Multiple Husker Game Times Announced For 2019 Season

Ugh....why the 11:00 start for the opening game. I have a super long drive and already bought tix assuming the opening game would be at night like it always is. I am sure they didn't want to repeat the fluke that happened last year with the canceled game, but it may will be baking in the heat for a late August day game.

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Ugh....why the 11:00 start for the opening game. I have a super long drive and already bought tix assuming the opening game would be at night like it always is. I am sure they didn't want to repeat the fluke that happened last year with the canceled game, but it may will be baking in the heat for a late August day game.

ESPN grabbed the NU game for that time slot, so blame the TV partners.  Honestly, an 11:00 kickoff may be the best time to avoid the heat which can happen in a day game.  I have been to 2:30 kickoffs for that first game, and there were people passing out in the stands, as peak heat during the summer is 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I don’t recall opening games always being at night. That seems like a recent thing. 

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t recall opening games always being at night. That seems like a recent thing. 

Looking back at recent schedules, the following openers have been at night:  2013, 2016, 2017, and 2018 (scheduled opener with Akron).  It's more of a recent trend, but I think NU does not like the mid afternoon time slot due to heat factors on Labor Day weekend.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

After last season's opener getting cancelled, I'm all in on an 11am start time. 

Just now, Moiraine said:

and maybe this is just my imagination but it seems like that kind of weather happens more often at night. 

I think you are correct.  I'm not a meteorologist, but I think most severe weather happens at night due to the mixing of the warm and cool air which can create instability in the atmosphere.

Here is an article from Colorado State University.

https://source.colostate.edu/why-do-thunderstorms-strike-at-night/

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Well the last 5 or 6 years it's been at night...maybe I just hit this when it began. The night games are helpful so I don't have to get my son out of school, but with 11 AM and an 8 hour drive, he's going to miss some classes as Huskers come first!

• Plus1 1