Fighting Erstad's at the Oklahoma City Regional - vs. UConn (Take Two)

40 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean they are fighters because quite honestly we're not at a point where we're the most talented team in the Big 10, let alone this regional. You have to fight and scrap to win when that's the case. That's Erstad's MO anyway.

They just got their heart ripped out last night and never recovered. Agree with your sentiments. Things are still headed in the right direction.

Perry is probably a weekend starter next year. Probably Palkert as well. Not sure who after that. Honestly if I'm Erstad I'm focused on continuing to stockpile bats so we don't see another day like today or against OSU when we can't hit anything. Position players are more valuable IMO because they play every day. Sounds like we've got at least another blue chip type prospects coming in if we can get them to campus - we'll see if they get drafted this week.

Yeah... We might want some more pitchers too.:facepalm:

15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

More or less predictable than Nebraska baseball in the postseason?

Last season we missed the postseason This season we played for a championship and won a regional game.

You do lose games sometimes in baseball, Landlord.

14 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Yeah... We might want some more pitchers too.:facepalm: 

Yeah kind of got away from us there at the end. What are you gonna do? :dunno

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Last season we missed the postseason This season we played for a championship and won a regional game.

Eh, it's baseball.

Regroup, get better. Develop the talent we've got.

(also, turn some of the relief guys into managers)

• Plus1 1

I'm not surprised with today's result. They were essentially eliminated last night. You don't recover from blowing a 5-0 lead or a 5-2 lead just needing 3 outs. The Red Sox didn't recover after losing Game 6 when they had a 5-3 lead just needing 3 outs. The Rangers didn't recover after losing Game 6 to the Cardinals after having a 7-5 lead needing 3 outs, then a 9-7 lead needing 3 outs. 

Mentally, it's so hard to recover from that sort of gut punch. Just unfortunate that the end of last night's game was mishandled and maybe mismanaged. 17 straight fastballs to one of the better power hitting teams in the country. 

Yes, Gomes's ERA was the lowest in the pen, he's our closer - all the traditional reasons why he should've closed out the game last night are fine. We weren't facing a traditional team last night. Oklahoma State was the best HR hitting team we've faced all season, by far. The next closest power hitting team we faced was Ohio State, who had hit 20 fewer HRs on the year and we were never in a save position in that game. The next closest HR hitting teams we've faced were Creighton and Michigan, both whom had hit 24 fewer HRs than Oklahoma State. 

But - it's baseball! So what're you gonna do? Things just happen. No need to try to learn from them!

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

And in 2017 they made the post season and lost 2 games. 

Maybe in 2021 they'll play for a championship and win 2 games in the regional.  :dunno

25 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

I'm not surprised with today's result. They were essentially eliminated last night. You don't recover from blowing a 5-0 lead or a 5-2 lead just needing 3 outs. The Red Sox didn't recover after losing Game 6 when they had a 5-3 lead just needing 3 outs. The Rangers didn't recover after losing Game 6 to the Cardinals after having a 7-5 lead needing 3 outs, then a 9-7 lead needing 3 outs. 

Mentally, it's so hard to recover from that sort of gut punch. Just unfortunate that the end of last night's game was mishandled and maybe mismanaged. 17 straight fastballs to one of the better power hitting teams in the country. 

Yes, Gomes's ERA was the lowest in the pen, he's our closer - all the traditional reasons why he should've closed out the game last night are fine. We weren't facing a traditional team last night. Oklahoma State was the best HR hitting team we've faced all season, by far. The next closest power hitting team we faced was Ohio State, who had hit 20 fewer HRs on the year and we were never in a save position in that game. The next closest HR hitting teams we've faced were Creighton and Michigan, both whom had hit 24 fewer HRs than Oklahoma State. 

But - it's baseball! So what're you gonna do? Things just happen. No need to try to learn from them!

Your logic has no place here, good sir. 

Listen - I'm willing to bet 99% of managers/coaches would have made the same decision Erstad made to pitch Gomes. That's his role so that's who's going to pitch - matchup possibly be damned. 

I think the real error wasn't in pitching Gomes, but in throwing nothing but fastballs. Who that's on? I dunno. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1