CJ Smith Enters Transfer Portal

34 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Noa has been working out as a CB, correct?

They started three of the new guys out at corner.  But all three are probably more natural safeties.  Noa has even said he'd rather play safety.

I'm guess they would like to find (at least) one more corner so they're going to try them out and see if they think one of them would work.  But I'm guessing at least two of them will end up back at safety.

Maybe,  just maybe......he see's no playing time with the crop of db's brought in this class.................just sayin...........but it is odd this late..............Frost is updating the roster so fast that players we were very happy with a yr ago are leaving because they see no playing time...........i'm ok with that.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, Mavric said:

As you said this type of situation has been a criticism of previous coaches.  I was wondering if that stayed the same or it changes when we like the coach better.

I am not sure, at least for me, if I am less critical because I like the coach better or because I currently have far more faith in him to fill the vacancy while managing to overall roster with competence.  I am certain that in the past, these would hurt because it was so difficult to get great athletes here in the first place, there was very little chance of development of sub par athletes once here, therefor losing a great athlete and hoping to fill that spot in the future with a sub par athlete that had really worked hard and developed beyond his initial potential was a losing proposition. I am no longer near as concerned w/ either our ability to get great athletes here nor our ability to develop the less than great ones into something better. In that regard, at this point I still have trust that, while losing a CJ Smith is not ideal and may still hurt, the chances of it not killing us are a lot greater under the current regime, which is probably also why I like them more.

2 minutes ago, Danimal said:

With the transfer-portal, the new redshirt rule, and waivers to play immediately becoming common get used to players bolting  in higher numbers.  Just a matter of whether we stay on top of the situation and get better transfers than we lose. 

yes, it is now all about playing time for the recruits.........loyalty and playing for the team are not concepts readily important to the kids now.

I have no problem with the transfer portal i think it makes things simpler for the player and coaches looking for transfers. The thing i have a problem with is that its viewable by the public which gives reporters something to rile up the fans with in the offseason. I think it should only be accessible for players and schools. 

On 6/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, LumberJackSker said:

I have no problem with the transfer portal i think it makes things simpler for the player and coaches looking for transfers. The thing i have a problem with is that its viewable by the public which gives reporters something to rile up the fans with in the offseason. I think it should only be accessible for players and schools.

I don't think it's open to the public, it just leaks so fast it seems like it is. They probably need to restrict the number of people at the schools that can access it, not sure what the current restrictions are but functionally they're a joke. This story from 247 claims a school employee just gave his login details to a media member. I think they should lock it down, as much fun as it is to browse the instantaneous media reports do nothing to help the student-athletes.

• 5 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

360 means he's back where he started...?

Wondering also. A commenter on his tweet asked if he didn't mean 180 degrees, but his use of 360 may have been intentional.
Other supporting comments seem to come from Nebraska supporters, so maybe he's back???

Maybe he couldn't find a landing spot and the staff said he's welcome to stay? I wonder if these kids think the transfer portal is going to be like high school with all sorts of schools recruiting them. I see kids all the time say "reopening my recruitment" which it isn't the same. Unless you're a proven starter most of these teams probably aren't interested in you transferring based off high school accolades alone. 

The day before he tweeted:

While no pain is good, emotional or otherwise (and I hope nothing bad is happening elsewhere in his life) I do hope that doesn't mean he is still dealing with pain from last year's injury. Would love to hear that he is both fully recovered AND returning to the Cornhuskers for the 2019 season.

This brings up another question in my mind, however: I would imagine that NCAA teams (like the NFL) make players pass a physical before accepting their transfer. I wonder if this is (at least part of the reason) he did not land anywhere else? Or perhaps he saw no better opportunities than the ones before him at NU. There was also this story, published 4 days after he decided to transfer: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/depth-and-competition-in-nebraska-s-secondary-has-flipped-the/article_3f8fcfa4-4cfb-5360-9b76-04b5ea0e0b82.html