Wan'Dale Robinson cited for possession of marijuana

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's it! You get a four game suspension!!!!!

Something tells me the team would miss me much less than Wan'dale or Mo.:D

That's what gets me about this issue. The infraction itself is not that serious of a deal and it is an antiquated law soon to be a thing of the past but the repercussions of possibly losing game time should be enough for a rational person to avoid doing it.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you sure? I saw a shop selling CBD by Honest Abe's on 27th in Lincoln. I'm not drawing a comparison between what they sell and weed but it seems at least some oil or edibles are probably legal there. And yeah, it surprised me to see that in Nebraska.

0 thc cbd's are legal in all 50 states due to the 2018 farm bill.

24 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

The car in the parking lot is not the same as a dorm room. I was speaking about the search of the vehicle. For a dorm room probable cause is needed for search. Smell of weed is probable cause to search the whole dorm room. That then would lead to “Reasonable Articulable Suspicion” that the marijuana was brought on campus in the vehicle, and it could then also be searched.  However, if there is no probable cause,” and there wasn’t a smell of weed, the only room with consent / permission that can be searched would be the person’s specific bedroom. If there is common areas or living room areas or a shared kitchen space then all people living in the residence have to give consent. If one person says no then police can’t search without PC. If all five consent to search the whole dorm room, all people that reside in the dorm room must be present during the search so they can speak up and tell the police to stop in case they change their minds during the search, as they have a right to stop the search at any time. 

Good info man, thanks. But the links you posted don't mention anything specifically about college campuses. Can you lay out a reasonable scenario for us that would lead a knock on the door of Wandale's dorm room to a search of his vehicle? How would that interaction go down?

Maybe not the thread for it, but I'd also be interested in hearing your journey regarding how you got on as a narc with the FBI in your early 20s.

38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I appreciate your knowledge on this subject. Thanks for the information.

I'm unfamiliar with police searches and the legality of probable cause. Are you saying that if an officer smells weed, that's probable cause and the resident can't decline a search? What happens if they refuse to unlock the door? Could (conceivably) the police just kick it in? I know that's not going to happen, but theoretically, is that on the table? Or do they have to come back with a warrant?

Not a problem, I am glad to help inform on questions. If the police see drugs or paraphernalia through a window or cracked door etc then they could boot the door down and enter because there then would be reason to believe that if they knocked the evidence could be destroyed. But if there is just smell they would need to come back with a search warrant based on the smell and “totality of  the circumstances”. Which typically any judge would sign this type of warrant in a heartbeat. In special circumstances where time is of value the cop could even call a judge and give him a recorded verbal statement on what he has and they could verbally issue a search warrant but that is very rarely done and especially not for pot.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Good info man, thanks. But the links you posted don't mention anything specifically about college campuses. Can you lay out a reasonable scenario for us that would lead a knock on the door of Wandale's dorm room to a search of his vehicle? How would that interaction go down?

Maybe not the thread for it, but I'd also be interested in hearing your journey regarding how you got on as a narc with the FBI in your early 20s.

The car in the parking lot is not the same as a dorm room. I was speaking about the search of the vehicle. For a dorm room probable cause is needed for search. If someone called police for the smell of weed or if they smelled it on routine patrol then the smell is probable cause to search the whole dorm room if they answer the door and police can definitely tell the smell is coming from the room. If no one answers the door it makes things more difficult but sometimes if a gap is under the door they can testify that they could still distinguish it was coming from that room. Finding marijuana or paraphernalia in the room or even if the marijuana was gone and there was an ash try and it was all smoked that still would be enough to have  “Reasonable Articulable Suspicion” that the marijuana was brought onto campus in the vehicle, and it could then also be searched.  However, if there is no probable cause,” and there wasn’t a smell of weed, the only room with consent / permission that can be searched would be the person’s specific bedroom. If there is common areas or living room areas or a shared kitchen space then all people living in the residence have to give consent. If one person says no then police can’t search without PC. If all five consent to search the whole dorm room, all people that reside in the dorm room must be present during the search so they can speak up and tell the police to stop in case they change their minds during the search, as they have a right to stop the search at any time.  

I got a bachelor degree in criminal justice from UNO. Got hired on at a big department at age 22. I busted guys and got a lot of drugs off the streets and was good at it as a patrol officer. I believe weed should be legal but concentrated my efforts on meth. My efforts got noticed and I got a promotion to a narcotics detective and got assigned to a drug task force with multiple agencies. The task force was led by an FBI agent and everyone on it goes through federal training and gets a Special Agent certification and title and gets sworn in by the FBI to be able to have federal jurisdiction to help enforce the laws in the multiple areas in the task force and to go to any state the case leads us. I then got recognized for the efforts in the task force  and got hired on by FBI and got sent to Quantico for training etc. was there for a few years. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

6 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

The car in the parking lot is not the same as a dorm room. I was speaking about the search of the vehicle. For a dorm room probable cause is needed for search. If someone called police for the smell of weed or if they smelled it on routine patrol then the smell is probable cause to search the whole dorm room if they answer the door and police can definitely tell the smell is coming from the room. If no one answers the door it makes things more difficult but sometimes if a gap is under the door they can testify that they could still distinguish it was coming from that room. Finding marijuana or paraphernalia in the room or even if the marijuana was gone and there was an ash try and it was all smoked that still would be enough to have  “Reasonable Articulable Suspicion” that the marijuana was brought onto campus in the vehicle, and it could then also be searched.  However, if there is no probable cause,” and there wasn’t a smell of weed, the only room with consent / permission that can be searched would be the person’s specific bedroom. If there is common areas or living room areas or a shared kitchen space then all people living in the residence have to give consent. If one person says no then police can’t search without PC. If all five consent to search the whole dorm room, all people that reside in the dorm room must be present during the search so they can speak up and tell the police to stop in case they change their minds during the search, as they have a right to stop the search at any time.  

I got a bachelor degree in criminal justice from UNO. Got hired on at a big department at age 22. I busted guys and got a lot of drugs off the streets and was good at it as a patrol officer. I believe weed should be legal but concentrated my efforts on meth. My efforts got noticed and I got a promotion to a narcotics detective and got assigned to a drug task force with multiple agencies. The task force wasn’t led by an FBI agent and everyone on it goes through federal training and gets a Special Agent certification and title and gets sworn in by the FBI to be able to have federal jurisdiction to help enforce the laws in the multiple areas in the task force and to go to any state the case leads us. I then got recognized for the efforts in the task force  and got hired on by FBI and got sent to Quantico for training etc. was there for a few years. 

Nice, thanks for sharing. My CJ degree is from UNL probably about ten years earlier than yours, but I never became a cop. Thanks for all the work you have done and continue to do.

Now meth...that is nasty, scary $h!t.

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

If there is common areas or living room areas or a shared kitchen space then all people living in the residence have to give consent. If one person says no then police can’t search without PC. If all five consent to search the whole dorm room, all people that reside in the dorm room must be present during the search so they can speak up and tell the police to stop in case they change their minds during the search, as they have a right to stop the search at any time. 

Man, I thought I was being smart and even I got hosed in college. I was in several dorm rooms where cops forced their way in because one roommate said it was okay while all of the others were yelling no. 

23 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Wandale wasn't contacted by the police initially, he was contacted by a campus security officer (CSO). It is UNL's nice way of saying mall cop. Mall cop works for the university and follows the universities rules. If you don't really comply with them, they call the UNLPD. I had CSOs call UNLPD because we were "loud and they heard the tabs opening cans" (they were right, but that sucked). UNLPD shows up and asks to search, at which point you can decline (breaks the university's rule, but saves you legally). Cop is then forced to come back with a warrant. 

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know edibles are widespread in state where recreational marijuana use is legal.  However, I doubt there are a lot of gummies, pot cookies, and other edibles being sold by illegal pot dealers in Nebraska.  They are selling the dirtiest ditch weed they can find and getting rid of it as quickly as they can.

I know of people who bake “magic” pastries at home on a small scale and sell them to friends. To me, they are taking a great risk of eventually getting caught. All it takes is a so-called pissed off friend to blow the whistle. It’s also a great risk when some bars allow smoking or eating pot on their outside patio. 

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

You don't really know if it does or not.

Actually I do.  I've been a cop since 2006.  Also, within the material you provided:  "In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the school’s search was reasonable and had not violated T.L.O.’s Fourth Amendment rights.  The Court decided that students in primary and secondary school should not have the same level of search and seizure protection as adults and as juveniles in non-school settings."

I had a friend in college that one time had some really good stuff - smelled like a skunk sprayed the crap out of it.  Anyhow, we called him "The Game" cus he always smoked "The Game" blunts/wraps.  He smoked some of this, in a blunt, in his car, went back into the dorms with nothing on his possession but stunk so bad someone called the cops on him.  The cops came to his dorm, could smell it and ended up searching his car and giving him a possession ticket, much like this.  Not sure what but there must be something in the law that allows them to search the vehicle.

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you sure? I saw a shop selling CBD by Honest Abe's on 27th in Lincoln. I'm not drawing a comparison between what they sell and weed but it seems at least some oil or edibles are probably legal there. And yeah, it surprised me to see that in Nebraska.

CBD oil is just diet weed

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Actually I do.  I've been a cop since 2006.  Also, within the material you provided:  "In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the school’s search was reasonable and had not violated T.L.O.’s Fourth Amendment rights.  The Court decided that students in primary and secondary school should not have the same level of search and seizure protection as adults and as juveniles in non-school settings."

College isn't primary or secondary school.

• Plus1 1