Baseball Coach Search

1 hour ago, jackattack030 said:

Feels like Bolt is another Erstad. Needs to get big assistants. 

Don't know where this is coming from, but Bolt has already been a successful head coach at a lower division and spent a number of years as an assistant coach in Nebraska and aTm...not to mention he's a former DVH player. Bolt has a body of work as a coach that Erstad didn't. This is a good hire...plus look at the success that coaches with similar resumes have produced lately. 

Yes, Bolt needs to get big assistants, though I would have zero problems with keeping Silva on to help Bolt figure out the lay of the land and handle pitching. I'm curious/concerned that Moos didn't open up the purse strings for this hire, though, as I figured a $1m annual salary would have gotten Childress out of aTm. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, VectorVictor said:

Don't know where this is coming from, but Bolt has already been a successful head coach at a lower division and spent a number of years as an assistant coach in Nebraska and aTm...not to mention he's a former DVH player. Bolt has a body of work as a coach that Erstad didn't. 

Yes, Bolt needs to get big assistants, though I would have zero problems with keeping Silva on to help Bolt figure out the lay of the land and handle pitching. I'm curious/concerned that Moos didn't open up the purse strings for this hire, though, as I figured a $1m annual salary would have gotten Childress out of aTm. 

First time P5 coach so I would assume he is cheap. Potentially a high ceiling head coach. Guessing DVH would help him as a mentor if he asks questions considering he was his coach once upon a time.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

First time P5 coach so I would assume he is cheap. Potentially a high ceiling head coach. Guessing DVH would help him as a mentor if he asks questions considering he was his coach once upon a time.

The OWH says we’re paying $300k/yr. for five years. I hope we offered Childress more than that...otherwise it’s no wonder Childress turned us down.

And I hope the assistant coach salary pool is more than sufficient to land some good talent to help him out. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:31 PM, teachercd said:

Yeah but that is such an insignificant number when it comes to the department anyway. 

This. Did we just not have articles from Sipple, et al, suggesting we're not competing just against the B1G, but the rest of the country?

I get that Bolt is an unproven commodity as head coach at Div I-A. But that seems low considering what Erstad was making and how he was giving us a discount. 

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

There are only a handful of baseball coaches that make that much. 

Yeah that is what I mean...NU is printing money...a baseball coach at NU making 750-1,000,000 is not going to hurt the bottom line but a team that makes the CWS is worth its weight in gold.

So 300K for Bolt (And I am not against the hire, I don't care at all who they get) or 800K for "the guy" isn't really that big of an issue for NU.