Mo wash cited for drug paraphernalia

13 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Players can be ineligible for grades, transferring schools, skipping team meetings, missing curfew, etc. None of that has anything to do with guilt or innocence. The "innocent until proven guilty" is only for the justice system - it doesn't even extend to employees being retained or fired.

This is all fine, but doesn't give guidance on what to do with an innocent player who's been falsely accused, or a player who is found guilty/pleads to a lesser charge (say, a misdemeanor).

What do you do with that player prior to the verdict?

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is all fine, but doesn't give guidance on what to do with an innocent player who's been falsely accused, or a player who is found guilty/pleads to a lesser charge (say, a misdemeanor).

Nothing.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

So....a Miami Hurricane player is arrested for murder right before the season based on pretty dang damning evidence.  You have no problem with the program still playing that player all season because the case hasn't been tried yet.

Miami player?

If a Miami player was given a ticket for jaywalking I would want him kicked out of school and the program shut down for 10 years.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I wasn't giving any guidance on how to proceed, just pointing out that eligibility is not tied to legality nor vice versa.

What I'd personally recommend for how to proceed (strictly my own opinion here) is that the coaches and school should determine whether what the player did broke school or team or NCAA rules and determine the punishment, if any, based on the evidence they have. The same as when they determine any other breaking of the rules that doesn't involve the justice system. If the trial or criminal investigation reveal new evidence, then the coaches and/or school can re-evaluate.

Relying on the justice system isn't perfect either because the verdict can only be guilty or not guilty - there are no innocent verdicts. And there are no guarantees the justice system will be correct in their verdict anyway.