Happy Anniversary, Nebraska!

It'll be a few years until any movement happens. The Big XII's grant of rights runs through 2025, so no schools are jumping ship until then (unless the entire conference dissolves, which seems unlikely because ISU, KSU, Baylor and Texas Tech would be left to join C-USA or the AAC).

But who knows. The PAC-12's GOR expires in 2023, so maybe Texas tries once again to join them and figures out a way to bust up the Big XII.  The GOR won't exist if the conference doesn't exist.

@knapplc What's supposed to be the thing to watch is that Oklahoma's third-tier media rights expire in 2022, and a new post-2022 deal is supposed to be announced next year. Supposedly Fox Sports is going in hard on that deal to help ease OU's path into the Big Ten and BTN. Supposedly.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd wager both would be added to the B1G West, and Indiana would slide over to the B1G East, and the divisions would be (more) balanced IMO.

Should the B1G pull the trigger on this. 

I think you mean Purdue slides East.

I like Pods better.

NU

OU

Kansas

Iowa

Wiscy

Minn

NW

Illini

MSU

Mich

OSU

Purdue

PSU

Maryland

Rutgers

Indiana

Indiana/Purdue play a Non conference game every other year to keep the rivalry.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, nic said:

I like Pods better.

NU

OU

Kansas

Iowa

Wiscy

Minn

NW

Illini

MSU

Mich

OSU

Purdue

PSU

Maryland

Rutgers

Indiana

Better to split Michigan and OSU up and have them play every year. It's better geographically and isn't as lopsided.

MSU
Michigan

Indiana
Purdue

PSU
Ohio State
Maryland

Rutgers

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Toe said:

Are you a Penn State fan or something?

Nope. Michigan then Nebraska.

Pods are are meant to try and keep rivals playing every year and be geographically close. Indiana and Purdue always get screwed however.  PSU didn’t get great rivals in that pod. Not sure who their Big Ten rival is after all these years. 

47 minutes ago, nic said:

Nope. Michigan then Nebraska.

Pods are are meant to try and keep rivals playing every year and be geographically close. Indiana and Purdue always get screwed however.  PSU didn’t get great rivals in that pod. Not sure who their Big Ten rival is after all these years. 

Penn State doesn’t need to get manufactured rivals anymore than Nebraska does. And I’m not sure how putting Indiana in their pod is going to help with that. They would be kings of their pod year in and year out if they get Rutgers Maryland and Indiana. No way are Michigan and OSU gonna want to be in a pod that has 3 top tier teams while PSU has 3 bottom feeders.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Penn State doesn’t need to get manufactured rivals anymore than Nebraska does.

I was OK with having Penn State as an annual cross-division matchup, as brief as that was...

16 hours ago, nic said:

I like Pods better.

NU - OU -Kansas - Iowa

Wiscy - Minn - NW - Illini

MSU - Mich - OSU - Purdue

PSU - Maryland - Rutgers - Indiana

Pods is definitely the way to go.  Here's what I came up with awhile ago when the talk was of adding Oklahoma and Texas.  It would have to be tweaked a bit if it was OU and Kansas to balance the pods a bit.  So I'd go something like this:

• Four 4-team Pods
  • Play your Pod every year (those three teams home-and-home every two years)
  • Play one other Pod every year (every other team every three years, home-and-home every six years)
  • "Protected" games each year to preserve rivalries while balancing pods
  • The team with the best record within each year's paired Pods goes to the CCG

At first I wanted to play half of a third Pod each year instead of the protected games (so you would play every team at least every-other year) but I think it would be too hard to keep all the rivalries so there would be too much push-back.  I'd have to dig a little deeper to see if you could get that to work within the Pods.

East Pod: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

North Pod: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois

Central Pod: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana

West Pod: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas

Protected - Scheduled in years where the Pods weren't already playing each other (red=always, black=if possible, trophy game not preserved)

Illinois - Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State

Indiana - Michigan State

Iowa - Minnesota

Kansas - 

Maryland - 

Michigan - Ohio State

Michigan State - Indiana, Penn State, Rutgers

Minnesota - Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska

Nebraska - Minnesota

Northwestern - Illinois

Ohio State - Michigan, Illinois

Oklahoma - 

Penn State - Michigan State, Minnesota

Purdue - Illinois

Rutgers - Michigan State

Wisconsin - Minnesota

Trophy Games not guaranteed - Illinois/Ohio State, Minnesota/Penn State, Nebraska/Minnesota, Michigan State/Rutgers

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Pods is definitely the way to go.  Here's what I came up with awhile ago when the talk was of adding Oklahoma and Texas.  It would have to be tweaked a bit if it was OU and Kansas to balance the pods a bit.  So I'd go something like this:

• Four 4-team Pods
  • Play your Pod every year (those three teams home-and-home every two years)
  • Play one other Pod every year (every other team every three years, home-and-home every six years)
  • "Protected" games each year to preserve rivalries while balancing pods
  • The team with the best record within each year's paired Pods goes to the CCG

At first I wanted to play half of a third Pod each year instead of the protected games (so you would play every team at least every-other year) but I think it would be too hard to keep all the rivalries so there would be too much push-back.  I'd have to dig a little deeper to see if you could get that to work within the Pods.

East Pod: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

North Pod: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois

Central Pod: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana

West Pod: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas

Protected - Scheduled in years where the Pods weren't already playing each other (red=always, black=if possible, trophy game not preserved)

Illinois - Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State

Indiana - Michigan State

Iowa - Minnesota

Kansas - 

Maryland - 

Michigan - Ohio State

Michigan State - Indiana, Penn State, Rutgers

Minnesota - Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska

Nebraska - Minnesota

Northwestern - Illinois

Ohio State - Michigan, Illinois

Oklahoma - 

Penn State - Michigan State, Minnesota

Purdue - Illinois

Rutgers - Michigan State

Wisconsin - Minnesota

Trophy Games not guaranteed - Illinois/Ohio State, Minnesota/Penn State, Nebraska/Minnesota, Michigan State/Rutgers

I'm thinking in you POD arrangement, Wisc has the easiest pod - really only NW as a competitor.  I think the west pod is the toughest - 3 good competitive teams (assumption is Nebraska will be back to being Nebraska of pre-2002 or even the Nebraska of Bo and BCs best years) while the other 2 pods have 2 competitive teams. 

32 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm thinking in you POD arrangement, Wisc has the easiest pod - really only NW as a competitor.  I think the west pod is the toughest - 3 good competitive teams (assumption is Nebraska will be back to being Nebraska of pre-2002 or even the Nebraska of Bo and BCs best years) while the other 2 pods have 2 competitive teams. 

Admittedly I put this one together pretty quickly and had to swap a couple around.

But part of it depends on what frame of reference you are using as well.  Purdue took Wisconsin to 3OT last year and definitely looks headed up.  That pod has the last "star power" but I think it also might have the highest floor.