Baseball Coach Search

One thing that no one seems to be talking about is buyout numbers on prospective hires.

Part of that may be that salary and buyout numbers seem to be harder to come by for NCAA Baseball head coaches.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/2018-p5-baseball-compensation/

I still feel that O'Connor might be the best fit because he and his wife may want to come home, particular now that he has earned his stripes at Virginia. Even if he didn't particulary desire to come home, Nebraska is a great destination - given how set up Erstad has left the program, how Nebraska's facilities are top notch, and how the Big Ten is ascending in both money and NCAA baseball (thanks to climate change ;) :lol:).

EDIT: Childress is reportedly OUT, unless he is fired and paid his contract. Is there a chance that Moos is hoping that happens and he can be hired sans buyout?

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I think the concern is that O'Connor has has two bad years and his trajectory appears to be headed in the wrong direction. 

Honestly, I think O'Connor would be a great hire, though my heart really wants Bolt and/or Childress (though we know the latter isn't going to likely happen). If we give O'Connor a good assistant pool, I don't see why we can't pull off what he's done before at DoNU. 

And by done before, I mean win a lot and go to the CWS, not have an underwhelming season.

I understand looking at the last 2 years and thinking Oh Crap Mike Riley on the downward trajectory of his career all over again. But there are some major differences and reasons I would not be concerned about that. 

First off teams can just have a down year or 2 if they missed on a few recruiting classes-hitters or pitchers, etc. They play in the south so their week in and week out competition is much better than he would face in the big 10. He is a proven winner at D1 level. Riley never did crap his whole career- outside of pulling some big upsets.

Riley was already in his 60's so his career was winding down. OConnor is only 48 so he is still a young guy. Just a few years removed from back to back college world series finals appearances and winning one of those. So I dont think he forgot how to coach. Career coaching record of 700-288-2 .708 win %. Compare that to probably our best coach ever DVH. 688-381 or .644 win %. When you look at his career he had 1 or 2 year blips where he would only win 29 games or something too.

Here is the last 6 years record for Virginia

2019- 32-24

2018- 29-25

2017- 43-16

2016- 38-22

2015- 44-24 National Champions

2014- 53-16 Runner up in National Championship

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, jackattack030 said:

Does A&M finishing almost dead last in offense for sec concern anyone with Bolt? Fact Moos said he wants someone with head coaching experience and Childress let’s assume is out based on recent tweets. I think Heefner or O’Connor. If assistants are on the table I think Bolt or Arkansas hitting coach Nate Thompson former volunteer coach at Nebraska. 

Where have they finished in previous years? Is this a trend or is it just an anomaly?

On 6/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, hskrfan4life said:

Why did Hoiberg come here? Don't have to rectify someone coming. Money talks.

You’re correct, you don’t have to have  family connections etc. as a reason for a coach taking a certain job. But it is about more than money for many of these guys and trotting Hoiberg out as your example is pretty ill advised. If you hadn’t heard, Hoiberg’s grandfather was the Nebraska basketball coach before Cipriano and Fred grew up in Lincoln and has many family ties here. For Hoiberg it sure seemed to have a lot to do with his decision to come here. Hell almost every interview centered on his grandfather and family ties to the Huskers and he seemed more than happy to discuss those things while never mentioning the pay once. I’d feel pretty safe saying he would not have landed in Lincoln if it were not for those family ties.

• Plus1 1