Jump to content
swmohusker

Mo wash cited for drug paraphernalia

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

I think it is just a fine.  But given his other legal issues pending I think frost might feel pressured to cut him loose.  

Frost doesn't feel pressure.

Ice

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

 

And if they don't play well, you're fine putting him back in because now we need him? If you're actually trying to send a message, it can't be contingent on game performance. And I've never seen a 5 game suspension for a first strike - unless you're combining it with his California thing, but that has to be resolved before they figure out a punishment.

 

Yeah, I think the 2 strikes makes it worse and you factor that into a bigger suspension.  As far as it bein unfair to him, Hey you put yourself in that spot.  You knew what team rules were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

 

Yes.

 

 

Yes.

 

 

 

You hit the nail on the head with the real problem here. Everyone's calling him low character or lacking discipline or whatever kind of character insults because he got caught. Not because he smoked, because he got busted smoking. Which is a mistake. Probably a stupid one, but also a minor one, and not something that you shouldn't be able to come back from regardless of what else is going on.

You and me must gave grown up in quite different areas.  In grew up in the Nebraska Sandhills.  There was some keg parties, but no weed.  Weed was not OK.  Like Merle said, " WE DON'T SMOKE MARIJUANA".  It's not that hard.  There's a lot of us former Sandhill kids who are shocked at how accepted it is even by the police.  Just sayin.  I am not justifying alcohol either.  It is really bad for some folks.  Weed though changes personalities, even when you are not high.  I have seen it.   I don't think it has a place at all in our top notch athletic dorms.  I don't think you can be your best if you are getting high regularly.  

  • Plus1 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

:blink:

 

He's literally been charge with a crime, plead not guilty, and has a court date set.

He has not entered a plea yet.  His court date is June 12 to enter his plea.  Look if Frost wants to boot hime for the Cali thing, he can. I just don't think he will.  Punishing him for it makes little sense to me as well as I"m sure the courts will take care of that. Had he been a member of the team when it happened, then some sort of punishment from the team/Frost would be expected.  I think that is an important factor here, but who knows.  We'll see how this all shakes out.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

 

Your answers should've been No and No.

 

It is not OK for a football player or any student to sit in their dorm and smoke weed.

 

I disagree. I think it's totally okay.

 

 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

It's against University rules and probably also team rules.

 

I personally reject the idea that rules don't define if something is inherently okay or not. 

 

 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

You and many others are confusing "what should be" with "what is".

 

I'm not confusing the two, I know what each is. I just weight them and evaluate them differently than you.

 

 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

And I don't know where/how anyone thinks this is what teams do that are trying to excel at football or any sport.

 

People think this is what teams do because........this is what teams do :lol:. I couldn't care less if it's good or not; it's happening and it's true. Overwhelming majority of players for Nebraska, Utah, Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, UMASS, Iowa State and Harvard all smoke weed.

 

 

 

22 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

You and me must gave grown up in quite different areas.  In grew up in the Nebraska Sandhills.  There was some keg parties, but no weed.  Weed was not OK.  Like Merle said, " WE DON'T SMOKE MARIJUANA".  It's not that hard.  There's a lot of us former Sandhill kids who are shocked at how accepted it is even by the police.  Just sayin.  I am not justifying alcohol either.  It is really bad for some folks.  Weed though changes personalities, even when you are not high.  I have seen it.   I don't think it has a place at all in our top notch athletic dorms.  I don't think you can be your best if you are getting high regularly.  

 

No I grew up in a very similar area. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and double standard. If weed isn't okay then alcohol for minors isn't either (guess which one kills way more people and ruins way more lives?)

 

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Decoy73 said:

He has not entered a plea yet.  His court date is June 12 to enter his plea.  Look if Frost wants to boot hime for the Cali thing, he can. I just don't think he will.  Punishing him for it makes little sense to me as well as I"m sure the courts will take care of that. Had he been a member of the team when it happened, then some sort of punishment from the team/Frost would be expected.  I think that is an important factor here, but who knows.  We'll see how this all shakes out.

My mistake on the plea, but you're still wrong on your main point: this is literally a criminal matter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Yeah, I think the 2 strikes makes it worse and you factor that into a bigger suspension.  As far as it bein unfair to him, Hey you put yourself in that spot.  You knew what team rules were.

 

Not so much what I meant - it's not fair to the other guys. If your message is after the initial suspension you can play if the guys replacing you aren't getting it done, that is not a strong message. Or to put it another way, you're telling the backups we want you to replace the starter because he's breaking rules, but if you can't do it well enough we'll put him back in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some folks maybe have a pie in the sky idea of what Nebraska has always been, yes, even when Dr. Tom was here. Under his watch I bet there was lots of weed smoking, lots of alcohol drinking and lots of sex being had. I also bet there was some criminal activity going on. You know what- I even bet those 90's teams probably had a whole lots of steroids going on. But does anyone want to go back in time and say you know what we cheated or did drugs so kick Frazier or Ahman off the team. Or give up the Natty's cause guys were juicin. 

 

Kids do dumb s#!t and s#!t happens at all university's. Lets not act like finding a device used to smoke weed that had residue on it is that big of a deal. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The real question is who is the Narc who called the cops for smelling weed?

The backup runningback. 

  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

The internet is fairly new. As times change, there are new reasons to add laws. Revenge porn law is directly related to how easily this stuff can get disseminated to hundreds/thousands/millions of people. That wasn't possible to this extent or even close to it 20 years ago. California is just the first state to have one. If other states think it ends up working well in California, I'm sure it will be adopted by more of them.

And that is not at all what I meant by intent. I was talking about the intent of the law, not the intent of people posting videos of naked people. The intent of the law is to punish people who post porn videos of others in order to get revenge on them. IMO, the intent of the law was not to punish people for sending a video back to the person in said video. However if Washington thought it was sexual assault (I don't think he did), then the law should apply here too, imo. And there are cut and dried cases where you can prove guilt if you have access to comments made by the parties posting the videos.

 

If you think posting porn without the subjects' permission is a freedom of speech issue, I don't know that it's worth discussing with you anymore.

Not at all what I said and I need to clarify that I am not referring to the felony charge of child porn possession he is facing.  It is the "revenge porn" law that I have an issue with.  I certainly don't condone "revenge porn" as it is typically interpreted.  However, I think legality issues involving phones and social media, etc should be decided at the federal level. Otherwise as soon as you cross a state line your guilt status has now changed, meanwhile your cell signal is bouncing off towers in the other state.  How do they enforce that?  How can they prove you were in possession of your phone and not someone else?  And will they subpoena the GPS history of your phone to see what state your phone was in at the time?  What if the recipient was in a state that had no such law?   All this for a disorderly conduct misdemeanor?

 

The first amendment allows for "freedom of speech and expression".  How do people "speak" and "express" themselves nowadays?  For better or for worse it's often thru social media, cell phones, etc.  Therefore I think the these laws should be universal throughout the nation.  That's just the way I feel about it.  If you don't want to discuss it further, that is fine, but please don't make false insinuations.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Not at all what I said and I need to clarify that I am not referring to the felony charge of child porn possession he is facing.  It is the "revenge porn" law that I have an issue with.  I certainly don't condone "revenge porn" as it is typically interpreted.  However, I think legality issues involving phones and social media, etc should be decided at the federal level. Otherwise as soon as you cross a state line your guilt status has now changed, meanwhile your cell signal is bouncing off towers in the other state.  How do they enforce that?  How can they prove you were in possession of your phone and not someone else?  And will they subpoena the GPS history of your phone to see what state your phone was in at the time?  What if the recipient was in a state that had no such law?   All this for a disorderly conduct misdemeanor?

 

The first amendment allows for "freedom of speech and expression".  How do people "speak" and "express" themselves nowadays?  For better or for worse it's often thru social media, cell phones, etc.  Therefore I think the these laws should be universal throughout the nation.  That's just the way I feel about it.  If you don't want to discuss it further, that is fine, but please don't make false insinuations.  

 

 

 

I knew exactly which law you were referring to and I was referring to the same one. It’s my understanding there are a lot of laws that weren’t federal until they built up steam at the state level. California has the right idea here and I’m perfectly fine with someone who does revenge porn in Minnesota being prosecuted for it if they move to California.

 

You’re talking about evidence in cases. You know they still have to prove this stuff right? Mo isn’t in jail. People aren’t convicted just because they’re accused.

 

I still fail to see how revenge porn is a first amendment issue. You keep bringing it up like it’s relevant to the topic.

 

And as a reminder, we were talking about the law in general, not Mo’s case. Revenge porn is a serious issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My mistake on the plea, but you're still wrong on your main point: this is literally a criminal matter.

 

Thanks for pointing out when I'm wrong.  Just to clarify, I said I didn't think this was a case of "obvious criminal activity" and I gave examples of murder, rape, assault, etc.  Are you equating those with what MO is accused of?  It sure sounds like it.   If you are going to call people out, get your facts straight first.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

 

I knew exactly which law you were referring to and I was referring to the same one. It’s my understanding there are a lot of laws that weren’t federal until something they built up steam at the state level. California has the right idea here and I’m perfectly fine with someone who does revenge porn in Minnesota being prosecuted for it if they move to California.

 

I still fail to see how revenge porn is a first amendment issue.

I said laws like this  (that involve social media, cell phones, etc) APPROACH first amendment issues IMO.  Never said "revenge porn" IS a first amendment issue.  What I'm trying to (and apparently failing) convey is that social media related laws are definitely a gray area that bring up all kinds of questions.  Some of which relate to the first amendment.  I think this law and other similar ones will probably need to be addressed by the Supreme Court someday.  

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

I disagree. I think it's totally okay.

 

I personally reject the idea that rules don't define if something is inherently okay or not. 

 

I'm not confusing the two, I know what each is. I just weight them and evaluate them differently than you.

 

People think this is what teams do because........this is what teams do :lol:. I couldn't care less if it's good or not; it's happening and it's true. Overwhelming majority of players for Nebraska, Utah, Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, UMASS, Iowa State and Harvard all smoke weed.

 

 

 

Well, you’re wrong :P You can disagree, think it’s okay and personally reject all the ideas you want. We aren’t dealing with defining if it is inherently okay or not. It is clearly and decidedly not okay because it is against the law and University rules. That fact is not debatable.

 

It is perfectly fine to have the opinion that weed use should be legal and should not be against University or team rules. Heck I might even agree with you on that. But it is just flat out wrong to say it’s okay now simply because it “should” be or because others do it. And the “other players and teams are doing it” will never be any kind of good argument. In fact it’s one of the dumbest things I’ve read in quite some time. Since when does what other people do have any bearing at all on what is good to do? Show me the studies that prove weed use aids sports performance and I might begin to listen.

 

And while you’re at it, please support your claim that the overwhelming majority of players on the teams listed smoke weed. You might smoke weed. I might smoke weed. Heck we both may have seen plenty of NU football players smoke weed (I saw a very high profile player from an early 80’s team doing coke) but that is not the same as claiming an overwhelming majority do it. Really, I’d be interested to see the proof of this.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I said laws like this  (that involve social media, cell phones, etc) APPROACH first amendment issues IMO.  Never said "revenge porn" IS a first amendment issue.  What I'm trying to (and apparently failing) convey is that social media related laws are definitely a gray area that bring up all kinds of questions.  Some of which relate to the first amendment.  I think this law and other similar ones will probably need to be addressed by the Supreme Court someday.  

 

 

Revenge porn isn’t going to be addressed at the federal level before laws exist on the state level, and they should exist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Thanks for pointing out when I'm wrong.  Just to clarify, I said I didn't think this was a case of "obvious criminal activity" and I gave examples of murder, rape, assault, etc.  Are you equating those with what MO is accused of?  It sure sounds like it.   If you are going to call people out, get your facts straight first.  

He's charged with felony possession of child porn along with the misdemeanor revenge porn. Yes, there are worse crimes, but that doesn't make his charges any less obvious or criminal.

 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/04/already-facing-serious-felony-charge-nebraskas-maurice-washington-cited-for-drug-paraphernalia/

Quote

Washington is facing a felony count of possessing a video or photograph of a person under 18 who is engaging in or simulating sexual conduct and a misdemeanor count of posting a video or photograph of a person engaging in or simulating sexual conduct without consent, leading to the person suffering emotional distress.

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

And while you’re at it, please support your claim that the overwhelming majority of players on the teams listed smoke weed. You might smoke weed. I might smoke weed. Heck we both may have seen plenty of NU football players smoke weed (I saw a very high profile player from an early 80’s team doing coke) but that is not the same as claiming an overwhelming majority do it. Really, I’d be interested to see the proof of this.

 

 

I spent 10 seconds on a google so not much time involved but here:

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/11/martellus-bennett-89-percent-nfl-players-smoke-pot/508746002/

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

 

I spent 10 seconds on a google so not much time involved but here:

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/11/martellus-bennett-89-percent-nfl-players-smoke-pot/508746002/

 

Soooo, they got one player to anecdotally hazard a guess at the percentage of NFL players who smoke weed and that’s your proof? :lol: And the premise of that article was NFL players using it as an alternative for pain management. That actually makes good sense for NFL players and anyone who is managing pain. Does Mo have lingering pain issues? I mean that one hit he took last year did look pretty nasty :P

 

Look, I’m really not disagreeing with your position on weed. Hell I take CBD oil and occasionally marijuana edibles for health reasons, and I’ve been known to puff the magic dragon for purely recreational purposes (it’s legal where I live, unlike Lincoln Nebraska) But until the law and rules actually change, what Mo did in this instance was wrong. I’m not saying kick him off the team or that it is some huge character flaw. I’m just saying it was stupid and not team oriented behavior.

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For more info, Bleacher Report interviewed 12 former pro athletes and 8 of them said they smoked weed regularly while playing. 

 

Eben Britton estimates at least 50% and up to 75% of NFL players smoke weed. An anonymous sports agent in the same article guessed 80%.

 

Ricky Williams thinks at least 70% in the early 2000s smoked.

 

The NCAA did a research study that said at least 25% did, although I couldn't find their research methodology.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, what the research does or doesn't say is, at this point, irrelevant to the matter at hand. As are personal opinions about marijuana.

 

The university outlaws what Mo did. The state does not have legalized marijuana. I think we've all done things that were illegal and didn't get caught, but if one does get caught, making indirect or direct excuses for it is lame. It sort of is what it is until the law says otherwise.

  • Plus1 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

For more info, Bleacher Report interviewed 12 former pro athletes and 8 of them said they smoked weed regularly while playing. 

 

Eben Britton estimates at least 50% and up to 75% of NFL players smoke weed. An anonymous sports agent in the same article guessed 80%.

 

Ricky Williams thinks at least 70% in the early 2000s smoked.

 

The NCAA did a research study that said at least 25% did, although I couldn't find their research methodology.

 

 

But what about the "overwhelming majority" of players from Nebraska or Utah or any of the other handful of teams you stated smoke weed as a fact? Don't worry about Bama, I'll spot ya that one :lol: Also a little unsure what Harvard or UMass has to do with football so don't worry about them either.  If it was just a brain fart of hyperbole or complete lack of actual verifiable information, it's okay to say so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

 

Soooo, they got one player to anecdotally hazard a guess at the percentage of NFL players who smoke weed and that’s your proof? :lol: And the premise of that article was NFL players using it as an alternative for pain management. That actually makes good sense for NFL players and anyone who is managing pain. Does Mo have lingering pain issues? I mean that one hit he took last year did look pretty nasty :P

 

Look, I’m really not disagreeing with your position on weed. Hell I take CBD oil and occasionally marijuana edibles for health reasons, and I’ve been known to puff the magic dragon for purely recreational purposes (it’s legal where I live, unlike Lincoln Nebraska) But until the law and rules actually change, what Mo did in this instance was wrong. I’m not saying kick him off the team or that it is some huge character flaw. I’m just saying it was stupid and not team oriented behavior.

I don’t know if Mo is suffering from injuries or pain right now, but I’m sure he’s pretty nervous about a certain legal situation that is still outstanding in CA. I am sure he is using pot to cope with that fear and anxiety and just wanted to chill in the evening of his citation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO, what the research does or doesn't say is, at this point, irrelevant to the matter at hand. As are personal opinions about marijuana.

 

The university outlaws what Mo did. The state does not have legalized marijuana. I think we've all done things that were illegal and didn't get caught, but if one does get caught, making indirect or direct excuses for it is lame. It sort of is what it is until the law says otherwise.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a law makes no sense I follow it no matter what. I have no ability to decipher morality outside of what the government tells me is right and wrong and will judge others as such.   

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

But what about the "overwhelming majority" of players from Nebraska or Utah or any of the other handful of teams you stated smoke weed as a fact? Don't worry about Bama, I'll spot ya that one :lol: Also a little unsure what Harvard or UMass has to do with football so don't worry about them either.  If it was just a brain fart of hyperbole or complete lack of actual verifiable information, it's okay to say so.

 

 

Sometimes you just know something you can't prove, and lots of other people know it too. Don't really care if you believe it or not, but it's pretty obvious and common knowledge to me and many others that athletes generally smoke weed. When I was in college I only knew four out of 50+ athletes that didn't.

 

BTW did you know that UMASS and Harvard have football teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RedSavage said:

You mean like ordering a pizza with someone's credit card?

Well, that did happen. I am hearing something within the last few days. I don't want to get into much more detail than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

 

 

Sometimes you just know something you can't prove, and lots of other people know it too. Don't really care if you believe it or not, but it's pretty obvious and common knowledge to me and many others that athletes generally smoke weed. When I was in college I only knew four out of 50+ athletes that didn't.

 

BTW did you know that UMASS and Harvard have football teams?

Yeah, I know they have football teams. It was an attempt at humor.

 

And BTW, when you were in college, our football team absolutely sucked. When I was in college they were finishing top 10 in the country and regularly in the Natty picture and only about 4 of 50+ athletes that I knew did smoke weed. Obviously this means all kinds of things about smoking weed and the impact it has on sports performance and is an unquestionable data point for exactly how many players smoke weed at every D1 school in the country. You might not believe it but you should because I said so and many others agree with me.

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is some that is missing the point. Sure it's a minor offense, but MO already has a dark cloud hanging over his head. The kid is only a sophomore and it's already the second time he has found himself in trouble. Granted 19 yr old kids make stupid decisions, but this wasn't just dumb but selfish as well. He wasn't thinking about the team and I'm sure that's not the culture Frost is trying to bring back to Lincoln. Regardless of your stance on pot, he broke team rules and should face consequences. Because what's the point of having team rules if kids don't feel like they will be held accountable for breaking them? Now whether that's running more stadium steps, game suspension, or in MO's case getting booted off the team, that's the coaches and the Univerity's decision. But I'm sure they're thinking of what is better long term for the program. Frost keeps talking about how we need more leadership and thats probably why he doesn't feel like we're ready for a unity council yet. I miss the days where if a kid did something stupid they were more afraid of dealing with the team and guys like the Peter brothers and Barret Ruud then they were of Tom Osborne.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would make sense for athletes to smoke pot instead of drink alcohol, since alcohol slows down muscle growth. And no, I’m not saying that I think a lot of them do it *instead* of drinking. I’m sure most do both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

You and me must gave grown up in quite different areas.  In grew up in the Nebraska Sandhills.  There was some keg parties, but no weed.  Weed was not OK.  Like Merle said, " WE DON'T SMOKE MARIJUANA".  It's not that hard.  There's a lot of us former Sandhill kids who are shocked at how accepted it is even by the police.  Just sayin.  I am not justifying alcohol either.  It is really bad for some folks.  Weed though changes personalities, even when you are not high.  I have seen it.   I don't think it has a place at all in our top notch athletic dorms.  I don't think you can be your best if you are getting high regularly.  

Wait, so alcohol cant change behaviors?  I laugh how 60% of the people in the state have huge double standards when it comes to alcohol and weed.  "Weed can change behavior" well, people who are alcoholics change their behavior.  Even when they get sober their behavior changes.  "You cant be at your best even you get high regularly" well, a few NBA players said peers are high when they play and NFL players get high all the time.  But if a player gets a MIP then it's no big deal but God forbid its weed.  Double standard is ridiculous.  

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Vegas said:

I think there is some that is missing the point. Sure it's a minor offense, but MO already has a dark cloud hanging over his head. The kid is only a sophomore and it's already the second time he has found himself in trouble. Granted 19 yr old kids make stupid decisions, but this wasn't just dumb but selfish as well. He wasn't thinking about the team and I'm sure that's not the culture Frost is trying to bring back to Lincoln. Regardless of your stance on pot, he broke team rules and should face consequences. Because what's the point of having team rules if kids don't feel like they will be held accountable for breaking them? Now whether that's running more stadium steps, game suspension, or in MO's case getting booted off the team, that's the coaches and the Univerity's decision. But I'm sure they're thinking of what is better long term for the program. Frost keeps talking about how we need more leadership and thats probably why he doesn't feel like we're ready for a unity council yet. I miss the days where if a kid did something stupid they were more afraid of dealing with the team and guys like the Peter brothers and Barret Ruud then they were of Tom Osborne.

I know this is a popular thing to say/think but people really need to understand what this means.  

 

The idea that players will be out a party (or bar or dorm room) and some booze is being passed around or a joint is being passed around and it gets to the player and he shakes his head and goes "Nope, none for me...I have to think about the team first" is really not realistic.  

 

The "culture" is about winning and lifting and being a badass.  It is about being on time and paying attention...it is about playing through pain...it is about showing up to extra team stuff, lifting, running plays, going out to eat.  

 

Don't get me wrong, every coach in America at all levels wants their players to be in bed by 9pm each night, never miss class, call everyone "Sir and Ma'am" and never drink or smoke or speed or roll through a stop sign...but they are also realistic.  

  • Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

If a law makes no sense I follow it no matter what. I have no ability to decipher morality outside of what the government tells me is right and wrong and will judge others as such.   

 

Well, that approach should keep you out of jail and legal trouble and prevent you from getting kicked off any sports teams. :thumbs 

 

This is the problem with this discussion. Some are talking about what is legal. Some are talking about what is moral. Others are talking about what should be the law while others are talking about how things really are.

 

Is it a good plan to not follow laws because you've determined they make no sense and therefore have chosen to act how you desire?

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Is it a good plan to not follow laws because you've determined they make no sense and therefore have chosen to act how you desire?

 

 

I think he was just pushing back on the idea that it's right to follow all laws no matter their morality, when it's not. My head jumped to this too, although not in support of the argument that what Washington did was fine - my argument on weed and athletes has always been that they know the rules and laws, and they should follow them until they're not rules or laws anymore. But I was thinking about laws under oppressive governments. People shouldn't follow laws blindly if the laws are morally wrong. But it doesn't apply here because it's not morally wrong for pot to be illegal (except, imo, when someone has an illness that it helps treat). There's no big moral conundrum here. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

I think he was just pushing back on the idea that it's right to follow all laws no matter their morality, when it's not. My head jumped to this too, although not in support of the argument that what Washington did was fine - my argument on weed and athletes has always been that they know the rules and laws, and they should follow them until they're not rules or laws anymore. But I was thinking about laws under oppressive governments. People shouldn't follow laws blindly if the laws are morally wrong. But it doesn't apply here because it's not morally wrong for pot to be illegal (except, imo, when someone has an illness that it helps treat). There's no big moral conundrum here. 

The war on drugs was designed to throw people of color in prison and african americans are arrested at 4 times the rate as white folks for weed so I disagree there is no big moral conundrum

 

Edit: if you go back further, cannabis was only made illegal due to lobbying from the paper industry because William Randolph Hurst knew hemp paper would destroy his paper mill business using pines. So they proceeded on a smear campaign associating cannabis with mexicans by calling it marijuana. Now if you smoke it youll go crazy and rape people. Sound familiar? Cannabis prohibition has been completely immoral from the start.

 

 

Parts of this conversation probably needs to be moved to P&R.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The war on drugs was designed to throw people of color in prison and african americans are arrested at 4 times the rate as white folks for weed so I disagree there is no big moral conundrum

 

Edit: if you go back further, cannabis was only made illegal due to lobbying from the paper industry because William Randolph Hurst knew hemp paper would destroy his paper mill business using pines. So they proceeded on a smear campaign associating cannabis with mexicans by calling it marijuana. Now if you smoke it youll go crazy and rape people. Sound familiar? Cannabis prohibition has been completely immoral from the start.

 

 

Parts of this conversation probably needs to be moved to P&R.

 

 

I’m aware of all that and think it should be legal everywhere for people 21 and up. 

 

But it isn’t a moral conundrum as far as deciding whether to smoke pot and break the law or not. Not smoking pot does not require someone to do something immoral.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

I’m aware of all that and think it should be legal everywhere for people 21 and up. 

 

But it isn’t a moral conundrum as far as deciding whether to smoke pot and break the law or not. Not smoking pot does not require someone to do something immoral.

Yes but you said its not morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal. I disagree. I think its important everyone know this law wasn't put in place for moralities sake or for the health and saftey of the american people. The laws are how they are because people were greedy and racist.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The war on drugs was designed to throw people of color in prison and african americans are arrested at 4 times the rate as white folks for weed so I disagree there is no big moral conundrum

 

Edit: if you go back further, cannabis was only made illegal due to lobbying from the paper industry because William Randolph Hurst knew hemp paper would destroy his paper mill business using pines. So they proceeded on a smear campaign associating cannabis with mexicans by calling it marijuana. Now if you smoke it youll go crazy and rape people. Sound familiar? Cannabis prohibition has been completely immoral from the start.

 

 

Parts of this conversation probably needs to be moved to P&R.

 

Without diving too much into the P&R portion of this discussion, the history and legality of drugs has always been fascinating to me. I studied it in college and wish I could remember more of the particular details. So much of why certain drugs are criminalized and others are not has to do with economics and racism/xenophobia, and very little to do with health or morality (aside from the immorality of how these legal decisions are made). 

 

I doubt that was what was on Mo's mind when he was puffing away, though.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ulty said:

 

Without diving too much into the P&R portion of this discussion, the history and legality of drugs has always been fascinating to me. I studied it in college and wish I could remember more of the particular details. So much of why certain drugs are criminalized and others are not has to do with economics and racism/xenophobia, and very little to do with health or morality (aside from the immorality of how these legal decisions are made). 

 

I doubt that was what was on Mo's mind when he was puffing away, though.

Of course Maurice Washington was probably thinking of none of this at any time during this episode.

 

 It is interesting though because I think we could benefit greatly from looking at these things from the actual standpoint of health and safety rather than all of the political motivations but that is a conversation for another place and time.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I know this is a popular thing to say/think but people really need to understand what this means.  

 

The idea that players will be out a party (or bar or dorm room) and some booze is being passed around or a joint is being passed around and it gets to the player and he shakes his head and goes "Nope, none for me...I have to think about the team first" is really not realistic.  

 

The "culture" is about winning and lifting and being a badass.  It is about being on time and paying attention...it is about playing through pain...it is about showing up to extra team stuff, lifting, running plays, going out to eat.  

 

Don't get me wrong, every coach in America at all levels wants their players to be in bed by 9pm each night, never miss class, call everyone "Sir and Ma'am" and never drink or smoke or speed or roll through a stop sign...but they are also realistic.  

Exactly. Does anyone think the Peters brothers were angels. Come On. I think they probably drank their fair share of beer, did things they were not supposed to. Wasn't it one of the Peters brothers who was accused of assaulting some young girl. Or tried to and people held him back. Maybe that was just rumors.

 

Yes the team had good leadership and held each other accountable. But some have this dream of this good ole boy team we used to have and its not reality. 

 

For the record, I strongly believe in leadership, guidance, accountability and punishment that fits the crime. It just gets old with making a mountain out of a mole hill and trying to compare things to a standard of thinking we were choir boys in the old days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes but you said its not morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal. I disagree. I think its important everyone know this law wasn't put in place for moralities sake or for the health and saftey of the american people. The laws are how they are because people were greedy and racist.

 

 

It isn’t morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal for recreational purposes, even though the original reason for it being illegal was racist. It is merely stupid for it to be illegal.

 

A law could have an infinite number of reasons why its existence is a good, moral idea or at the very least amoral. The impetous for a law becoming a law being immoral doesn’t make the law itself immoral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Exactly. Does anyone think the Peters brothers were angels. Come On. I think they probably drank their fair share of beer, did things they were not supposed to. Wasn't it one of the Peters brothers who was accused of assaulting some young girl. Or tried to and people held him back. Maybe that was just rumors.

 

Yes the team had good leadership and held each other accountable. But some have this dream of this good ole boy team we used to have and its not reality. 

 

For the record, I strongly believe in leadership, guidance, accountability and punishment that fits the crime. It just gets old with making a mountain out of a mole hill and trying to compare things to a standard of thinking we were choir boys in the old days. 

Yep!

 

Plus, they get crucified for the same s#!t most of us did.

 

I drank or had booze in my dorm freshman year as often as I could.  It was also always around in my frat house and I don't remember checking ID's when we had parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yep!

 

Plus, they get crucified for the same s#!t most of us did.

 

I drank or had booze in my dorm freshman year as often as I could.  It was also always around in my frat house and I don't remember checking ID's when we had parties.

Did you do those things while awaiting trial? And while holding a sports scholarship? Let's not pretend like this is happening in a vacuum and Mo's situation is like every other students'.

  • Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

It isn’t morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal for recreational purposes, even though the original reason for it being illegal was racist. It is merely stupid for it to be illegal.

 

A law could have an infinite number of reasons why its existence is a good, moral idea or at the very least amoral. The impetous for a law becoming a law being immoral doesn’t make the law itself immoral.

In another part of the board I would debate you on this but here I'll just agree to disagree. That said Mo should probably have been more situationally aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

It isn’t morally wrong for cannabis to be illegal for recreational purposes, even though the original reason for it being illegal was racist. It is merely stupid for it to be illegal.

 

A law could have an infinite number of reasons why its existence is a good, moral idea or at the very least amoral. The impetous for a law becoming a law being immoral doesn’t make the law itself immoral.

 

It's morally wrong to imprison people for doing something innocuous, period. No other way around that really. They are taking away people's lives and destroying families for no good reason. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Did you do those things while awaiting trial? And while holding a sports scholarship? Let's not pretend like this is happening in a vacuum and Mo's situation is like every other students'.

I totally get what you are saying and it makes sense but I don't think it means it is fair.  This SHOULD be in a vacuum, about 5 people should know about this, tops.

 

Lets not pretend that his name should be plastered all over social media and posting sites because he has a sports scholarship. 

 

Maybe you have kids, I don't know...But if you do I can guarantee you would not want all this on them...no matter what they did.

 

This s#!t should not be public, it is foolish that it is and frankly it is disgusting that it is public and clearly is not fair.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know this is a popular thing to say/think but people really need to understand what this means.  

 

The idea that players will be out a party (or bar or dorm room) and some booze is being passed around or a joint is being passed around and it gets to the player and he shakes his head and goes "Nope, none for me...I have to think about the team first" is really not realistic.  

 

The "culture" is about winning and lifting and being a badass.  It is about being on time and paying attention...it is about playing through pain...it is about showing up to extra team stuff, lifting, running plays, going out to eat.  

 

Don't get me wrong, every coach in America at all levels wants their players to be in bed by 9pm each night, never miss class, call everyone "Sir and Ma'am" and never drink or smoke or speed or roll through a stop sign...but they are also realistic.  

The culture isn't solely based on lifting and being a bad a$$, but doing the right things as well and developing young men into becoming adults. I know some have mentioned this offense is the same as being pulled over for a trafic violation. I disagree, being pulled over for doing 10 over the speed limit is completely different then using an illegal substance. Who cares what California and Colrado does? Rules are rules and laws are laws whether you agree with them or not. I dont see how this argument is justifiable. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vegas said:

The culture isn't solely based on lifting and being a bad a$$, but doing the right things as well and developing young men into becoming adults. I know some have mentioned this offense is the same as being pulled over for a trafic violation. I disagree, being pulled over for doing 10 over the speed limit is completely different then using an illegal substance. Who cares what California and Colrado does? Rules are rules and laws are laws whether you agree with them or not. I dont see how this argument is justifiable. 

What about going 75 over the speed limit in a school zone?  Which is worse?

 

All these "young men" on team will become adults...no matter what the team rules and team culture is/says.  My guess is that 99% of the guys on the team will "grow up" to be pretty good regular guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What about going 75 over the speed limit in a school zone?  Which is worse?

 

All these "young men" on team will become adults...no matter what the team rules and team culture is/says.  My guess is that 99% of the guys on the team will "grow up" to be pretty good regular guys.

Going 75 over in a school zone is straight up negligence as compared to doing ten over on the interstate. This why the violation is treated differently. And I don't compleatly disagree with you, we have a young team that I'm not quite sure was held accountable under coach Riley and staff.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like majority want Mo off the team (which is stupid) yet never say anything about the 90s teams.  Like the steroids, Osborne hiding a gun in his desk that one of the players used in a shooting, sexual assaults etc.  If Frost keeps Mo on the team (which I hope he does) and we win the big 10 this year or next then all will be forgotten 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×