Mo wash cited for drug paraphernalia

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

Today it's paraphernalia, tomorrow it's accoutrement, it's a slippery slope. 

Before long full on accesorizing..... most people don't make it back

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Does a rolled up dollar bill count as paraphernalia?

Mine all would have.

1 hour ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Defense is awaiting requested discovery.

This is a good sign that perhaps his public defender is actually doing something more than standing up in the court room beside his 'client' and pleading him guilty.   Hopefully he will actually present a defense.  Not to be too cynical but in my practice, I have witnessed far too much of this sort of thing so I hope that Coach Frost is keeping aware of things enough to be sure Mo is actually being fully represented and not sold down the river,.

On the other side, it would seem that the prosecution has likely not done a whole lot in preparation to have to actually present the State's case and prove him guilty.   This is not unusual as many prosecutors simply expect a plea bargain without much real effort or evidence having to be adduced in court.  In a case such as this one, the prosecutor also is counting on the defendant to be indigent and therefore under a great deal of personal financial stress from having to travel, skip work, etc as well as the tremendous pressure he must be feeling vis a vis the football team and his college and status therein.  Another couple delays in the proceedings will push the matter deep into the fall season and the prosecutor knows this very well.   He or she intends to make it as difficult as possible on the defendant to exercise his rights to due process, a fair trial and so on.   This is a common practice in the legal process and I personally find it quite disgusting and unethical but it happens a great deal.  The right to a speedy trial (6 months from being charged generally) is a Constitutionally protected one but the courts all but ignore it as a practical matter.         Continuances and delays are the routine and rarely does a trial ever occur within the 6 months.   Defense is entitled to discovery (being given all the evidence the State has or intends to offer to prove or even to disprove their allegations).  This is a simple case factually and legally it would appear and there really is no reason why the State would not have any discoverable evidence in hand and ready for the defense to have reviewed immediately after the charge was filed.  The defense need not have to wait while the State, who filed this action nearly 6 months ago or so I believe.   Perhaps the State of California can't prove what they have alleged.   

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 6/6/2019 at 1:12 PM, huskerfan333157 said:

Hes the third best player on offense, he still averaged 6 yards per carry and 24 receptions for 224.  Anyone that watched the games knows he has a ton of talent and add in a off season of our strength and conditioning and he will be a star.  I like how people act like we will be fine without him-these are usually the same people that thought we would win 8 or 9 games last year 

We would be fine without him.  Running backs are easy to replace, we wouldn't miss a beat.  I'd that's a breakout year, you have an extremely low bar. 

4 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

We would be fine without him.  Running backs are easy to replace, we wouldn't miss a beat.  I'd that's a breakout year, you have an extremely low bar. 

Counterpoint: if it's at all possible for him to stay, Nebraska is better with him than without him. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This is a good sign that perhaps his public defender is actually doing something more than standing up in the court room beside his 'client' and pleading him guilty.   Hopefully he will actually present a defense.  Not to be too cynical but in my practice, I have witnessed far too much of this sort of thing so I hope that Coach Frost is keeping aware of things enough to be sure Mo is actually being fully represented and not sold down the river,.

On the other side, it would seem that the prosecution has likely not done a whole lot in preparation to have to actually present the State's case and prove him guilty.   This is not unusual as many prosecutors simply expect a plea bargain without much real effort or evidence having to be adduced in court.  In a case such as this one, the prosecutor also is counting on the defendant to be indigent and therefore under a great deal of personal financial stress from having to travel, skip work, etc as well as the tremendous pressure he must be feeling vis a vis the football team and his college and status therein.  Another couple delays in the proceedings will push the matter deep into the fall season and the prosecutor knows this very well.   He or she intends to make it as difficult as possible on the defendant to exercise his rights to due process, a fair trial and so on.   This is a common practice in the legal process and I personally find it quite disgusting and unethical but it happens a great deal.  The right to a speedy trial (6 months from being charged generally) is a Constitutionally protected one but the courts all but ignore it as a practical matter.         Continuances and delays are the routine and rarely does a trial ever occur within the 6 months.   Defense is entitled to discovery (being given all the evidence the State has or intends to offer to prove or even to disprove their allegations).  This is a simple case factually and legally it would appear and there really is no reason why the State would not have any discoverable evidence in hand and ready for the defense to have reviewed immediately after the charge was filed.  The defense need not have to wait while the State, who filed this action nearly 6 months ago or so I believe.   Perhaps the State of California can't prove what they have alleged.   

I'm not really sure why they are requesting discovery now, but that was in an article posted to reddit when I originally found out about it.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Criminal proceedings and eligibility are different things

How so?  I don’t mean to be dense, but he is innocent until proven guilty, which means, IMO, he is eligible until proven guilty.  At the point at which he is found guilty of something, then I think his eligibility will come into question.  But not until.  Or, am I missing something?

Just now, Scarlet Overkill said:

How so?  I don’t mean to be dense, but he is innocent until proven guilty, which means, IMO, he is eligible until proven guilty.  At the point at which he is found guilty of something, then I think his eligibility will come into question.  But not until.  Or, am I missing something?

Players can be ineligible for grades, transferring schools, skipping team meetings, missing curfew, etc. None of that has anything to do with guilt or innocence. The "innocent until proven guilty" is only for the justice system - it doesn't even extend to employees being retained or fired.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2