JD Spielman Concussion

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Most concussions aren't lingering issues, but teams definitely err on the side of caution now.  

Definitely, because the worst concussions are typically the second one when a player isn't completely healed from the first. Better safe than sorry.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

you would think with all the science and tech someone would build a much better helmet?  i am sure one is in the works somewhere......head trama is all too common.

If they can develop a helmet that defies physics, that’d be pretty amazing.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

you would think with all the science and tech someone would build a much better helmet?  i am sure one is in the works somewhere......head trama is all too common.

The problem is there is no way to prevent the brain from being jostled in the skull itself. That's where the brain injury comes into play. Yes it would be nice if science and engineering were advanced enough to handle this problem, but I don't know if we'll ever be there.

1 minute ago, broganreynik said:

Beat me to it.

3 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

The problem is there is no way to prevent the brain from being jostled in the skull itself. That's where the brain injury comes into play. Yes it would be nice if science and engineering were advanced enough to handle this problem, but I don't know if we'll ever be there.

7 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

I'm thinking something with its own artificial gravity and maybe inertial dampers.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Yeah, I'm not going to say they can't make a better helmet but they only provide so much protection and absorption of force. The problem is the brain crashing into the skull on the inside. No helmet is going to stop that. Eliminating all head contact (already underway) and tackling (head to ground contact) would help a bunch but then it won't really be football anymore, will it?

Most teams have helmets that have sensors in them right?  That's what the little button looking thing at the top of the helmets is for?  Obviously this doesn't prevent concussions, just lets a team trainer know if there's a possibility of one.  And I could be completely wrong about this.  

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

How many here have had a concussion?  I've had five that I know of.  No long term lingering effects, I'm 40, but they messed me up pretty good at the time.  

I’ve had three diagnosed ones, a couple others that were definitely concussions.

It’s hard to say if the concussions had as much to do with it or the blunt trauma from the collision of my last diagnosed one (4.5 years ago); but I’ve definitely had a dip in brain function. Basic math is often difficult, I have a far more limited vocabulary, my eyes lose focus semi-regularly, perpetual headaches, and my memory is significantly worse.

So, I’m hella concerned about head safety. My son says he wants to be a Husker. I tell him to be a pitcher, or if he has to be a football player, it’s kicker only.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1