Baseball Coach Search

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Do we want to keep Silva?

Dunno. Some people do. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure they're really looking to get those dollars back.  As in, I'm not sure that's really a consideration.

But the most recent numbers I could find on a quick search (2015 via LJS) show baseball lost $752k ($2.3M in expenses against $1.5M in revenues).  

If you're an AD that has information showing that baseball turned a profit when it was consistently good, it would be wise to staff it and put some money into the program so it can eventually get back to (at least) being revenue neutral or (eventually) turning a profit once again. 

I mean, who the heck has a problem with one more sport that can actually pay for itself? And if you have history showing you can get a sport to turn a profit when most don't (see: Women's Volleyball), then isn't sinking money into that sport to get it solvent again a wise investment?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I played the bejesus out of that game on PS2.  I'm pretty sure I can remember all the custom parks...

Rosenblatt

Haymarket

FSU's field

GT's field

Arkansas

Cal State Fullerton

Stanford

Tennessee

Rice

Texas

USC

Clemson

Arizona

Notre Dame

St. Johns (lol why)

LSU

Miami

ASU

Pretty sure both Mississippi schools

That was a hell of a game. I wish I still had my copy somewhere...maybe I'll have to go look for a ROM of it or go try and find an original XBox and the game on CL.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Dunno. Some people do. 

If you're an AD that has information showing that baseball turned a profit when it was consistently good, it would be wise to staff it and put some money into the program so it can eventually get back to (at least) being revenue neutral or (eventually) turning a profit once again. 

I mean, who the heck has a problem with one more sport that can actually pay for itself? And if you have history showing you can get a sport to turn a profit when most don't (see: Women's Volleyball), then isn't sinking money into that sport to get it solvent again a wise investment?

I don't know if the economics are the same as the past, where an extra $500K in head coaching salary would lead to NU making more of a profit.  Yes, more winning would boost attendance and donations in order to boost revenue.  However, I think the expenses are much more than what they were in the Big 12.  NU probably has to fly to a lot more conference road series, and in order to boost the non-conference schedule (to make up for a relatively weaker conference), that means NU has to spend more on traveling to non-conference series and early-season tournaments.  I heard on a podcast that NU had to use a number of different flights to get the players and staff to Corvallis earlier this year.  I would also think that recruiting costs more for NU now, as they have to go further out of the area to recruit players.  Add in higher costs for assistant coaches and other items, it may not be possible for NU to turn a profit in baseball, no matter how great the team is.    

• Plus1 1

Big Ten has historically lagged behind the other conferences in what they pay their Baseball Coaching Staffs. But we've been getting a bargain for years with Erstad and have the resources. I say we steal Iowa's Rick Heller and pay him what he would get from one of the other conferences.

zMS1TyT.jpg

The success he has had at Iowa (taking over a less-than-stellar situation): https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-baseball/2017/12/2422/iowa-extends-rick-hellers-contract-through-2024

https://hawkeyesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1765

What he did at Indiana State: https://gosycamores.com/coaches.aspx?rc=386&path=baseball

26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU probably has to fly to a lot more conference road series, and in order to boost the non-conference schedule (to make up for a relatively weaker conference), that means NU has to spend more on traveling to non-conference series and early-season tournaments. 

Not sure about the out of conference stuff, but in conference I would guess (I'm speaking out of my a$$ here) that the increase is minor.

In the Big XII, KU, KSU, CU, MU were all within 8 hour drive. That's four schools, and I imagine any of the others would have been flights.

In the B1G, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern are all within 8 hours and Illinois is within 9. The further schools are further, but when you get into flight distance I don't think an extra hundred or two miles means much.

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Not sure about the out of conference stuff, but in conference I would guess (I'm speaking out of my a$$ here) that the increase is minor.

In the Big XII, KU, KSU, CU, MU were all within 8 hour drive. That's four schools, and I imagine any of the others would have been flights.

In the B1G, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Northwestern are all within 8 hours and Illinois is within 9. The further schools are further, but when you get into flight distance I don't think an extra hundred or two miles means much.

My bet is that NU baseball would bus to KU, KSU, ISU (before it dropped baseball), Mizzou, OU, and Okie State, with the only flights to the Texas schools.  I would think NU baseball is flying from Omaha to Indiana, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue and possibly even Minnesota and Northwestern (due to proximity of major airports and numerous commercial flights).  That leaves only Iowa and Illinois as bus trips for the baseball team.  To me that would represent a sizeable difference in travel expenses.

51 minutes ago, Landlord said:

As per usual, take in enough generalities and everything sounds the same.

Three of those Big XII schools are not just "within 8 hours".  Manhattan is a 2.5 hour drive.  Lawrence is a 3.5 hour drive.  Columbia is a 5.5 hour drive.  That is significantly different than 7.5 hours to Madison, 6.5 to Minneapolis and 8 hours to Evanston.  Not to mention the part that you left out where Norman (7 hours) and Stillwater (6 hours) are also closer drives than any of the B1G schools except Iowa and (barely) Minnesota.

I really doubt they are taking many 8 hour bus trips now.  First of all, that would really suck.  Second, I'd have to find the exact time again but they were running into trouble early in the season trying to re-schedule games because they only have so many class days they are allowed to miss and if they left before mid-afternoon it counted as a full day.  I doubt leaving at 3:00 and getting in around midnight is something they want to put the athletes through regularly.  Plus then they wouldn't be getting back into Lincoln until midnight on Sunday.

I couldn't find anything for the baseball team specifically.  But the volleyball team flew to Wisconsin and Illinois this year.  The football team obviously flies most places.  I don't know where the line is as far as who flies how far but I'm guessing 8 hours is past the line.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

The Big Ten wasn't caring about baseball before us, now I feel like some of the schools definitely are now.

They have so much money, they have to spend it somewhere.  Unless you are Indiana...then you make sure you don't spend one dime on the football program. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Might as well head back to Orlando and snatch up Greg Lovelady.

Not a crazy thought...he did a really nice job at Wright State has been a little above average since taking over UCF.  He looks like a born and bred Florida guy so not sure how he'd translate to NU.  I just think the A&M/NU connection makes too much sense that I would be really surprised to see NU go elsewhere unless a surprise candidate emerges. 

4 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Not a crazy thought...he did a really nice job at Wright State has been a little above average since taking over UCF.  He looks like a born and bred Florida guy so not sure how he'd translate to NU.  I just think the A&M/NU connection makes too much sense that I would be really surprised to see NU go elsewhere unless a surprise candidate emerges. 

I concur, and I wouldn't be shocked if we backed the truck up to get both Childress *and* Bolt out of aTm. 

Plus, Moos said he wants a coach that has P5 head coaching experience already. That kind of rules out Bolt (even though I'd be ecstatic with him as a head coach).

Additionally, according to Sipple on the Ticket Early Break show, Erstad had already given notice to the AD he was going to quit...though he didn't give a specific time when he would quit...just that it would happen in the near future. So the AD office had plenty of time to make a list and check it twice. 

Long story short, I wouldn't be shocked if Moos already has a primary target in mind. Hell, it's Moos...he probably already has a deal in principle with the new coach and he's just gonna make us wait a week just because.   :D

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1