Baseball Coach Search

3 minutes ago, jackattack030 said:

Thanks may be old update but this was the tweet that made me think new update. twitter

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, I posted this up in another thread a few days ago when it initially came out.

This is behind a paywall so can't post the full details but here is a quick snapshot of the candidates D1baseball put together.  D1 has big writeups on all the candidates I listed.

Rick Heller

Childress 

Bolt

Seely

Nate Yeskie-Oregon State asst coach

Ed Servais--ain't happenin but interesting thought

Dan Heefner--Dallas Baptist--would be an awesome hire he's built DBU into an absolute powerhouse.  He's gonna be really expensive as both OU and Baylor took runs at him but couldn't get him to sign due to assistant coach pay.  Money wouldn't an issue for NU obviously.

Matt Deggs--Sam Houston State--Coached under DVH at Arkansas and was also the hitting coach and crootin coordinator for Childress at A&M

Nate Thompson--current hitting coach at Arkansas

6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, I posted this up in another thread a few days ago when it initially came out.

This is behind a paywall so can't post the full details but here is a quick snapshot of the candidates D1baseball put together.  D1 has big writeups on all the candidates I listed.

Rick Heller

Childress 

Bolt

Seely

Nate Yeskie-Oregon State asst coach

Ed Servais--ain't happenin but interesting thought

Dan Heefner--Dallas Baptist--would be an awesome hire he's built DBU into an absolute powerhouse.  He's gonna be really expensive as both OU and Baylor took runs at him but couldn't get him to sign due to assistant coach pay.  Money wouldn't an issue for NU obviously.

Matt Deggs--Sam Houston State--Coached under DVH at Arkansas and was also the hitting coach and crootin coordinator for Childress at A&M

Nate Thompson--current hitting coach at Arkansas

Thanks its a mystery. I went to Sam Houston, Matt Deggs stock has gone down since the Super Regionals. Heefner would be solid at Nebraska. A&M was ranked bottom of SEC in hitting so question about Bolt. 

Thinking out loud here, I think Moos knew this was coming and if it was going to be Childress or anyone else, an announcement would've been made over the weekend and it would be all over the bottom line during the super regionals.  What if Moos' guy is still coaching?

1 hour ago, garn said:

Thinking out loud here, I think Moos knew this was coming and if it was going to be Childress or anyone else, an announcement would've been made over the weekend and it would be all over the bottom line during the super regionals.  What if Moos' guy is still coaching?

Intriguing suggestion. I think that's unlikely, but to run with it, the guys who are coaching as of right now are:

Already in CWS:

Mike Martin - Florida State

Dan McDonnell - Louisville

Erik Bakich - Michigan

Chris Lemonis - Mississippi State

Tim Tadlock - Texas Tech

Tim Corbin - Vanderbilt

Still in Super Regionals:

Butch Thompson - Auburn

Mike Fox - North Carolina

Dave Van Horn - Arkansas

Mike Bianco - Ole Miss

I think we could rule out Dave Van Horn - much as we'd all love to have him back, he's not leaving his dream job.

Of those guys, who do you see possibly jumping ship and coming to Nebraska? I think any of these guys seems unlikely - what's more likely is an assistant from one of these schools, and I don't think that's going to move anyone's needle.

• Plus1 3

This is just me spitballing but I wonder if there is any way that they can snag O'Connor from UVA?  UVA has kinda spiraled down a bit since winning the title in 2015....missing regionals the past 2 years.  It looks like he's making about $700k/year which is honestly probably underpaying him quite a bit.  I wonder what happens if Nebraska plops down a mil ball+ in front of him...Would be an absolute coup to snag him.

I dunno how O'Connor would be received by Nebraska fans--sure he's from Omaha, but he was a Creighton guy, IIRC. 

Really hoping for Childress or Bolt, but if Moos goes another direction...well, he's got some cache to burn. 

19 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Rick Heller

Rick Heller? Hell(er) no, that would be a major step backwards. So what if he's had Nebraska's number--that doesn't seems to have translated into any CWS trips or deep NCAA Tourney runs for Iowa. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I dunno how O'Connor would be received by Nebraska fans--sure he's from Omaha, but he was a Creighton guy, IIRC. 

Really hoping for Childress or Bolt, but if Moos goes another direction...well, he's got some cache to burn. 

Rick Heller? Hell(er) no, that would be a major step backwards. So what if he's had Nebraska's number--that doesn't seems to have translated into any CWS trips or deep NCAA Tourney runs for Iowa. 

O'Connor should be welcomed like Parisians welcoming the Allies when they liberated Paris if he comes to Nebraska.  4 CWS trips, one title plus another title game appearance.  If anyone grumbles that O'Connor being a Creighton guy is a detriment they should be loaded into a cannon and shot into space.  I'd be tickled with either Childress or O'Connor but if given the choice in this mythical scenario, I'd take O'Connor every day and twice on Sunday.

I get that even mentioning Heller's name with him being at Iowa is a pretty hot take.  Still, what he's done at Iowa with a fraction of the resources versus what's available at Nebraska is pretty impressive.  The guys at D1 baseball saw fit to include him as a possible choice so that's good enough for me.  I think it's highly unlikely for several reasons but I think he's as good if not better of a coach than Erstad.

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

This is just me spitballing but I wonder if there is any way that they can snag O'Connor from UVA?  UVA has kinda spiraled down a bit since winning the title in 2015....missing regionals the past 2 years.  It looks like he's making about $700k/year which is honestly probably underpaying him quite a bit.  I wonder what happens if Nebraska plops down a mil ball+ in front of him...Would be an absolute coup to snag him.

My thought is that its O'Connor. Moos seems to love the Nebraska ties and he was on the short list. The only thing I can't rectify is why O'Connor would be interested in coming here, unless he would just like something new, we throw more money at him, and/or he has any desire to get back to the midwest.  He's young enough that the move makes a bit of sense. It's a long shot and I am not sure I would do it if I'm O'Connor, but if there is any truth to the "trifecta of home run hires," rumors, this one seems to fit. 

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

So, he's a coach that had a great year, but hasn't been able to sustain that.  Is this the type of profile we want in the new coach?

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, he's a coach that had a great year, but hasn't been able to sustain that.  Is this the type of profile we want in the new coach?

He's had much more than just one great year.  He made the tournament every year except the last two and has been to 4 CWS.

56 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

My thought is that its O'Connor. Moos seems to love the Nebraska ties and he was on the short list. The only thing I can't rectify is why O'Connor would be interested in coming here, unless he would just like something new, we throw more money at him, and/or he has any desire to get back to the midwest.  He's young enough that the move makes a bit of sense. It's a long shot and I am not sure I would do it if I'm O'Connor, but if there is any truth to the "trifecta of home run hires," rumors, this one seems to fit. 

ACC money isn't nearly on par with B1G money (yet). We can probably go just north of $1m/year for a new baseball coach and another $1m to $1.5m (depending on if the third assistant coach approval gets passed next year) for the assistant pool and it won't be a big deal. 

4 hours ago, garn said:

I'm thinking that if Moos has his guy, he wants to wait until this weekend when the collective college baseball media is gathered 50 miles away from his campus. 

• Plus1 4
43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

did you even bother to check out his record at uva? he's been to the regionals all but the last 2 years. 4 cws and 2 more super regionals. won one cws, was runner-up in another. i'd say that is almost exactly the type of profile we'd want.

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's had 4 CWS appearances in the 16 years he's been at the helm plus a couple other super regionals and as @Lil' Red mentioned, he's been to regionals every year except the last 2.  I understand where you're coming from with the recent downturn but these last couple years seem much more blip versus trend.

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm thinking that if Moos has his guy, he wants to wait until this weekend when the collective college baseball media is gathered 50 miles away from his campus. 

Excellent point.  Makes a ton of sense.