JD Spielman Concussion

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

How many here have had a concussion?  I've had five that I know of.  No long term lingering effects, I'm 40, but they messed me up pretty good at the time.  

I had one major concussion when I was in 5th or 6th grade.  Sledding down the hill at Lincoln SE - came to I was in the hospital. Out for like 45 to 60 minutes.

No ill effects and that was 50 years ago

8 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Not needed for Aussie football.  Helmet to helmet ??

Combination of America football, ice hockey, rugby and basketball dribble AT THE SAME TIME !!!  No plays and practical non-stop action with very few time outs (soccer?).  Scoring was similar to drop-kick inside goal post.

Used to be ESPN AFL coverage but dropped decades ago ....... probably liberal protests on TV ..... my guess.

754237-21064790-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

aaBrettKirk_LD.jpg

Also women's Australia football league.

190320111528-tayla-harris-exlarge-169.jp

The eye roll is great on this...

3 hours ago, huKSer said:

I had one major concussion when I was in 5th or 6th grade.  Sledding down the hill at Lincoln SE - came to I was in the hospital. Out for like 45 to 60 minutes.

No ill effects and that was 50 years ago

Mine was from tripping over a cat who decided to lay on the steps (of all places), I tumbled down the steps, and my head bounced twice off the door jam at the bottom of the steps.  Husband slept through the whole ordeal or I would have been rushed to the hospital.  No idea how long I was out.  

22 hours ago, Calvin said:

How many here have had a concussion?  I've had five that I know of.  No long term lingering effects, I'm 40, but they messed me up pretty good at the time.  

Played 2 yrs in middle school, 4 yrs of HS, 4 yrs of college and my first concussion came 2 years after i graduated playing in a flag football league.  Knee to the side of my head.  That was 15yrs or so ago.  I dont think my memory is what it used to be but I wont blame it on the concussion 

On 5/31/2019 at 11:24 PM, knapplc said:

Do you have any info on the camera person who was hit during this year's Spring Game? She took a hell of a shot in about the third quarter. Trainers worked with her for a while, then she sat on the West bench for the rest of the game.

Not as bad as your hit, but still really solid. She hit her head on the turf pretty good.

Former HuskerVision AD Shot Kleen told me after the game that she was fine. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/31/2019 at 4:14 PM, Calvin said:

I've had two. Lingering light sensitivity - concerts are awful. Can't look at the lights, especially not if they flash. 

On 5/31/2019 at 4:42 PM, broganreynik said:

I’ve had three diagnosed ones, a couple others that were definitely concussions.

It’s hard to say if the concussions had as much to do with it or the blunt trauma from the collision of my last diagnosed one (4.5 years ago); but I’ve definitely had a dip in brain function. Basic math is often difficult, I have a far more limited vocabulary, my eyes lose focus semi-regularly, perpetual headaches, and my memory is significantly worse.

So, I’m hella concerned about head safety. My son says he wants to be a Husker. I tell him to be a pitcher, or if he has to be a football player, it’s kicker only.

Long snapper?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 6/1/2019 at 11:21 AM, huKSer said:

I watched a lot of Aussie Rules football in the 80s because that was on on ESPN at that time.

OOOhhhh the player from Sydney takes off the head of a Melbourne defender.  And the ref says "play on" no foul

FS2 has one weekly game live overnight on the weekends.  Other games are on Fox Soccer Plus which costs extra and not every cable system has.

I've always enjoyed watching those games, wish they'd be more accessible.