Erstad gone

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If Miles was consistently at the top of the conference and won a conference title, you'd be correct.

And if the Big Ten was the 2nd ranked conference in RPI in baseball like they were in basketball (as opposed to 7th), you'd be more correct. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

-- Worse winning percentage than Anderson

-- We missed the Big 10 tourney last year

-- Big 10 was supposed to be an "easy" conference filled with northern teams that didn't take baseball seriously

-- We missed the postseason (Regionals) 4 times... equal to number of times we made it

-- Never hosted a Regional.

-- 3-8 in Regional play

-- Never made it to Super Regional

-- No CWS

-- Most important... Was unlikely to ever change our circumstances

That about covers it for me

Please share your thoughts on the expectations of the baseball program in the thread I created. I’m interested in reading them. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I hope it isn't health-related. He's changed a TON in just the past couple of years.

rLsr2fz.jpg

4jNgJpY.jpg

I'm really glad Darin was our coach. I really hope he enjoys his retirement.

I doubt it, I understand what he means by wanting to be with his family. I went down to Lubbock 2 weekends ago to see my cousin graduate and it just so happens one of his classmates is the daughter of the Texas Tech head baseball coach. He had to miss her hs graduation to be in OKC for the B12 tournament 

• Plus1 2

I get the impression Darin thought this job would be a good way to come back to a town he loves and spend some time with his family.

I think the realization of all that goes into coaching, all the time it takes from you, was a pretty rude awakening a few years ago.

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

I would imagine a new topic will get spun off this but this is as good of a place to start as any.  

I imagine early candidates will be Will Bolt, Justin Seely for obvious reasons.  A&M fans are really down on Bolt and seem to be fed up with Childress too.

I think Rick Heller is a damn fine coach but I'm not sure he'd leave Iowa for Nebraska for optics reasons.  Brink truck/dream hire would be Childress, he's making $350k at A&M.

Other interesting names...

Jim Penders UConn

Andrew Checketts--UC Santa Barbara Coach

Eric Newman--UC San Diego Coach

I also really like Steve Holm but he just took the Illinois State job last year so I imagine there is zero chance he leaves.

Bolt is my lead candidate, but if they could pull Childress away from A&M...

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

If Miles was consistently at the top of the conference and won a conference title, you'd be correct.

Erstad won 1 Conference Championship due to both Minnesota and Michigan losing and Nebraska beating a very bad Penn State team. It’s not like Nebraska caked walked through the conference to win it they needed a lot of help to win the Conference. 

In 8 years at Nebraska resume in such a “tough” baseball conference 

1 Conference Championship

2-8 in Regionals

0-3 in B1G Tourney Championships

12-13 in B1G Tournament 

Missed the B1G Tourney in 18’ 

Never made it to a Super Regional 

Team batting average has went down every year after Bolt left I believe (2015-Present)

The ONLY reason people are upset about Erstad resigning is because he played Football and Baseball at Nebraska. Had he been some Joe Schmoe that had no connection with Nebraska, Husker baseball fans would be calling for him to be fired with his career resume at Nebraska

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Erstad won 1 Conference Championship due to both Minnesota and Michigan losing and Nebraska beating a very bad Penn State team. It’s not like Nebraska caked walked through the conference to win it they needed a lot of help to win the Conference. 

In 8 years at Nebraska resume in such a “tough” baseball conference 

1 Conference Championship

2-8 in Regionals

0-3 in B1G Tourney Championships

12-13 in B1G Tournament 

Missed the B1G Tourney in 18’ 

Never made it to a Super Regional 

Team batting average has went down every year after Bolt left I believe (2015-Present)

The ONLY reason people are upset about Erstad resigning is because he played Football and Baseball at Nebraska. Had he been some Joe Schmoe that had no connection with Nebraska, Husker baseball fans would be calling for him to be fired with his career resume at Nebraska

I never understood the complaint about Erstad’s conference championship of him “backing into the title on the last weekend”. The conference championship was won due to NU’s record over the entire conference season.  The games in the first weekend mean as much as they do in the last weekend.  This argument seems to be brought up by Erstad detractors all the time, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

BTW, I wasn’t an Erstad apologist or a detractor, I just look at his record, the program he inherited, and the in-state talent at the time to make my opinions. Erstad wasn’t great, but he wasn’t terrible either. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

I totally get the wanting to retire thing but sometimes these guys make it sound like no one else has to work full time and that they are the only ones that "don't get to see their kids grow up"

I would venture (who remembers that store?) to guess that DE had way more downtime and the resources to spend way more time with his family/kids than probably 90% of the working population.  

Also, how much time can you spend with your family?  Shoot, if I was DE I would keep my coaching job and get a part time gig to spend even less time at home...hahahaha

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I totally get the wanting to retire thing but sometimes these guys make it sound like no one else has to work full time and that they are the only ones that "don't get to see their kids grow up"

I would venture (who remembers that store?) to guess that DE had way more downtime and the resources to spend way more time with his family/kids than probably 90% of the working population.  

Also, how much time can you spend with your family?  Shoot, if I was DE I would keep my coaching job and get a part time gig to spend even less time at home...hahahaha

I’m sure Erstad wants to be able to do what most of his former MLB teammates are able to do. They have a great life after baseball. They can live off their MLB money. Now Erstad can be a guest instructor or speaker at Spring Training.  He can go to Angels-fest and talk about his World Series victory. I’m sure Erstad was still looking for that competition after retiring from playing, but that desire for competition is hard to keep when he doesn’t “need to do it”. 

• Fire 3