Chicken Massaman Curry

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I love this, and have exclusively bought tomato past in a tube since finding it. You rarely use more than a couple of tablespoons, so you end up pitching most of the canned stuff.

I've been freezing things like fresh herbs and sauces if I only use a little of them at a time, but after a while you have a million little bags of stuff in your freezer and that's a drag.

I'll sometimes use leftover fresh herbs to infuse oil - just put herbs into oil in a bottle. Or I'll saute the herbs at low temp in melted butter, strain, and then freeze the butter in icecube trays, so I can just use a cube at a time. You can also just make ghee with the melted butter if you prefer.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'll sometimes use leftover fresh herbs to infuse oil - just put herbs into oil in a bottle. Or I'll saute the herbs at low temp in melted butter, strain, and then freeze the butter in icecube trays, so I can just use a cube at a time. You can also just make ghee with the melted butter if you prefer.

If I have a bunch of leftover fresh herbs, I usually put them in a bag with some olive oil and freeze them, then use them as needed. The frozen leftovers aren't as good as fresh herbs, but they're still pretty good.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Where in the heck are you guys finding tubed tomato paste? I need that because sweet Lord I waste SO much of it. If it comes from TJ's or Whole Foods, I'm assuming there are organic options?

Most any supermarket these days. Hy-Vee and Super Saver carry it in our local area.

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

@huKSer

There are a million recipes for curry, but I use a couple (besides the one above) for generic curry.

This one's from an Indian friend, and you should probably have all of the spices (with the exception of garam masala, which can be omitted) in your spice cabinet:

Curry

1 Tbsp whole cumin seeds
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp Thai chili powder (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Pinch of garam masala
2 large garlic cloves
Equal amounts ginger to garlic
½ cup diced onions
1 ½ lbs beef, pork, goat or chicken, cut into small dice
2 small tomatoes, chopped
2 cups water
1-2 cups coconut milk

Add oil to a hot pan.  In another pan, toast the cumin seeds dry.  Once oil smokes, brown meat on all sides, then remove and turn heat to low.  After toasting, transfer cumin seeds to pan with meat juices,  then add onion and cook on low until softened.  Add garlic & ginger.  Once everything in the pan is softened, return the meat to the pan, salt to taste, and add turmeric, chili powder, cumin powder and coriander.  Let cook, covered, for about 30 minutes.  

Once the meat starts to release the oils, add tomatoes and cook until softened, then add the water and cook for another hour.  When meat is soft and tomatoes are well incorporated into the sauce, add coconut milk and a pinch of garam masala.  Serve with rice.  

This one is from some recipe I found online for crockpot curry (which tasted good but didn't turn out so well).

Curry Powder

2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

In a blender or food processor, combine cumin, coriander, turmeric, red pepper flakes, mustard seed, and ginger. Process to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container.

Thanks.  I like curry dishes in restaurants but have never made one at home.  I'll have to try it.

38 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This looks solid. Thanks for sharing, @knapplc

Where in the heck are you guys finding tubed tomato paste? I need that because sweet Lord I waste SO much of it. If it comes from TJ's or Whole Foods, I'm assuming there are organic options?

As knapplc said, most grocery stores carry the tomato paste in a tube. You can also find it online. It's usually in a longer thin box really similar to toothpaste packaging. Something like this:

22696_XXX_v1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If I have a bunch of leftover fresh herbs, I usually put them in a bag with some olive oil and freeze them, then use them as needed. The frozen leftovers aren't as good as fresh herbs, but they're still pretty good.

I recommend just leaving the herbs in the oil at room temp - the oil will take on the flavor of the herb and it lasts a really long time at room temp. If you really want to freeze them, then I recommend the melted butter - I think it freezes better than the oil. You can of course just dry the herbs and use them that way - it's better than the dried herbs from the store IMO. I don't know of any way for fresh herbs to be stored and still be as good as when fresh. Although you could grow your own herbs inside in containers so you'd always have some fresh.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

As knapplc said, most grocery stores carry the tomato paste in a tube. You can also find it online. It's usually in a longer thin box really similar to toothpaste packaging. Something like this:

22696_XXX_v1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

I should put a tube of that in our bathroom cabinet to see if my wife is paying attention.

• Haha 3