Fighting Erstad's at the Oklahoma City Regional - vs. Oklahoma State

Just now, hskrfan4life said:

Did anyone see the graphic they showed multiple times tonight? Saying Oklahoma State has won 49% of there games after trailing? This is going to hurt for Waldron, he had a hell of a game, but we knew OSU had those power bats. Going to need someone to go deep tomorrow.

We knew OSU had those power bats and yet we still turned to a fastball-only pitcher. But that's baseball!

I understand it's hard to break from roles (this is our closer he needs to close), but he was such a mismatch for them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Waldron had only given up one run before the 8th and everyone would have kept him in for the 8th to try to get to Gomes.  

Not when he’s got a 100+ pitch count going into the inning you shouldn’t...or at the very least, he should have had a VERY short leash and relief already warming up. Not when you’re trying to win so can avoid the losers bracket and the toll it takes on your pitching trying to claw your way to a win.

And Gomes as a closer is also suspect when you’re facing one of the best offenses in the nation that has feasted on fastball hitters all year.

—————

Look, this loss stings for multiple reasons—it was to a dirty Big XII school, a school that’s only a tax deduction for T. Boones Farms Pickens and Garth Brooks, and lastly, it was a preventable loss. 

On the positive side side of things, we have a great group of kids shoring up this team going forward, so hopefully things will turn out better next season. 

And yes, I’m talking next season, because I don’t think this team can pull off three in a row, especially considering what kind of a loss tonight was. 

Just now, Cdog923 said:

No, but they chose to put a fastball pitcher up against the heart of one of the best power hitting lineups in the country. I don't care if Gomes is the closer, that was dumb. 

So if Erstad and Silva go with a different pitcher and still lose, is that dumb too?  Sometimes guys get beat by players who are better.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I still fail to see how giving up 4 runs by the closer (who had been very good all season) and losing on the first homer given up is the fault of the coaching staff. Are Erstad and Silva pitching in that last inning?

Good thing he didn't face OkSt all season!

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So if Erstad and Silva go with a different pitcher and still lose, is that dumb too?  Sometimes guys get beat by players who are better.

Had they put the team in the best position to win, no. But they didn't do that, in my opinion. That's what makes their decision making questionable. Sure, Oklahoma State is a better team than Nebraska, but for 8 and 2/3 innings, Nebraska was better, and deserved to win.  

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

We knew OSU had those power bats and yet we still turned to a fastball-only pitcher. But that's baseball! 

I understand it's hard to break from roles (this is our closer he needs to close), but he was such a mismatch for them. 

Who in the bullpen is a better match up for this team than Gomes? Because frankly I would have done the same thing as a coach.

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

Not worth it, puts go ahead runner on base instead of him being at the plate for a potential out.

Guess for me it'd be more about who was next up. They just needed 1 more out at that point. I know a HR is less likely but the dude is their best HR hitter, you just felt some nonsense was gonna happen.

5 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Not worth it, puts go ahead runner on base instead of him being at the plate for a potential out.

In hindsight they probably should have walked him, in hindsight they probably should have kept Shanaman in. Unfortunately it’s always easier to make that call in hindsight. 

• Fire 1

Overall, this is a 6 of one, half dozen of the other type deal.

We don't know what would have happened in the other situations because they didn't play out. Take the starter out early and the bullpen could've imploded. Keep him in and he could have imploded. Pitch Gomes and he could've sent them down 1-2-3. Pitch Schanaman and he could have given up the 4 runs.

All that is known is that Nebraska lost after being up 3 with 3 outs left. The odds of winning at that point are high and they failed. Why they failed is anyone's opinion. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2