JD Spielman Concussion

7 hours ago, Calvin said:

Most concussions aren't lingering issues, but teams definitely err on the side of caution now.  

You're kidding right?

Most issues with concussions dont really show their issues until 20 years down the line.  Often times they can be small and not really be noticeable to you or others.  My last one was at 14, since about 35 I've been a sever migraine sufferer.  I have memory issues, and focus issues.   Creates a lot of frustration for me especially when I forget something that I have no idea how i could have forgotten it within a matter of minutes. It affects my job, and it scares me to know what life is going to be like 20 years from now.

There is plenty of information out there that show cause an effect of concussions.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

you would think with all the science and tech someone would build a much better helmet?  i am sure one is in the works somewhere......head trama is all too common.

They already invented it...they just stopped using it.

"Rub some dirt on it"

It fixed everything!

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Most teams have helmets that have sensors in them right?  That's what the little button looking thing at the top of the helmets is for?  Obviously this doesn't prevent concussions, just lets a team trainer know if there's a possibility of one.  And I could be completely wrong about this.  

Yep...we use them now.  The trainer always gets so annoyed with them!

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, huskerinacaveman said:

You're kidding right?

Most issues with concussions dont really show their issues until 20 years down the line.  Often times they can be small and not really be noticeable to you or others.  My last one was at 14, since about 35 I've been a sever migraine sufferer.  I have memory issues, and focus issues.   Creates a lot of frustration for me especially when I forget something that I have no idea how i could have forgotten it within a matter of minutes. It affects my job, and it scares me to know what life is going to be like 20 years from now.

There is plenty of information out there that show cause an effect of concussions.

No, you're right.  I guess I was more referring to individual cases, short term (i.e. a college career), not how this is going to effect JD when he's 50.  I have some of the aforementioned issues as well, but I don't consider them to be severe, just annoying, and don't know if they directly related to my concussions or not.  I don't have migraines anymore, but had really bad ones in the months following my concussions.  Sorry to hear about yours, and brogan's, issues.  A lot of us were really reckless as young men and it's starting to catch up to us.  Don't know if I'd do anything different though.  

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yep...we use them now.  The trainer always gets so annoyed with them!

Ok, good.  That's what I thought they were, not just some fancy accessory. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

No, you're right.  I guess I was more referring to individual cases, short term (i.e. a college career), not how this is going to effect JD when he's 50.  I have some of the aforementioned issues as well, but I don't consider them to be severe, just annoying, and don't know if they directly related to my concussions or not.  I don't have migraines anymore, but had really bad ones in the months following my concussions.  Sorry to hear about yours, and brogan's, issues.  A lot of us were really reckless as young men and it's starting to catch up to us.  Don't know if I'd do anything different though.  

Ok, good.  That's what I thought they were, not just some fancy accessory. :lol:

Basically if you drop your helmet on the backside of it...the trainer will get a "buzz"

Just now, Calvin said:

Ha!  And I bet the players don't abuse this at all.  

Ha!  One of the annoying things is the morons that grab the wrong helmet, get hit, buzzer goes off and now the trainer is looking for the kid who is SUPPOSED to be in that helmet instead of the guy actually wearing it.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Ha!  One of the annoying things is the morons that grab the wrong helmet, get hit, buzzer goes off and now the trainer is looking for the kid who is SUPPOSED to be in that helmet instead of the guy actually wearing it.

Man, that could make for a long day.  :lol:

2 hours ago, broganreynik said:

I’ve had three diagnosed ones, a couple others that were definitely concussions.

It’s hard to say if the concussions had as much to do with it or the blunt trauma from the collision of my last diagnosed one (4.5 years ago); but I’ve definitely had a dip in brain function. Basic math is often difficult, I have a far more limited vocabulary, my eyes lose focus semi-regularly, and my memory is significantly worse.

Was that from the crash on the sidelines?  I was just up in the stands from where that happened.. That was as hard as most any hit I've seen on the field.

1 hour ago, broganreynik said:

Yep. Kenny Bell’s helmet to the side of my head.

Do you have any info on the camera person who was hit during this year's Spring Game? She took a hell of a shot in about the third quarter. Trainers worked with her for a while, then she sat on the West bench for the rest of the game.

Not as bad as your hit, but still really solid. She hit her head on the turf pretty good.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:59 PM, Hunter94 said:

you would think with all the science and tech someone would build a much better helmet?  i am sure one is in the works somewhere......head trama is all too common.

Not needed for Aussie football.  Helmet to helmet ??

Combination of lite America football, ice hockey, rugby and basketball dribble AT THE SAME TIME !!!  No plays (huddle) and practically non-stop action with very few time outs (soccer?).  Scoring was similar to drop-kick inside 4 goal posts.  No goalie.

Used to be ESPN AFL coverage but dropped decades ago ....... probably liberal protests on TV ..... my guess.

754237-21064790-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

aaBrettKirk_LD.jpg

Also women's Australia football league.

190320111528-tayla-harris-exlarge-169.jp

FG attempt ........ and built-in chest pad :D

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Do you have any info on the camera person who was hit during this year's Spring Game? She took a hell of a shot in about the third quarter. Trainers worked with her for a while, then she sat on the West bench for the rest of the game.

Not as bad as your hit, but still really solid. She hit her head on the turf pretty good.

I don’t, but I could probably find more pretty easily. I’ll reach out to some old coworkers.

• Thanks 1