Erstad gone

19 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Hopefully Moos can pull of a hat trick

Honestly I like Erstad as a person and a player but he just wasn’t a very good coach. Career wise Erstad was no different than Miles

Thats an apt comparison...though I would suggest the competition isn’t as tough in the B1G and we actually won a game in the tourney.

Look—I’m someone that’s called for Erstad to either get a new position coach or step aside. Erstad is a class act, and I’m sure he knew he wasn’t getting it done. 

Now let’s see if Moos can get Boldt. 

• Fire 1
37 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Honestly I like Erstad as a person and a player but he just wasn’t a very good coach. Career wise Erstad was no different than Miles

If Miles was consistently at the top of the conference and won a conference title, you'd be correct.

• Plus1 8

I would imagine a new topic will get spun off this but this is as good of a place to start as any.  

I imagine early candidates will be Will Bolt, Justin Seely for obvious reasons.  A&M fans are really down on Bolt and seem to be fed up with Childress too.

I think Rick Heller is a damn fine coach but I'm not sure he'd leave Iowa for Nebraska for optics reasons.  Brink truck/dream hire would be Childress, he's making $350k at A&M.

Other interesting names...

Jim Penders UConn

Andrew Checketts--UC Santa Barbara Coach

Eric Newman--UC San Diego Coach

I also really like Steve Holm but he just took the Illinois State job last year so I imagine there is zero chance he leaves.

1 hour ago, Dewiz said:

I don't understand these Miles/Erstad comparisons in the least. They're lazy at best.

One of those won a conference title during his tenure and finished in the top half of the conference six out of eight seasons, including five top three finishes. The other did not.

• Plus1 7
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't understand these Miles/Erstad comparisons in the least. They're lazy at best.

One of those won a conference title during his tenure and finished in the top half of the conference six out of eight seasons, including five top three finishes. The other did not.

I think it’s a lazy comparison, as well. My only thought is those with that opinion think that Erstad and Miles are “good guys”, but not good coaches. Erstad performed better than Miles, but with a program with more history and less competition in conference. 

-- Worse winning percentage than Anderson

-- We missed the Big 10 tourney last year

-- Big 10 was supposed to be an "easy" conference filled with northern teams that didn't take baseball seriously

-- We missed the postseason (Regionals) 4 times... equal to number of times we made it

-- Never hosted a Regional.

-- 2-8 in Regional play

-- Never made it to Super Regional

-- No CWS

-- Most important... Was unlikely to ever change our circumstances

That about covers it for me

• Plus1 4