CJ Smith Enters Transfer Portal

I really dont understand this. Most of these kids think they are going to start on day 1 and if they dont they just leave. I guess it may force some coaches to change their strategy of promising early playing time- because now the kids will just leave. Its gonna be harder to stockpile talent like Bama has because the kids will just leave.

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I really dont understand this. Most of these kids think they are going to start on day 1 and if they dont they just leave. I guess it may force some coaches to change their strategy of promising early playing time- because now the kids will just leave. Its gonna be harder to stockpile talent like Bama has because the kids will just leave.

To be fair we don't really know why he's leaving, could be unrelated to lack of playing time. And kids transfer out of Bama all the time, if they don't perform they are encouraged to move on and replaced with more elite talent. In our situation we obviously can't afford to lose as much talent, but kids transfer from every school - the powerhouses are just able to continuously bring in more.

Also from what I've read the coaches do not promise playing time to anyone. They offer the opportunity for early playing time, but they don't promise anything more than a good opportunity to win a job.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, lo country said:

I'm not seeing the sarcasm emoji, so I've got to publicly hit the eye roll!  Hoping it's sarcasm.

10 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I’m not sure if this is sarcasm or not. I know this was a big criticism for previous coaches but with the recent transfer rules there’s really only so much you can do.

;)

10 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I know this was a big criticism for previous coaches but with the recent transfer rules there’s really only so much you can do.

The transfer rules haven't really changed.  The portal has been added and they seem to be more lenient with waivers but the base rules are basically what they have been.

As you said this type of situation has been a criticism of previous coaches.  I was wondering if that stayed the same or it changes when we like the coach better.

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Three of the top eight highest-rated recruits from the 2018 class are no longer on the team.  Washington would be the fourth (not that I necessarily think he's gone).

Frost is obviously terrible at roster management and his recruiting classes really aren't as good as they looked like they would be.

Let me help others out here.

Mavric is being sarcastic.

Transfers happen. Not concerned in the slightest.

CJ isnt bad. This doesnt help depth but I would assume he saw the writing on the walls and he wants to play. I can dig it. Go get it CJ!

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The transfer rules haven't really changed.  The portal has been added and they seem to be more lenient with waivers but the base rules are basically what they have been.

As you said this type of situation has been a criticism of previous coaches.  I was wondering if that stayed the same or it changes when we like the coach better.

Fair enough but the change in leniency has had a drastic change on the number of transfers in every school. Frost probably gets more benefit of the doubt but IMO but offseason transfers would be a problem regardless of who the coach is. The off-season transfer market is just a new part of recruiting.

I’m not worried and the sky is not falling or anything, but I think this type of thing is “good” attrition if CJ is a junior or senior and hasn’t cracked the starting 11. That’s when we want to mutually move him on and get the extra scholarship and let him find somewhere he could play. But as a redshirt FR, it seems like a missed opportunity to develop a top recruit we landed.

Oh well, I wish him the best. I think this could hurt on depth and special teams but I do agree that the writing was potentially on the wall with who we are adding to fall camp.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Fair enough but the change in leniency has had a drastic change on the number of transfers in every school. Frost probably gets more benefit of the doubt but IMO but offseason transfers would be a problem regardless of who the coach is. The off-season transfer market is just a new part of recruiting.

That, and I think it just took a while for players to evaluate the benefit/cost of transferring appropriately. Sitting out a year sounds like a lot, but even if you don't get a waiver losing a year and being at a new school may be better than 4-5 years at your current school. There was (and still is to a degree) a stigma around transferring, but that's going away too.

I was looking forward to a Smith/Jones Safety combo in a few years, but I'll move on to looking forward to a Pola-Gates/Farmer/Newsome one. And to Mavrics point, I absolutely would be more critical of this if it was a different coach - I won't pretend I'm consistent with that.

I'm always a bit torn, part of me is glad when a person heads out because it opens up scholarships to look for kids who may be better.  That said it hurts depth so even a person stuck on the depth chart is better than no one and the bonus scholarship probably wont help till next year.  I think in the past a kid could get comfortable in the program, not work hard, and still enjoy the benefits of being a Husker on Scholarship.  I think the intensity is high enough that getting comfortable probably doesn't come easy now.  FWIW I could be totally wrong, I've never even seen a practice but I get the impression that demands are pretty high on the players. 

• Plus1 1

Some of the things coming from players who have completely bought make me think that anyone not willing to put in the work to make the team better in the off season are made to fairly uncomfortable. I seem to remember Mo Barry calling out Breon Dixon via social media. I hate to loose players but maybe it's a culture thing where the team is policing itself. Or he wanted to be closer to home and effort had nothing to do with it.:dunno

The speed at which Frost and co had to put together the 2018 class and the early signing day doesn't help in all this either. Most of these kids barely got one visit before they were committing and signing. Could be home sickness, writing on the wall, not geling like you thought you would who knows. 

4 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Noa has been working out as a CB, correct?

Looks like it from this thread, but I imagine they'll all move around. Forgot about that when I mentioned guys at Safety, but I'm sure the staff will figure out the best 4-6 players for the secondary and make the positions work as needed.