Fighting Erstad's at the Oklahoma City Regional - vs. Oklahoma State

To go from one out away from being in the driver's seat, to having to win 3 games straight. A huge gut punch and mentally going to be hurt to overcome. The battle tonight will all be mental.

Put this behind and focus on knocking out the Huskies.

• Plus1 1

Just now, cheekygeek said:

Facepalm. Not at how the game ended. At the pathetic comments here once the scoreboard flipped. Proud of this Huskers team. You “fans”? Not so much.

That’s all the baseball threads turn into. “fans” just coming to the game threads of losses and bitching about everything.

The loss is very frustrating, but it’s not a choke, it’s not Erstad’s fault, it just happens sometimes when you face very good opponents.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Yeah, because he could throw something besides a fastball

Once they said that he had thrown 17 pitches and they were all fastballs, I understood why he was getting rocked and thought, yup we're screwed

• Plus1 1
Just now, VectorVictor said:

I’m talking about taking your starter Waldren into the 7th with a 100+ pitch count that cost us two runs before relief came in. That was Erstad being greedy and trying to ride his starter longer than he should have. 

Plus the choice in relief is suspect too—wasn’t the closer Gomes a fastball thrower? Okie Lite has feasted on them all year. 

There’s no apologizing for Erstad on this one—we squandered a 5-0 lead with poor pitching management. 

And if he takes Waldren out and the reliever get shelled he gets roasted for that.

And if he doesn't go to his closer and gets burned he gets roasted for that.

Waldren has been our best pitcher all year.  He was pitching great.  He got lifted after giving up one run.

Monday Morning Quarterbacking is fun.

• Plus1 4

A closer who just throws fastballs doesn't work against a good hitting team.  Not just this game, but baseball in general when coaches pull a middle reliever who just got you out of a jam and has plenty of pitches left, only to go to the closer who blows an masterful pitching performance by the starter.  Frustrates the hell out of me.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s all the baseball threads turn into. “fans” just coming to the game threads of losses and bitching about everything. 

The loss is very frustrating, but it’s not a choke, it’s not Erstad’s fault, it just happens sometimes when you face very good opponents. 

This is correct.

It's like some people have never watched baseball before.

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I’m talking about taking your starter Waldren into the 7th with a 100+ pitch count that cost us two runs before relief came in. That was Erstad being greedy and trying to ride his starter longer than he should have. 

Plus the choice in relief is suspect too—wasn’t the closer Gomes a fastball thrower? Okie Lite has feasted on them all year. 

There’s no apologizing for Erstad on this one—we squandered a 5-0 lead with poor pitching management. 

Waldron had only given up one run before the 8th and everyone would have kept him in for the 8th to try to get to Gomes.  

5 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

No.

They should have won. Period. Up 5-2 with 2 outs. Losing shouldn't happen, and it takes incredible man mismanagement to happen. 

Go one step back—that one run on Waldren shouldn’t have happened, but they did because Erstad mismanaged things there. That was when things went downhill. 

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And if he takes Waldren out and the reliever get shelled he gets roasted for that.

And if he doesn't go to his closer and gets burned he gets roasted for that.

Waldren has been our best pitcher all year.  He was pitching great.  He got lifted after giving up one run.

Monday Morning Quarterbacking is fun.

So is being an apologist for a coach that mismanaged their pitching, it appears. 

You can make excuses for Erstad all you want, but he ultimately mismanaged a 5-0 lead into a 6-5 loss. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, It'sNotAFakeID said:

No.

They should have won. Period. Up 5-2 with 2 outs. Losing shouldn't happen, and it takes incredible man mismanagement to happen. 

This.  There’s no excuse for losing this game.  Call it negativity if you want, I call it being a realist.  I’m still going to root for the team and hope they keep doing well but this loss sucks and is mostly on the coaching staff.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Go one step back—those two runs on Waldren shouldn’t have happened, but they did because Erstad mismanaged things there. 

I get that some folks want to be apologists for Erstad (like Mavric

So is being an apologist for a coach that mismanaged their pitching, it appears. 

You can make excuses for Erstad all you want, but he ultimately mismanaged a 5-0 lead into a 6-5 loss. 

If I'm allowed an opinion that's not MMQBing, I'm more okay with keeping Waldren in. He was pitching well and getting out of jams when he got in them. I think they would have been better off not putting Gomes in at all. Dude can only throw a fastball and that's something I don't think you want against one of the better power hitting teams.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

This.  There’s no excuse for losing this game.  Call it negativity if you want, I call it being a realist.  I’m still going to root for the team and hope they keep doing well but this loss sucks and is mostly on the coaching staff.  

I still fail to see how giving up 4 runs by the closer (who had been very good all season) and losing on the first homer given up is the fault of the coaching staff. Are Erstad and Silva pitching in that last inning?

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I still fail to see how giving up 4 runs by the closer (who had been very good all season) and losing on the first homer given up is the fault of the coaching staff. Are Erstad and Silva pitching in that last inning?

No, but they chose to put a fastball pitcher up against the heart of one of the best power hitting lineups in the country. I don't care if Gomes is the closer, that was dumb. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Just now, Cdog923 said:

No, but they chose to put a fastball pitcher up against the heart of one of the best power hitting lineups in the country. I don't care if Gomes is the closer, that was dumb. 

Yep

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1