Mo wash cited for drug paraphernalia

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The war on drugs was designed to throw people of color in prison and african americans are arrested at 4 times the rate as white folks for weed so I disagree there is no big moral conundrum

Edit: if you go back further, cannabis was only made illegal due to lobbying from the paper industry because William Randolph Hurst knew hemp paper would destroy his paper mill business using pines. So they proceeded on a smear campaign associating cannabis with mexicans by calling it marijuana. Now if you smoke it youll go crazy and rape people. Sound familiar? Cannabis prohibition has been completely immoral from the start.

Parts of this conversation probably needs to be moved to P&R.

I’m aware of all that and think it should be legal everywhere for people 21 and up. 

But it isn’t a moral conundrum as far as deciding whether to smoke pot and break the law or not. Not smoking pot does not require someone to do something immoral.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I’m aware of all that and think it should be legal everywhere for people 21 and up. 

But it isn’t a moral conundrum as far as deciding whether to smoke pot and break the law or not. Not smoking pot does not require someone to do something immoral.

Yes but you said its not morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal. I disagree. I think its important everyone know this law wasn't put in place for moralities sake or for the health and saftey of the american people. The laws are how they are because people were greedy and racist.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The war on drugs was designed to throw people of color in prison and african americans are arrested at 4 times the rate as white folks for weed so I disagree there is no big moral conundrum

Edit: if you go back further, cannabis was only made illegal due to lobbying from the paper industry because William Randolph Hurst knew hemp paper would destroy his paper mill business using pines. So they proceeded on a smear campaign associating cannabis with mexicans by calling it marijuana. Now if you smoke it youll go crazy and rape people. Sound familiar? Cannabis prohibition has been completely immoral from the start.

Parts of this conversation probably needs to be moved to P&R.

Without diving too much into the P&R portion of this discussion, the history and legality of drugs has always been fascinating to me. I studied it in college and wish I could remember more of the particular details. So much of why certain drugs are criminalized and others are not has to do with economics and racism/xenophobia, and very little to do with health or morality (aside from the immorality of how these legal decisions are made). 

I doubt that was what was on Mo's mind when he was puffing away, though.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Ulty said:

Without diving too much into the P&R portion of this discussion, the history and legality of drugs has always been fascinating to me. I studied it in college and wish I could remember more of the particular details. So much of why certain drugs are criminalized and others are not has to do with economics and racism/xenophobia, and very little to do with health or morality (aside from the immorality of how these legal decisions are made). 

I doubt that was what was on Mo's mind when he was puffing away, though.

Of course Maurice Washington was probably thinking of none of this at any time during this episode.

It is interesting though because I think we could benefit greatly from looking at these things from the actual standpoint of health and safety rather than all of the political motivations but that is a conversation for another place and time.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I know this is a popular thing to say/think but people really need to understand what this means.  

The idea that players will be out a party (or bar or dorm room) and some booze is being passed around or a joint is being passed around and it gets to the player and he shakes his head and goes "Nope, none for me...I have to think about the team first" is really not realistic.  

The "culture" is about winning and lifting and being a badass.  It is about being on time and paying attention...it is about playing through pain...it is about showing up to extra team stuff, lifting, running plays, going out to eat.  

Don't get me wrong, every coach in America at all levels wants their players to be in bed by 9pm each night, never miss class, call everyone "Sir and Ma'am" and never drink or smoke or speed or roll through a stop sign...but they are also realistic.  

Exactly. Does anyone think the Peters brothers were angels. Come On. I think they probably drank their fair share of beer, did things they were not supposed to. Wasn't it one of the Peters brothers who was accused of assaulting some young girl. Or tried to and people held him back. Maybe that was just rumors.

Yes the team had good leadership and held each other accountable. But some have this dream of this good ole boy team we used to have and its not reality. 

For the record, I strongly believe in leadership, guidance, accountability and punishment that fits the crime. It just gets old with making a mountain out of a mole hill and trying to compare things to a standard of thinking we were choir boys in the old days. 

32 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes but you said its not morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal. I disagree. I think its important everyone know this law wasn't put in place for moralities sake or for the health and saftey of the american people. The laws are how they are because people were greedy and racist.

It isn’t morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal for recreational purposes, even though the original reason for it being illegal was racist. It is merely stupid for it to be illegal.

A law could have an infinite number of reasons why its existence is a good, moral idea or at the very least amoral. The impetous for a law becoming a law being immoral doesn’t make the law itself immoral.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Exactly. Does anyone think the Peters brothers were angels. Come On. I think they probably drank their fair share of beer, did things they were not supposed to. Wasn't it one of the Peters brothers who was accused of assaulting some young girl. Or tried to and people held him back. Maybe that was just rumors.

Yes the team had good leadership and held each other accountable. But some have this dream of this good ole boy team we used to have and its not reality. 

For the record, I strongly believe in leadership, guidance, accountability and punishment that fits the crime. It just gets old with making a mountain out of a mole hill and trying to compare things to a standard of thinking we were choir boys in the old days. 

Yep!

Plus, they get crucified for the same s#!t most of us did.

I drank or had booze in my dorm freshman year as often as I could.  It was also always around in my frat house and I don't remember checking ID's when we had parties.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yep!

Plus, they get crucified for the same s#!t most of us did.

I drank or had booze in my dorm freshman year as often as I could.  It was also always around in my frat house and I don't remember checking ID's when we had parties.

Did you do those things while awaiting trial? And while holding a sports scholarship? Let's not pretend like this is happening in a vacuum and Mo's situation is like every other students'.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It isn’t morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal for recreational purposes, even though the original reason for it being illegal was racist. It is merely stupid for it to be illegal.

A law could have an infinite number of reasons why its existence is a good, moral idea or at the very least amoral. The impetous for a law becoming a law being immoral doesn’t make the law itself immoral.

In another part of the board I would debate you on this but here I'll just agree to disagree. That said Mo should probably have been more situationally aware.

29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's morally wrong to imprison people for doing something innocuous, period. No other way around that really. They are taking away people's lives and destroying families for no good reason. 

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Did you do those things while awaiting trial? And while holding a sports scholarship? Let's not pretend like this is happening in a vacuum and Mo's situation is like every other students'.

I totally get what you are saying and it makes sense but I don't think it means it is fair.  This SHOULD be in a vacuum, about 5 people should know about this, tops.

Lets not pretend that his name should be plastered all over social media and posting sites because he has a sports scholarship. 

Maybe you have kids, I don't know...But if you do I can guarantee you would not want all this on them...no matter what they did.

This s#!t should not be public, it is foolish that it is and frankly it is disgusting that it is public and clearly is not fair.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know this is a popular thing to say/think but people really need to understand what this means.  

The idea that players will be out a party (or bar or dorm room) and some booze is being passed around or a joint is being passed around and it gets to the player and he shakes his head and goes "Nope, none for me...I have to think about the team first" is really not realistic.  

The "culture" is about winning and lifting and being a badass.  It is about being on time and paying attention...it is about playing through pain...it is about showing up to extra team stuff, lifting, running plays, going out to eat.  

Don't get me wrong, every coach in America at all levels wants their players to be in bed by 9pm each night, never miss class, call everyone "Sir and Ma'am" and never drink or smoke or speed or roll through a stop sign...but they are also realistic.  

The culture isn't solely based on lifting and being a bad a$$, but doing the right things as well and developing young men into becoming adults. I know some have mentioned this offense is the same as being pulled over for a trafic violation. I disagree, being pulled over for doing 10 over the speed limit is completely different then using an illegal substance. Who cares what California and Colrado does? Rules are rules and laws are laws whether you agree with them or not. I dont see how this argument is justifiable. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Vegas said:

The culture isn't solely based on lifting and being a bad a$$, but doing the right things as well and developing young men into becoming adults. I know some have mentioned this offense is the same as being pulled over for a trafic violation. I disagree, being pulled over for doing 10 over the speed limit is completely different then using an illegal substance. Who cares what California and Colrado does? Rules are rules and laws are laws whether you agree with them or not. I dont see how this argument is justifiable. 

What about going 75 over the speed limit in a school zone?  Which is worse?

All these "young men" on team will become adults...no matter what the team rules and team culture is/says.  My guess is that 99% of the guys on the team will "grow up" to be pretty good regular guys.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What about going 75 over the speed limit in a school zone?  Which is worse?

All these "young men" on team will become adults...no matter what the team rules and team culture is/says.  My guess is that 99% of the guys on the team will "grow up" to be pretty good regular guys.

Going 75 over in a school zone is straight up negligence as compared to doing ten over on the interstate. This why the violation is treated differently. And I don't compleatly disagree with you, we have a young team that I'm not quite sure was held accountable under coach Riley and staff.

• Plus1 1

Seems like majority want Mo off the team (which is stupid) yet never say anything about the 90s teams.  Like the steroids, Osborne hiding a gun in his desk that one of the players used in a shooting, sexual assaults etc.  If Frost keeps Mo on the team (which I hope he does) and we win the big 10 this year or next then all will be forgotten 

• Fire 1