Milto vs Martinez Year 2 Improvement

1 hour ago, FrankWheeler said:

Here's a 2017 preview for UCF, I think you are overestimating what they had going into the season.  

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/4/25/15400678/central-florida-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

That was my point, all UCF year two starters played in year one. We may have a couple true freshman starters. If Mo is gone, and JD bangs his head, we may have 3 or 4 skill players starting that don't even shave.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Milton and the UCF offense showed a major improvement between year 1 and 2, but IMO much of the credit also goes to RBs, receivers & OL who understood the system much better and gave Frost more play calling options. This makes me think the improvement will be less at Nebraska. JD Speilman, Mo and Warner are the only experienced skill players returning, and if bad luck happens we may not have Mo, and JD could be hindered by concussions. Throw in a new center, and this offense does not have the same level of experience with Frost's offense as the UCF team did in year two.

Here are comments about the 2017 UCF depth chart before their first game:

Of note on the depth chart:

• There are 15 upperclassmen listed on the defensive two-deep, including five of six on the defensive line.
  • The Knights list 15 total freshmen on the depth chart, including 10 true freshmen.
    • Seven of 10 true freshmen are on the offense and four are wide receivers.

OFFENSE

• After setting a UCF freshman record for completions in 2016, McKenzie Milton returns to lead a young group of quarterbacks.
    • Freshmen Noah Vedral and Darriel Mack, Jr. are both listed as the backup.
  • A pair of sophomores are on the depth chart at running back with last year's leading rusher Jawon Hamilton and big play threat Adrian Killins, Jr.
    • Junior Taj McGowan is also in the mix after rushing for 4.5 yards per rush last season
  • At tight end it is a trio of seniors on the depth chart as Jordan Akins, Jordan Franks and Michael Colubiale lead the way.
  • Tre'Quan Smith UCF with 853 receiving yards and five touchdowns in 2016 and is back to lead a young group of wide receivers for the Knights in 2017.
    • Four true freshmen join Smith, junior Cam Stewart and sophomore Dredrick Snelson as the seven receivers listed on the depth chart
    • Freshmen Gabriel Davis, Emmanuel Logan-Greene, Marlon Williams and Otis Anderson will all look to see time on the field in their first season in Black and Gold.
  • Veteran starters at tackle Aaron Evans and Wyatt Miller will look to lead the offensive line again this season.
    • Upperclassmen Tyler Hudanick and Chavis Dickey are also atop the depth chart at guard, while sophomore Jordan Johnson moves to center for 2017.

Although their situation may have been slightly better than what Nebraska is returning, it doesn't seem too far off.  Thin at WR experience with 4 true freshman making up the top seven wide receivers.  Two starting tackles returning on the offensive line.  A sophomore moved to the center position in 2017 starting.  2nd year starter at qb.  RB seems like the only spot where they had slightly more experience returning.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

My original post was not about talent or how good we will be this year. There was a lot of talk about how much Milton improver from yesterday one to year two. My guess is that much of the improvement was because it was year two for most of the offence at UCF. If we lose Mo, we could have a true freshman starting RB, it look like we will have a freshman center, and we may have a couple true freshman WRs get substantial playing time. If this is year one in the offence for several players, Frost cannot use the entire playbook, and there will be mental breakdowns. I just do not expect Nebraska's improvement from year one to year two to be as dramatic as it was at UCF. 

There is a lot of truth to what you have stated in this thread - however it is equal to or out weighted by the fact that this staff has had 4ish years together and they have become much more efficient at running this ship.  Either way, it's going to be fun to watch it play out....

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

There is a lot of truth to what you have stated in this thread - however it is equal to or out weighted by the fact that this staff has had 4ish years together and they have become much more efficient at running this ship.  Either way, it's going to be fun to watch it play out....

You speak the truth. The last couple of years with Bo an and every year with MR, there was a lack optimism and expectations. We have found the perfect coach. Even 4-8 was fun.

10 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

My original post was not about talent or how good we will be this year. There was a lot of talk about how much Milton improver from yesterday one to year two.

My answer is “I don’t know” and the reason for that is this scenario never happens. For a guy in the same offense with the same high volume to improve this much, essentially doubling or better in raw and efficiency stats, just doesn’t happen. 

If one is looking for optimism in regards to this question, I’d look at Milton year 2 vs year 3. Yes, his stats fell, but only Oklahoma’s recent run can compare to Frost/Oregon. (Those two offenses combine for the last 5 national leaders in Adjusted Yards per Attempt). Even though he was in a different offense, he still put up very good numbers, again far surpassing his freshman stats. That shows it wasn’t just coincidence or a lucky year, but real development. 

11 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I just do not expect Nebraska's improvement from year one to year two to be as dramatic as it was at UCF. 

I don’t either, but that’s because we don’t have nearly as far to go as they did. Take away four games, Michigan and the three where Martinez and Spielman weren’t both present, and that offense only failed to break 500 yards three times...one of which was because we pulled the starters at halftime. UCF broke 500 yards only once in 2016...501 against FIU (Nebraska broke 600 twice). 

If we made the kind of turnaround they did, not only are we undefeated but our backup wins the Heisman.

4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

You speak the truth. The last couple of years with Bo an and every year with MR, there was a lack optimism and expectations. We have found the perfect coach. Even 4-8 was fun.

Last year was a lot of interesting things but for me it was not 'fun' to go 4-8 and I don't think Scott Frlost is going to remain our coach indefinately going 4-8.   I hope we have a winning season for everyone's sakes because another 4-8 is going to let the majority of the air out of the Scott Frost balloons in a hurry.  None of of us want that certainly.   In that sense, this is perhaps going to be one of the most important (make or break) years in NU history.   The pressure is quietly building like in a pressure cooker and we're either going to have a great steam cooked meal or a massive hole in the kitchen ceiling if the lid blows off.  I don't think it will be fair to put all this pressure on Adrian Martinez as if he's the one-man show although with the loss of Ozigbo and Morgan and potentially the loss of Washington and another blow to JD's head God forbid, this may be the case!   He just needs to manage the offense and be a leader of consistancy and confidnece.   He needs to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and let them do the work - assuming we have enough playmakers who actually make the plays.   

UCF in 2016: 28.8 ppg

UCF in 2017: 48.2 ppg

Huskers in 2018: 30

I just can't see the Huskers improving by 19 to 20 points per game with a new center, possibly all new RBs, and only Warner and JD back at receiver. And now Robinson is busted for weed :bang

I expect improvement, but it is tough to say how much. I am hoping the strength and conditioning makes a major impact. I would be thrill with 40 ppg in 2019.

11 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

UCF in 2016: 28.8 ppg

UCF in 2017: 48.2 ppg

Huskers in 2018: 30

I just can't see the Huskers improving by 19 to 20 points per game with a new center, possibly all new RBs, and only Warner and JD back at receiver. And now Robinson is busted for weed :bang

I expect improvement, but it is tough to say how much. I am hoping the strength and conditioning makes a major impact. I would be thrill with 40 ppg in 2019.

And? He will be available in every game this upcoming season unless he gets in trouble again which I highly doubt.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:14 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Last year was a lot of interesting things but for me it was not 'fun' to go 4-8 and I don't think Scott Frlost is going to remain our coach indefinately going 4-8.   I hope we have a winning season for everyone's sakes because another 4-8 is going to let the majority of the air out of the Scott Frost balloons in a hurry.  None of of us want that certainly.   In that sense, this is perhaps going to be one of the most important (make or break) years in NU history.   The pressure is quietly building like in a pressure cooker and we're either going to have a great steam cooked meal or a massive hole in the kitchen ceiling if the lid blows off.  I don't think it will be fair to put all this pressure on Adrian Martinez as if he's the one-man show although with the loss of Ozigbo and Morgan and potentially the loss of Washington and another blow to JD's head God forbid, this may be the case!   He just needs to manage the offense and be a leader of consistancy and confidnece.   He needs to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and let them do the work - assuming we have enough playmakers who actually make the plays.   

Yeah, no one enjoys a losing record, but last year was fun to watch once you put aside expectations for double-digit wins.  First year was tricky, but I wouldn’t say there was any pressure, at least not yet.  And, you saw them (or I did, at least) get better and better each week as the light bulbs started to come on.  So, relax a bit and enjoy the steady improvements we started to see last year, and realize it’s a process.  And, take 2 minutes to listen to ol’ Phil Steele, who has us predicted as most improved team.

• Plus1 2