JD Spielman Concussion

On 6/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Moiraine said:

What the hell does not covering the AFL have to do with liberals protesting?

Violence on TV.  R rated AFL at the time. Lots of nasty words without mute on TV coverage (live).

I remember long time ago, KSOO-TV in Sioux Falls eventually banned on fake pro wrestling show (or silently dropped). A couple of protest signs in front of TV station doors.  Probably protect protest kids.

Keep in mind, 80's era ......

Kirk's final line in the episode, "Let's get the hell out of here" caused problems for the crew as the network did not want the word "hell" to appear in television episodes. Both Shatner and Roddenberry fought for the line to remain, with Roddenberry claiming to NBC that no other word would be suitable to be used instead. The studio executives reluctantly agreed that it could be left in. While many sources claim "The City on the Edge of Forever" was the first instance of the word "hell" being used as profanity on television

soccer-vs-afl_o_3032619.jpg   Very true.

• Plus1 1

On 5/31/2019 at 3:14 PM, Calvin said:

How many here have had a concussion?  I've had five that I know of.  No long term lingering effects, I'm 40, but they messed me up pretty good at the time.  

I’ve had 1 “official” diagnosed concussion and probably 2 others. The really good one was in a HS football game against Lincoln East on a kickoff. I was a short back returner, as I was waiting for the deep return guy to catch a really high hanging kick, about the time I turned around to block for him their gunner speared me like a missile in the side of the head. I wandered off into the end zone looking up at the sky :lol:. The coach must’ve replayed that part about 5 times the following week when we were reviewing game film. Anyway, I played Linebacker and went out on the next defensive series. I was supposed to take the signals from the sideline and tell everybody in the huddle what our D was going to be. I had no clue what the signals meant after getting hit. They took me out after 2 or 3 plays. This was in 81 before any official protocols. People kept asking me if I knew my name, address etc. I knew all that stuff but I couldn’t remember jack squat about anything to do with football. It only seemed to affect me for a few days.

Just now, JJ Husker said:

I’ve had 1 “official” diagnosed concussion and probably 2 others. The really good one was in a HS football game against Lincoln East on a kickoff. I was a short back returner, as I was waiting for the deep return guy to catch a really high hanging kick, about the time I turned around to block for him their gunner speared me like a missile in the side of the head. I wandered off into the end zone looking up at the sky :lol:. The coach must’ve replayed that part about 5 times the following week when we were reviewing game film. Anyway, I played Linebacker and went out on the next defensive series. I was supposed to take the signals from the sideline and tell everybody in the huddle what our D was going to be. I had no clue what the signals meant after getting hit. They took me out after 2 or 3 plays. This was in 81 before any official protocols. People kept asking me if I knew my name, address etc. I knew all that stuff but I couldn’t remember jack squat about anything to do with football. It only seemed to affect me for a few days.

I see from your posting history that this effect is still lingering pretty heavily...

:P  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
34 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Violence on TV.  R rated AFL at the time. Lots of nasty words without mute on TV coverage (live).

I remember long time ago, KSOO-TV in Sioux Falls eventually banned on fake pro wrestling show (or silently dropped). A couple of protest signs in front of TV station doors.  Probably protect protest kids.

You do realize this is a thread about JD Spielman’s concussion and possibly also about concussions in general or JD’s general health or other injuries and not about liberals protesting or violence on TV or bad language on TV or really anything else you’ve offered?

Sorry, just checking.

• Plus1 2

52 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

soccer-vs-afl_o_3032619.jpg   Very true.

ESPN showed Aussie Rules Football and other random/minor sports in their early days because they didn't own any rights to any of the major U.S. sports.  They needed to fill air time, so that's why they showed ARF.  ESPN didn't drop ARF due to liberals protesting the violence/blood of the sport, they dropped it because they were able to acquire TV rights to NFL, MLB, NBA, and college sports which helped fill their daily schedule.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You do realize this is a thread about JD Spielman’s concussion and possibly also about concussions in general or JD’s general health or other injuries and not about liberals protesting or violence on TV or bad language on TV or really anything else you’ve offered?

Sorry, just checking.

I know it. I confess many posts was untracked threads.  Anyhoo, JD concussion was ancient news.

2 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

I know it. I confess many posts was untracked threads.  Anyhoo, JD concussion was ancient news.

Okay, good enough.:thumbs

Our definitions of "ancient news" may differ though. This just came out about 6 days ago, even though the actual concussion apparently happened sometime during spring ball. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

ESPN showed Aussie Rules Football and other random/minor sports in their early days because they didn't own any rights to any of the major U.S. sports.  They needed to fill air time, so that's why they showed ARF.  ESPN didn't drop ARF due to liberals protesting the violence/blood of the sport, they dropped it because they were able to acquire TV rights to NFL, MLB, NBA, and college sports.

Make sense.  Thanks.  Kinda like boxing ..... equal to AFL.

22 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

ESPN showed Aussie Rules Football and other random/minor sports in their early days because they didn't own any rights to any of the major U.S. sports.  They needed to fill air time, so that's why they showed ARF.  ESPN didn't drop ARF due to liberals protesting the violence/blood of the sport, they dropped it because they were able to acquire TV rights to NFL, MLB, NBA, and college sports which helped fill their daily schedule.

I was just going to say something similar. It is too bad they stopped showing ARF.  It was a lot of fun to watch.  ESPN's other thing they showed was Big East basketball in the early 80's.  They used to have a Tuesday game of the week.  

I played football from 4th grade through my freshman year of college.  Never had a concussion.  Got my bell rung a couple of times, but for nothing more than a few seconds. I can honestly say I don't think I have ever had one.  Some people are just prone to concussions.  

• Haha 1