Wan'Dale Robinson cited for possession of marijuana

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

They should still be keeping clean over the summer, committed to their workouts and making sure they know the playbook inside and out!

I'm sure most know the outside of the playbook very well.  It's a nice, flat surface where you can roll things easily. 

:sarcasm

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

They must have a fixer - the article said none of the guys will be charged.  (Tongue in cheek, people)

Three other players -- senior Jeremiah Stovall, freshman Myles Farmer and sophomore Maurice Washington -- were cited this off-season for marijuana-related offenses.

But, this week, Prenda said he wasn't charging any of them "at this time as a result of our office’s continued evaluation of the effect of enactment of LB657 on our ability to prosecute marijuana and paraphernalia cases.”

https://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/view_bill.php?DocumentID=37622

LB657 - Adopt the Nebraska Hemp Farming Act and change provisions relating to the industrial hemp agricultural pilot program

Obviously we misjudged the situation.  The football team was simply trying to be industrious in the off-season by raising hemp.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

So it sounds like the same thing is happening in Nebraska as what's been happening here in Texas? Texas legalized low-THC hemp crops recently. But now a lot of the county DAs are saying "There's no way for an officer to legitimately distinguish between the legal and illegal stuff. The only way to tell is to have a lab test it, and we ain't got the labs for that, nor do we have the money to send it to outside labs for testing. So unless it's a felony or there's other major crimes involved, we aren't gonna prosecute it." Effectively, it's been decriminalized in much of the state.

Is that what's going on in NE?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

So it sounds like the same thing is happening in Nebraska as what's been happening here in Texas? Texas legalized low-THC hemp crops recently. But now a lot of the county DAs are saying "There's no way for an officer to legitimately distinguish between the legal and illegal stuff. The only way to tell is to have a lab test it, and we ain't got the labs for that, nor do we have the money to send it to outside labs for testing. So unless it's a felony or there's other major crimes involved, we aren't gonna prosecute it."

Is that what's going on in NE?

I don’t know, but, even though I want marijuana to be legal, I don’t think it should be legal for people under 21. Maybe 18 is a better cutoff. I dunno, I have just heard it is bad for the developing brain.

So if they can’t tell the difference that might be an issue. However I’m guessing the police don’t go around trying to find kids with cigarettes so it might just be that needing to be 18 or 21 to purchase it is about the only way to deter it. Maybe if the police see a 13 year old smoking a joint they will do something about it but I doubt they’re going to be going after people if they can’t tell the difference between the 3. And maybe that’s fine. 

33 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t know, but, even though I want marijuana to be legal, I don’t think it should be legal for people under 21. Maybe 18 is a better cutoff. I dunno, I have just heard it is bad for the developing brain.

So if they can’t tell the difference that might be an issue. However I’m guessing the police don’t go around trying to find kids with cigarettes so it might just be that needing to be 18 or 21 to purchase it is about the only way to deter it. Maybe if the police see a 13 year old smoking a joint they will do something about it but I doubt they’re going to be going after people if they can’t tell the difference between the 3. And maybe that’s fine. 

The age I've heard (probably on Joe Rogan) is 25 when it comes to brain development.

17 minutes ago, Toe said:

So it sounds like the same thing is happening in Nebraska as what's been happening here in Texas? Texas legalized low-THC hemp crops recently. But now a lot of the county DAs are saying "There's no way for an officer to legitimately distinguish between the legal and illegal stuff. The only way to tell is to have a lab test it, and we ain't got the labs for that, nor do we have the money to send it to outside labs for testing. So unless it's a felony or there's other major crimes involved, we aren't gonna prosecute it." Effectively, it's been decriminalized in much of the state.

It's bizarre how they are passing laws to legalize marijuana or in this case indirectly legalizing it without fully considering the consequences.  My first question was how do they test for impaired driving due to marijuana?  Turns out they don't have a good test nor is there a legal limit so even if someone is cited they could probably get off.  http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/drugged-driving-overview.aspx  Given the uproar and fight to eliminate drunk driving in recent years this pot mania seems strange and hypocritical.  Apparently now a minor can possess marijuana but they better not be caught with a beer.  The football players (and really any person) should smoke pot rather than drink alcohol if they want to party and avoid legal problems.

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The age I've heard (probably on Joe Rogan) is 25 when it comes to brain development.

Good conversation, and I’m interested to find out more myself, from a medical standpoint. I think Rogan must have referred to a study completed over a 25 year period, not a study with effects on 25 year olds (or he got his “facts” wrong). No conclusive evidence to back this theory up yet as there are too many variables. Here is a good article about what’s been done and what’s to come: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

It's bizarre how they are passing laws to legalize marijuana or in this case indirectly legalizing it without fully considering the consequences.  My first question was how do they test for impaired driving due to marijuana?  Turns out they don't have a good test nor is there a legal limit so even if someone is cited they could probably get off.  http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/drugged-driving-overview.aspx  Given the uproar and fight to eliminate drunk driving in recent years this pot mania seems strange and hypocritical.  Apparently now a minor can possess marijuana but they better not be caught with a beer.  The football players (and really any person) should smoke pot rather than drink alcohol if they want to party and avoid legal problems.

There is a market with an opening for a company to create a good testing product.  It's only going to grow as more states go the medicinal and recreational route.  I do believe Nebraska will be with Utah, and a couple of Bible Belts southern states like Alabama and Mississippi, to be the last to legalize it recreationally if the Feds don't make a decision before then.  I digress, but I do like the hemp opportunity for ag in Nebraska.  IMO corn ethanol is a house of cards built on subsidies, market wouldn't be there without them.  Not sure they will be there in the future and it would be good to have other options.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ZMagers22 said:

Good conversation, and I’m interested to find out more myself, from a medical standpoint. I think Rogan must have referred to a study completed over a 25 year period, not a study with effects on 25 year olds (or he got his “facts” wrong). No conclusive evidence to back this theory up yet as there are too many variables. Here is a good article about what’s been done and what’s to come: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/what-are-marijuanas-long-term-effects-brain

Neither. He was taking about how someone's brain isn't done developing until around 25 years old. Use before then can cause negative effects but are not catastrophic. Similar argument to alcohol. 

• Plus1 1