CJ Smith Enters Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Unlikely. Anything other than speculation to support this?

Nope. Pure (and probably wrong) speculation and observation. But this coaches group has a reputation for being straight-shooters. You'll notice that Nixon did not declare until our higher priority target at his position committed to Notre Dame. You only have so many slots (at each position) and you get to a point where you are waiting for a guy before making the next guy your priority. And an incoming freshman knows his future playing time is going to be partially dependent upon how many guys are in his position room and that he has to beat. The defensive backfield looks like a more attractive landing spot the fewer guys are in that group. Meanwhile, CJ Smith has himself in a precarious predicament. I wouldn't rescue him until it worked in the teams favor, in that scenario. But that's just me... so yes, all speculation.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Nope. Pure (and probably wrong) speculation and observation. But this coaches group has a reputation for being straight-shooters. You'll notice that Nixon did not declare until our higher priority target at his position committed to Notre Dame. You only have so many slots (at each position) and you get to a point where you are waiting for a guy before making the next guy your priority. And an incoming freshman knows his future playing time is going to be partially dependent upon how many guys are in his position room and that he has to beat. The defensive backfield looks like a more attractive landing spot the fewer guys are in that group. Meanwhile, CJ Smith has himself in a precarious predicament. I wouldn't rescue him until it worked in the teams favor, in that scenario. But that's just me... so yes, all speculation.

Nixon committed to the coaches last week and made it public Monday.  This narrative that he was a back up plan needs to get put to rest. The staff likes both and would have taken both.

Although Nebraska on Friday saw three-star Omaha Burke wide receiver Xavier Watts verbally commit to Notre Dame, Nixon said the timing of his announcement to attend NU was unrelated to Watts' decision. 

"I committed to Nebraska early last week, I just didn't announce it (until Monday)," he said.

• Plus1 2
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...