Mo wash cited for drug paraphernalia

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

@Nebfanatic - It's good info. It's not necessarily a one-for-one parallel because in that case, there was an actual drug test mandated by the NCAA, so that's a clear cut question of rules violations.

I think what it shows is Washington isn't getting booted, for this at least. It seems to me Frost will rarely drop the axe on someone as punishment. How can he teach kids the right way and mentor them if he just cuts ties? Not Frosts style I think. 

4 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Is it OK to sit up in those posh dorms and smoke weed if you are a Nebraska Cornhusker football player?

Yes.

4 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Is that what teams do when they are trying to climb to the top?  

Yes.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

and for gosh sakes, if you're going to smoke weed in Nebraska, don't friggin get caught. It's not that hard. 

You hit the nail on the head with the real problem here. Everyone's calling him low character or lacking discipline or whatever kind of character insults because he got caught. Not because he smoked, because he got busted smoking. Which is a mistake. Probably a stupid one, but also a minor one, and not something that you shouldn't be able to come back from regardless of what else is going on.

• Plus1 1

How about Mo's roommate(s)?  Citing too?

tenor.gif?itemid=3566880

Washington's roommate :lol:

Anyway, need to change Nebraska law.  Outdated.  According to Wiki map, only three states prohibited for any use including medical use .... Idaho, South Dakota and Nebraska.  Recreational use of weed is legal in 12 states (and climbing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_U.S._jurisdiction

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think what it shows is Washington isn't getting booted, for this at least. It seems to me Frost will rarely drop the axe on someone as punishment. How can he teach kids the right way and mentor them if he just cuts ties? Not Frosts style I think. 

Yep, I agree that there are some precedents there for sure.

Just as an aside to this specific incident, I've been wondering for the last six months-ish if there's a specific set of team rules that provide hard and fast lines in the sand for suspension/dismissal. I really don't know the answer.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep, I agree that there are some precedents there for sure.

Just as an aside to this specific incident, I've been wondering for the last six months-ish if there's a specific set of team rules that provide hard and fast lines in the sand for suspension/dismissal. I really don't know the answer.

I'm absolutely sure there are, but you'd have to do something pretty bad or detrimental to the team I would assume. Family culture also means sticking with guys through mistakes and getting them out the other end a better person. Its an interesting discussion to have though as to what would merit dismissal.

I found a daily crime log for UNL. MoWa's is the first one of the day on June 4th. I bet someone either reported him or the cops walked the halls and caught him. Either way, he needs to be better. We took a chance on this kid and hopefully, he learns his mistakes reflect not just himself but the team. 

Also, heard Caleb Tannor did something bad with fraud but nothing to confirm just yet. But for now, it is just a rumor. 

Link to the UNL crime log on June 4th

https://scsapps.unl.edu/policereports/MainPage.aspx

6 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I found a daily crime log for UNL. MoWa's is the first one of the day on June 4th. I bet someone either reported him or the cops walked the halls and caught him. Either way, he needs to be better. We took a chance on this kid and hopefully, he learns his mistakes reflect not just himself but the team. 

Also, heard Caleb Tannor did something bad with fraud but nothing to confirm just yet. But for now, it is just a rumor. 

Link to the UNL crime log on June 4th

https://scsapps.unl.edu/policereports/MainPage.aspx

You mean like ordering a pizza with someone's credit card?

27 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yes.

Yes.

You hit the nail on the head with the real problem here. Everyone's calling him low character or lacking discipline or whatever kind of character insults because he got caught. Not because he smoked, because he got busted smoking. Which is a mistake. Probably a stupid one, but also a minor one, and not something that you shouldn't be able to come back from regardless of what else is going on.

Your answers should've been No and No.

It is not OK for a football player or any student to sit in their dorm and smoke weed. It's against University rules and probably also team rules. You and many others are confusing "what should be" with "what is". You don't just get to make up your own rules because you, or even a majority of others, disagree with the current rules.

And I don't know where/how anyone thinks this is what teams do that are trying to excel at football or any sport. Weed is not a performance enhancer. Sure, it may not be as bad for the body as alcohol or eating junk food but you would have to cite the study that proves smoking MJ helps players perform. The answer is No, because putting weed ahead of your teammates and commitments is what selfish people do. It is in no way, shape or form a plan for making the player or team better. And, right or wrong, it is currently against Nebraska law and University rules.

I'm not impugning his character over either issue. However I am beginning to question his intelligence and his commitment to the team. It may not be fair but big time D1 football players, especially at Nebraska, are under a microscope and need to conform to a higher standard of conduct. That goes double for a player who is already involved with an issue that is cutting into his practice time and availability to participate in games. If weed or alcohol or whatever is more important to them than the team, then they may find themselves not on the team. It may not be a character issue but it is at the least stupid and irresponsible. Personally I don't think either issue is a deal breaker....yet, but it is definitely strike 2 with an 0-2 count.

• Plus1 9

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

And if they don't play well, you're fine putting him back in because now we need him? If you're actually trying to send a message, it can't be contingent on game performance. And I've never seen a 5 game suspension for a first strike - unless you're combining it with his California thing, but that has to be resolved before they figure out a punishment.

Yeah, I think the 2 strikes makes it worse and you factor that into a bigger suspension.  As far as it bein unfair to him, Hey you put yourself in that spot.  You knew what team rules were.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Yes.

Yes.

You and me must gave grown up in quite different areas.  In grew up in the Nebraska Sandhills.  There was some keg parties, but no weed.  Weed was not OK.  Like Merle said, " WE DON'T SMOKE MARIJUANA".  It's not that hard.  There's a lot of us former Sandhill kids who are shocked at how accepted it is even by the police.  Just sayin.  I am not justifying alcohol either.  It is really bad for some folks.  Weed though changes personalities, even when you are not high.  I have seen it.   I don't think it has a place at all in our top notch athletic dorms.  I don't think you can be your best if you are getting high regularly.  

• Plus1 6
14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

:blink:

He's literally been charge with a crime, plead not guilty, and has a court date set.

He has not entered a plea yet.  His court date is June 12 to enter his plea.  Look if Frost wants to boot hime for the Cali thing, he can. I just don't think he will.  Punishing him for it makes little sense to me as well as I"m sure the courts will take care of that. Had he been a member of the team when it happened, then some sort of punishment from the team/Frost would be expected.  I think that is an important factor here, but who knows.  We'll see how this all shakes out.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Your answers should've been No and No.

It is not OK for a football player or any student to sit in their dorm and smoke weed.

I disagree. I think it's totally okay.

It's against University rules and probably also team rules.

I personally reject the idea that rules don't define if something is inherently okay or not. 

You and many others are confusing "what should be" with "what is".

I'm not confusing the two, I know what each is. I just weight them and evaluate them differently than you.

And I don't know where/how anyone thinks this is what teams do that are trying to excel at football or any sport.

People think this is what teams do because........this is what teams do :lol:. I couldn't care less if it's good or not; it's happening and it's true. Overwhelming majority of players for Nebraska, Utah, Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, UMASS, Iowa State and Harvard all smoke weed.

22 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

You and me must gave grown up in quite different areas.  In grew up in the Nebraska Sandhills.  There was some keg parties, but no weed.  Weed was not OK.  Like Merle said, " WE DON'T SMOKE MARIJUANA".  It's not that hard.  There's a lot of us former Sandhill kids who are shocked at how accepted it is even by the police.  Just sayin.  I am not justifying alcohol either.  It is really bad for some folks.  Weed though changes personalities, even when you are not high.  I have seen it.   I don't think it has a place at all in our top notch athletic dorms.  I don't think you can be your best if you are getting high regularly.  

No I grew up in a very similar area. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and double standard. If weed isn't okay then alcohol for minors isn't either (guess which one kills way more people and ruins way more lives?)

• Plus1 1