Pass Rush... Who's "The Guy"

Last season we put very little pressure on opposing QBS.

I believe our front three will be much improved, both, technically and physically. I think they will do a solid job of pushing the pocket on passing downs.

HOWEVER, We absolutely NEED an edge rusher to step up from the LB group.

Personally, I feel Ferguson has the aggression and quickness to get around the edge and be an effective and consistent pass rusher; but I want to know how you guys feel.

• Plus1 2

I am hopeful that our D linemen will, as a group, be much stronger and we will actually rotate a bunch so all should be fresh.   I would expect to see more TFL and sacks from the Davis twins, Stille, D Neal, and several of the backups (we are loaded with quite a few and we get so little info it is hard to guess which ones will emerge).  

When we do use a blitz or hard rush from the DE / OLB or even safety / rover type spots, I would venture we see some good play from Ty Robinson, Wildeman, Snodgrass, Heinrich, A Davis, Hannah, Nelson, Domann or even a Javin Wright.

We will show a lot of 3 DTs, 2 DEs and 2 LB looks but I would guess we will actually use more 3-4 techniques and schemes because we can field a much stouter front 3 against most teams.  We will have enough more depth with good size against the more power ful run teams like Wiscy, Mich, etc. so I look for our defense to be the strongest unit of the team, overall, assuming our secondary play holds up to the task and tackles better.  LB play may be a little hit and miss at times with the youth but it should be physically stronger and play faster.

2019 should be a fun season for the Defensive coaches as they will have a lot more experience and guys will be playing with much more confidence and physical toughness. 

I will predict the defense will end up being one of the top three in the Big Ten and top 20 nationally overall.   Our  defense played much better last year than I think most give them credit for and better than their stats would suggest

The key to the season and how successful it turns out to be will come down to improving our offensive 'efficiency' (we need to score about 10 points a game for every 100 yards of total offense) and that will be helped by fewer execution errors by the offensive players AND more importantly, by our defense giving them more possessions in better field position.

Of course, it seems most discussions ignore the third leg of the football team - Special Teams - and I have to believe we will see the most dramatic improvement on the entire team in the areas of kick coverage and kick returns.   I suspected last year that Frost & Co just didn't have enough time in practices to focus on those nearly enough.  Again, the effectiveness of these units will enable the offense to get more scoring opportunities with much better field position when we gain possessions and the defense will get more changes to defend a longer field if we cover better and have fewer crappy punts, etc.      Hopefully, our field goal kicker is called upon much less frequently because we a scoring more TDs and have more confidence in going on 4th downs quite a bit.

Frost has recruited speed over all other things and this bodes well for finding better returners and getting down the field to cover as well.  

On 6/6/2019 at 1:22 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Alex Davis 

He has to, because he hasn’t shown the ability to do anything else. 

He showed an aptitude there in the spring that gives me great hope. Some of that I feel is because I don’t think we have really very good tackles vs athletic edge guys, but I liked a lot of his technique. One of the things these lighter rushers struggle against, and something that was a huge problem last year, is getting sucked into the blocker. Once that happens, you’re giving up 80-100 pounds and that’s a losing battle. These big tackles these days have a lot of range, but poor quickness and they can easily get out leveraged. So technique, maintaining the right distance and using your hands well, is vitally important from this position. Across the board, that part was better, but Davis stood out this spring.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, LumberJackSker said:

Tannor is probably the best bet but I don't think anyone is going to be close to double digit sacks. 

I think we will, for a few reasons:

Better play in the middle of the line, with fewer guys asked to play out of position.

More ability to play man coverage.

Ben Stille will have a big year.

Stille may or may not be the guy that gets 10 sacks, but he’s the wildcard up front. He can rush from the interior, but still drop into coverage to bring all sorts of exotic blitzes. He’s the one guy that can be very effective up and down the line. He’s a very unique player that can give you looks out of many fronts. I think Tuioti will have a major impact on him.

54 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think we will, for a few reasons:

Better play in the middle of the line, with fewer guys asked to play out of position.

More ability to play man coverage.

Ben Stille will have a big year.

Stille may or may not be the guy that gets 10 sacks, but he’s the wildcard up front. He can rush from the interior, but still drop into coverage to bring all sorts of exotic blitzes. He’s the one guy that can be very effective up and down the line. He’s a very unique player that can give you looks out of many fronts. I think Tuioti will have a major impact on him.

I hear you but i disagree. The Davis twins are decent but out of position. Ferguson and domman aren't big enough to beat tackles and i think its a safe bet that alex davis is never going to be a pass rusher.

I think Nebraska's defensive problems will be fixed after a few top recruiting classes with guys that are actually meant to play in this system.