Baseball Coach Search

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm thinking that if Moos has his guy, he wants to wait until this weekend when the collective college baseball media is gathered 50 miles away from his campus. 

Just now, Xmas32 said:

He's had 4 CWS appearances in the 16 years he's been at the helm plus a couple other super regionals and as @Lil' Red mentioned, he's been to regionals every year except the last 2.  I understand where you're coming from with the recent downturn but these last couple years seem much more blip versus trend.

Ok...thanks for the info.  I don't follow college baseball at all other than casually paying attention to Nebraska.  So, I have no clue who is a good coach and who isn't.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

My thought is that its O'Connor. Moos seems to love the Nebraska ties and he was on the short list. The only thing I can't rectify is why O'Connor would be interested in coming here, unless he would just like something new, we throw more money at him, and/or he has any desire to get back to the midwest.  He's young enough that the move makes a bit of sense. It's a long shot and I am not sure I would do it if I'm O'Connor, but if there is any truth to the "trifecta of home run hires," rumors, this one seems to fit. 

Yeah I'm struggling a little bit with the 'why' as well.  I get the obvious born in Omaha went to Creighton chance to come back angles.  And baseball coaches, while they're certainly well compensated aren't making what their football and basketball counterparts are so that few extra hundred thousand I think makes a difference.  At the same time, I don't get the impression that UVA fans are clamoring for his head versus some of the shots that Childress is taking at A&M.  

I think after the Football and Basketball hires by Moos. I think all options are on the table. Moos apparently can go out and get his guy- even someone who people laugh at and say is not realistic. I remember early on Hoiberg was a pie in the sky dream and Frost loved Orlando and his wife didnt want to live in Nebraska. 

• Plus1 2

I found a Washington Post article that states Brian O'Connor's parents still live in Council Bluffs and it was also where he met his wife. That's a lot of prospective relatives that would be happy to see them closer to home. In another article, he gives credit to his dad for his love of baseball and says having all 3 of his kids present at the CWS in Omaha is special (not sure where his kids live or their ages).

This is from a June 2014 article:

RIOv4as.png

Anyway, my point is, if his father loves baseball and is getting up there in age, being able to see his son's team's games (and his son & family more often) might be a big draw back to Nebraska (along with a better salary/lifestyle).

• Plus1 2

After winning the national championship in 2015, Virginia head coach Brian O’Connor signed a new contract that paid him near $700,000 a season, according to reports

The source article is 2 years old, but provides some (2 year old) context. :lol:
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/usc-s-million-dollar-question-how-much-are-gamec$%ks-willing/article_76aab36a-4bfa-11e7-8320-b70963103eb5.html

• Plus1 1
On 6/10/2019 at 9:56 AM, Husker03 said:

My thought is that its O'Connor. Moos seems to love the Nebraska ties and he was on the short list. The only thing I can't rectify is why O'Connor would be interested in coming here, unless he would just like something new, we throw more money at him, and/or he has any desire to get back to the midwest.  He's young enough that the move makes a bit of sense. It's a long shot and I am not sure I would do it if I'm O'Connor, but if there is any truth to the "trifecta of home run hires," rumors, this one seems to fit. 

Why did Hoiberg come here? Don't have to rectify someone coming. Money talks.

Does A&M finishing almost dead last in offense for sec concern anyone with Bolt? Fact Moos said he wants someone with head coaching experience and Childress let’s assume is out based on recent tweets. I think Heefner or O’Connor. If assistants are on the table I think Bolt or Arkansas hitting coach Nate Thompson former volunteer coach at Nebraska. 

13 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm shocked people think O'Connor would be a bad hire.

Personally he and Bolt are 1 and 1A for me. Obviously O'Connor has a ton more experience as a HC. I wouldn't mind the Dallas Baptist guy either.

I think the concern is that O'Connor has has two bad years and his trajectory appears to be headed in the wrong direction. 

Honestly, I think O'Connor would be a great hire, though my heart really wants Bolt and/or Childress (though we know the latter isn't going to likely happen). If we give O'Connor a good assistant pool, I don't see why we can't pull off what he's done before at DoNU. 

And by done before, I mean win a lot and go to the CWS, not have an underwhelming season.