Fighting Erstad's at the Oklahoma City Regional - vs. Oklahoma State

58 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The above two quotes are were I come down on things.  I rolled things around in my head wondering if Gomes should've thrown a few more first pitch curveballs but eventually I came down on the side of, "He's a freshman and if he's going to go down, I want him to go down with his best pitch."  I mean...Gomes throws mid 90s guys you still gotta square that heat up.  If he throws some curveballs and can't locate them who knows if he gets shook and all of a sudden can't throw strikes.  That being said, about the only thing I would've liked to see Gomes do is start Boone off with a curveball or a high fastball way out of the zone.  You knew he was sitting fastball and I felt they could've used Boone's aggressiveness against him. 

I feel terribly for Waldron he threw an absolute gem against a stacked lineup and totally dominated them.  Today is going to be a tricky day.  UConn has really found their offense and NU needs a big time effort out of Eddins.  If Eddins can duplicate his effort against Arizona State--6ip 3ER I would take that in a heartbeat and trust that NU's bats can do some damage against UConn.  I expect UConn will probably throw Dunlop tomorrow and he had a pretty nice effort against Wichita State last time out.  If NU is down late that'll be tough because UConn has their hammer closer Wallace available who hasn't thrown yet this regional.   

This is reasonable. Everything you said is reasonable, IMO. Somebody said Gomes missed his spot. I don't know if that's true, but that makes sense. Although he was throwing a lot of first pitch fastballs that were catching a lot of plate to get ahead in the count last night.

The bolded is what we'll never know. Maybe he didn't have his curveball last night or something. I agree out of the zone or offspeed should've been the plan.

But when you go out with your best relief pitcher throwing his best pitch, you've got to just tip your cap. Sh#t just didn't go our way last night. No two ways about it.

Let's go score some runs today!

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is reasonable. Everything you said is reasonable, IMO. Somebody said Gomes missed his spot. I don't know if that's true, but that makes sense. Although he was throwing a lot of first pitch fastballs that were catching a lot of plate to get ahead in the count last night.

The bolded is what we'll never know. Maybe he didn't have his curveball last night or something. I agree out of the zone or offspeed should've been the plan.

But when you go out with your best relief pitcher throwing his best pitch, you've got to just tip your cap. Sh#t just didn't go our way last night. No two ways about it.

Let's go score some runs today!

this makes it sound as if he was wild in the strike zone. and that is rarely a good thing. pitching is like real estate; location, location, location.

27 minutes ago, desertshox said:

this makes it sound as if he was wild in the strike zone. and that is rarely a good thing. pitching is like real estate; location, location, location. 

Absolutely. The polar opposite of Waldron last night, who was hitting every spot perfectly until he started to fatigue in the 8th.

Kid's a true freshman and he was put in an enormous pressure spot and just made one mistake (two I guess if you count the walk). Colby's still got enormous potential as a pitcher. He was hitting 96 last night. That's major league heat.

• Plus1 1

Not sure if this was mentioned but Gomes is he threw 17 pitches prior to facing the best HR hitter in the Big 12... All 17 pitches were fastballs. So Boone has watch 17 pitches and seen exactly what Gomes brings to the table. He was sitting on 1st pitch fastball and was trying to crank one out. Which is exactly what happened. 

My issue is pitch call. I don’t care if he throws a curve or change in the dirt, you can’t let an incredible hitter see the pitch he’s sitting on right out of the gate. It was like batting practice 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Swiv3D said:

After the first 2 batters got on you could see Gomes' body language showed he knew he wasn't feeling it last night. Just wasn't his night

He pitched the day before, plays 1B, has to run between the bullpen and the on-deck circle in the 8th, etc., fatigue may have been a factor. :dunno Not to mention pitching out of the stretch knocked 3-5 MPH off his heater.

29 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

He pitched the day before, plays 1B, has to run between the bullpen and the on-deck circle in the 8th, etc., fatigue may have been a factor. :dunno Not to mention pitching out of the stretch knocked 3-5 MPH off his heater.

Everyone's tired, Waldron pitched 120+. Losing the mental game is what costs you at this stage of the season, and he was visibly getting frustrated with himself. Also his speed wasn't the problem, it was where the pitches were being placed. Like I said, not every night is your night and I think he knew he just didn't have it dialed in after a couple batters

If, in 2059, we are sent to a Regional with UConn, we should just refuse to go. The drilled us 15-0 in 1979 to end our season, and this season-ending loss doesn't look like it'll be much better.

In two games this weekend against these guys we've given up 38 hits.