Mo wash cited for drug paraphernalia

IMO, what the research does or doesn't say is, at this point, irrelevant to the matter at hand. As are personal opinions about marijuana.

The university outlaws what Mo did. The state does not have legalized marijuana. I think we've all done things that were illegal and didn't get caught, but if one does get caught, making indirect or direct excuses for it is lame. It sort of is what it is until the law says otherwise.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

For more info, Bleacher Report interviewed 12 former pro athletes and 8 of them said they smoked weed regularly while playing. 

Eben Britton estimates at least 50% and up to 75% of NFL players smoke weed. An anonymous sports agent in the same article guessed 80%.

Ricky Williams thinks at least 70% in the early 2000s smoked.

The NCAA did a research study that said at least 25% did, although I couldn't find their research methodology.

But what about the "overwhelming majority" of players from Nebraska or Utah or any of the other handful of teams you stated smoke weed as a fact? Don't worry about Bama, I'll spot ya that one :lol: Also a little unsure what Harvard or UMass has to do with football so don't worry about them either.  If it was just a brain fart of hyperbole or complete lack of actual verifiable information, it's okay to say so.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Soooo, they got one player to anecdotally hazard a guess at the percentage of NFL players who smoke weed and that’s your proof? :lol: And the premise of that article was NFL players using it as an alternative for pain management. That actually makes good sense for NFL players and anyone who is managing pain. Does Mo have lingering pain issues? I mean that one hit he took last year did look pretty nasty :P

Look, I’m really not disagreeing with your position on weed. Hell I take CBD oil and occasionally marijuana edibles for health reasons, and I’ve been known to puff the magic dragon for purely recreational purposes (it’s legal where I live, unlike Lincoln Nebraska) But until the law and rules actually change, what Mo did in this instance was wrong. I’m not saying kick him off the team or that it is some huge character flaw. I’m just saying it was stupid and not team oriented behavior.

I don’t know if Mo is suffering from injuries or pain right now, but I’m sure he’s pretty nervous about a certain legal situation that is still outstanding in CA. I am sure he is using pot to cope with that fear and anxiety and just wanted to chill in the evening of his citation. 

55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO, what the research does or doesn't say is, at this point, irrelevant to the matter at hand. As are personal opinions about marijuana.

The university outlaws what Mo did. The state does not have legalized marijuana. I think we've all done things that were illegal and didn't get caught, but if one does get caught, making indirect or direct excuses for it is lame. It sort of is what it is until the law says otherwise.

+1

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

But what about the "overwhelming majority" of players from Nebraska or Utah or any of the other handful of teams you stated smoke weed as a fact? Don't worry about Bama, I'll spot ya that one :lol: Also a little unsure what Harvard or UMass has to do with football so don't worry about them either.  If it was just a brain fart of hyperbole or complete lack of actual verifiable information, it's okay to say so.

Sometimes you just know something you can't prove, and lots of other people know it too. Don't really care if you believe it or not, but it's pretty obvious and common knowledge to me and many others that athletes generally smoke weed. When I was in college I only knew four out of 50+ athletes that didn't.

BTW did you know that UMASS and Harvard have football teams?

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Sometimes you just know something you can't prove, and lots of other people know it too. Don't really care if you believe it or not, but it's pretty obvious and common knowledge to me and many others that athletes generally smoke weed. When I was in college I only knew four out of 50+ athletes that didn't.

BTW did you know that UMASS and Harvard have football teams?

Yeah, I know they have football teams. It was an attempt at humor.

And BTW, when you were in college, our football team absolutely sucked. When I was in college they were finishing top 10 in the country and regularly in the Natty picture and only about 4 of 50+ athletes that I knew did smoke weed. Obviously this means all kinds of things about smoking weed and the impact it has on sports performance and is an unquestionable data point for exactly how many players smoke weed at every D1 school in the country. You might not believe it but you should because I said so and many others agree with me.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I think there is some that is missing the point. Sure it's a minor offense, but MO already has a dark cloud hanging over his head. The kid is only a sophomore and it's already the second time he has found himself in trouble. Granted 19 yr old kids make stupid decisions, but this wasn't just dumb but selfish as well. He wasn't thinking about the team and I'm sure that's not the culture Frost is trying to bring back to Lincoln. Regardless of your stance on pot, he broke team rules and should face consequences. Because what's the point of having team rules if kids don't feel like they will be held accountable for breaking them? Now whether that's running more stadium steps, game suspension, or in MO's case getting booted off the team, that's the coaches and the Univerity's decision. But I'm sure they're thinking of what is better long term for the program. Frost keeps talking about how we need more leadership and thats probably why he doesn't feel like we're ready for a unity council yet. I miss the days where if a kid did something stupid they were more afraid of dealing with the team and guys like the Peter brothers and Barret Ruud then they were of Tom Osborne.

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

You and me must gave grown up in quite different areas.  In grew up in the Nebraska Sandhills.  There was some keg parties, but no weed.  Weed was not OK.  Like Merle said, " WE DON'T SMOKE MARIJUANA".  It's not that hard.  There's a lot of us former Sandhill kids who are shocked at how accepted it is even by the police.  Just sayin.  I am not justifying alcohol either.  It is really bad for some folks.  Weed though changes personalities, even when you are not high.  I have seen it.   I don't think it has a place at all in our top notch athletic dorms.  I don't think you can be your best if you are getting high regularly.  

Wait, so alcohol cant change behaviors?  I laugh how 60% of the people in the state have huge double standards when it comes to alcohol and weed.  "Weed can change behavior" well, people who are alcoholics change their behavior.  Even when they get sober their behavior changes.  "You cant be at your best even you get high regularly" well, a few NBA players said peers are high when they play and NFL players get high all the time.  But if a player gets a MIP then it's no big deal but God forbid its weed.  Double standard is ridiculous.  

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, Vegas said:

I think there is some that is missing the point. Sure it's a minor offense, but MO already has a dark cloud hanging over his head. The kid is only a sophomore and it's already the second time he has found himself in trouble. Granted 19 yr old kids make stupid decisions, but this wasn't just dumb but selfish as well. He wasn't thinking about the team and I'm sure that's not the culture Frost is trying to bring back to Lincoln. Regardless of your stance on pot, he broke team rules and should face consequences. Because what's the point of having team rules if kids don't feel like they will be held accountable for breaking them? Now whether that's running more stadium steps, game suspension, or in MO's case getting booted off the team, that's the coaches and the Univerity's decision. But I'm sure they're thinking of what is better long term for the program. Frost keeps talking about how we need more leadership and thats probably why he doesn't feel like we're ready for a unity council yet. I miss the days where if a kid did something stupid they were more afraid of dealing with the team and guys like the Peter brothers and Barret Ruud then they were of Tom Osborne.

I know this is a popular thing to say/think but people really need to understand what this means.  

The idea that players will be out a party (or bar or dorm room) and some booze is being passed around or a joint is being passed around and it gets to the player and he shakes his head and goes "Nope, none for me...I have to think about the team first" is really not realistic.  

The "culture" is about winning and lifting and being a badass.  It is about being on time and paying attention...it is about playing through pain...it is about showing up to extra team stuff, lifting, running plays, going out to eat.  

Don't get me wrong, every coach in America at all levels wants their players to be in bed by 9pm each night, never miss class, call everyone "Sir and Ma'am" and never drink or smoke or speed or roll through a stop sign...but they are also realistic.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

If a law makes no sense I follow it no matter what. I have no ability to decipher morality outside of what the government tells me is right and wrong and will judge others as such.   

Well, that approach should keep you out of jail and legal trouble and prevent you from getting kicked off any sports teams. :thumbs 

This is the problem with this discussion. Some are talking about what is legal. Some are talking about what is moral. Others are talking about what should be the law while others are talking about how things really are.

Is it a good plan to not follow laws because you've determined they make no sense and therefore have chosen to act how you desire?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Is it a good plan to not follow laws because you've determined they make no sense and therefore have chosen to act how you desire?

I think he was just pushing back on the idea that it's right to follow all laws no matter their morality, when it's not. My head jumped to this too, although not in support of the argument that what Washington did was fine - my argument on weed and athletes has always been that they know the rules and laws, and they should follow them until they're not rules or laws anymore. But I was thinking about laws under oppressive governments. People shouldn't follow laws blindly if the laws are morally wrong. But it doesn't apply here because it's not morally wrong for pot to be illegal (except, imo, when someone has an illness that it helps treat). There's no big moral conundrum here. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think he was just pushing back on the idea that it's right to follow all laws no matter their morality, when it's not. My head jumped to this too, although not in support of the argument that what Washington did was fine - my argument on weed and athletes has always been that they know the rules and laws, and they should follow them until they're not rules or laws anymore. But I was thinking about laws under oppressive governments. People shouldn't follow laws blindly if the laws are morally wrong. But it doesn't apply here because it's not morally wrong for pot to be illegal (except, imo, when someone has an illness that it helps treat). There's no big moral conundrum here. 

The war on drugs was designed to throw people of color in prison and african americans are arrested at 4 times the rate as white folks for weed so I disagree there is no big moral conundrum

Edit: if you go back further, cannabis was only made illegal due to lobbying from the paper industry because William Randolph Hurst knew hemp paper would destroy his paper mill business using pines. So they proceeded on a smear campaign associating cannabis with mexicans by calling it marijuana. Now if you smoke it youll go crazy and rape people. Sound familiar? Cannabis prohibition has been completely immoral from the start.

Parts of this conversation probably needs to be moved to P&R.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2