much and it's all you can taste.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Very little about that sounds appetizing :lol:. I did recently become a fan of Moroccan spice mixes though and they utilize cinnamon, but it's fairly complementary to the other flavors. Too much and it's all you can taste. 

Have you ever had Massaman curry? It's heavily influenced by cinnamon. I love it.

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Have you ever had Massaman curry? It's heavily influenced by cinnamon. I love it.

I have not, but I just looked up a few recipes and it has a lot of spices/ingredients I love. Do you homemake it or is there a local restaurant you've enjoyed it at?

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I have not, but I just looked up a few recipes and it has a lot of spices/ingredients I love. Do you homemake it or is there a local restaurant you've enjoyed it at?

I had it at a restaurant and loved it so much I found a good recipe and made it at home. I'll post it in the Recipes forum.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Ulty said:

I am from Nebraska but live in southwest Ohio, and I draw an equivalency between the Runza and Cincinnati Chili, in terms of how locals enjoy these foods compared to outsiders. I personally love Runzas, and it is one of the things I simply must get every time I visit Nebraska. But pretty much every friend I had in Nebraska who was from out of state absolutely hated Runzas and did not understand how the locals could eat it.

Man, I would kill for a Runza right now.

skyline chilli or Cincinnati Chili is awful

Runza's are great I just had 2 on Tuesday

My dream has always been to win the lottery and Buy a brand new vehicle and great video equipment and Start on the East Coast, and try different steak houses from state to state. 

There is a guy on youtube, Strictly Dumpling, I found totally by accident, but watching him travel all over the world and trying different foods, he should land a job on Travel Channel or Food Network.  Mike Chen can eat.