Fighting Erstad's at the Oklahoma City Regional - vs. Oklahoma State

Just now, hskrfan4life said:

There's a reason this team is the 9 seed... Man all these negative comments guys. C'mon.

I know they're good. Especially good hitters. But they were up 5-0 and up 5-2 going into the 9th.

They've completely blown it.

Just now, jsneb83 said:

Honestly, how Shanaman came in and got that last out in the 8th, I would have let him go back out there to try and wrap the game up.

Yeah, because he could throw something besides a fastball

1 minute ago, ohiocornhusker said:

Why didnt we leave Waldren in...I thought he was doing well....

He was starting to struggle

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I know they're good. Especially good hitters. But they were up 5-0 and up 5-2 going into the 9th.

And what do good teams do? The find the way to win games. First time Nebraska got an opening day won since 2014. We talk about the football team needing to learn how to win but the baseball team needs to as well. Can't have it both ways guys. 

2 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

Honestly, how Shanaman came in and got that last out in the 8th, I would have let him go back out there to try and wrap the game up. 

Honestly, I thought about this too. But Gomes is the closer for a reason. He's got the best ERA of anyone in the bullpen. You can't fault going with him in the 9th.

And it doesn't really matter if he's a fastball reliant pitcher or not. That was the first homer he's given up all year.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Failing to see how going to your closer in the 9th inning is getting greedy.

I’m talking about taking your starter Waldren into the 7th with a 100+ pitch count that cost us two runs before relief came in. That was Erstad being greedy and trying to ride his starter longer than he should have. 

Plus the choice in relief is suspect too—wasn’t the closer Gomes a fastball thrower? Okie Lite has feasted on them all year. 

There’s no apologizing for Erstad on this one—we squandered a 5-0 lead with poor pitching management. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, hskrfan4life said:

And what do good teams do? The find the way to win games. First time Nebraska got an opening day won since 2014. We talk about the football team needing to learn how to win but the baseball team needs to as well. Can't have it both ways guys. 

No.

They should have won. Period. Up 5-2 with 2 outs. Losing shouldn't happen, and it takes incredible man mismanagement to happen. 

• Plus1 2