USWNT Sportsmanship vs Thailand

Did you have a problem with the USWNT running up the score?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

USWNT is taking no prisoners. I think they are taking the approach of a bulldozer. No quit at any second so you dont lose your edge.

I wouldnt have celebrated that way, but when you think about how much work they have put in, they have every right to be happy. 

Regardless of the number of world cups they have been in, it is still an honor to win and be successful. 

They have put even a larger target on their back and better be ready to feel no mercy from another team. I dont think they care though.

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So they're the worst team in the NFL playoffs. Let's patronize them and take it easy, not celebrate or have any fun after scoring in the World Cup.

I'm sure the other five teams that scored an average of four goals a match against them didn't celebrate any of those goals.

I would say they're closer to the worst team in the NCAA tournament, if that team backed in by finishing 4th in their conference tournament. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would say they're closer to the worst team in the NCAA tournament, if that team backed in by finishing 4th in their conference tournament. 

We can massage the analogy forever. Bottom line is, they're in the World Cup, they should stop us from scoring, and if they can't, we have a right to celebrate it without being accused of poor sportsmanship. These kinds of celebrations happen every year in bowl games, in NFL playoff games, all over sports.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We can massage the analogy forever. Bottom line is, they're in the World Cup, they should stop us from scoring, and if they can't, we have a right to celebrate it without being accused of poor sportsmanship. These kinds of celebrations happen every year in bowl games, in NFL playoff games, all over sports.

Oh, I have no problem with the outcome, and only minor problems with the celebrations; I was just adding a bit of context. 

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

So Thailand, who made it to the World Cup, through qualifying rounds and friendlies, is analogous to a D2 school playing a money game in early September.

Not seeing that.

Your better analogy would be 1995 Nebraska trouncing Florida, up by several touchdowns, and Christian Peter dances into the end zone on a fumble recovery.

All of Nebraska celebrated with him (even though the TD was called back).  Now we're supposed to be upset that these players celebrated too much after fulfilling a lifelong dream?

You’re getting too hung up on the label World Cup. 

Lets not act like excessive celebration isn’t a thing in all sports. In the NFL you get fined. In the NCAA you get flagged. In soccer you get carded. Nobody has said you can’t be excited or celebrate. It’s the way you do it especially when you’re the #1 team playing a team that only got in because North Korea got caught doping and the WWC expanded from 16 to 24. (NK said their players got struck by lightning so they used traditional medicine on them no joke.)

There are unwritten rules in soccer. Like when a player gets seriously injured you kick the ball out so the medical staff can look at them. 

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How many Americans were carded during the Thailand match?

None, but that’s missing the point. You don’t get carded for continuous play after a player is seriously injured or for not giving the ball back to a team that kicked the ball out so a player could get medical attention either.

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

None, but that’s missing the point. You don’t get carded for continuous play after a player is seriously injured or for not giving the ball back to a team that kicked the ball out so a player could get medical attention either.

This is Thailand's best team - not the point.

This is the world's highest level of competition in this sport - not the point.

There were no penalties administered for excessive celebration - not the point.

The Americans were living out their childhood dreams of scoring in the World Cup - not the point.

Teams throughout the recorded history of sports celebrate scores - not the point.

I am all ears - what is "the point?"  :lol:

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

In the NFL you get fined. In the NCAA you get flagged.

In the NFL and NCAA they get fined/flagged if the celebration was considered as taunting or demeaning the other team.

Please show where that happened here?  All I have seen is her celebrating while running towards her own bench.  Nothing was done towards an opposing player, fan, coach or anyone associated with Thailand.  

Maybe I haven't seen the offending action???

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is Thailand's best team - not the point.

This is the world's highest level of competition in this sport - not the point.

There were no penalties administered for excessive celebration - not the point.

The Americans were living out their childhood dreams of scoring in the World Cup - not the point.

Teams throughout the recorded history of sports celebrate scores - not the point.

I am all ears - what is "the point?"  :lol:

Sportsmanship. You’re creating arguements that I’m not arguing against. Again, not the act of celebrating, the excessiveness in which you do it. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

Sportsmanship. You’re creating arguements that I’m not arguing against. Again, not the act of celebrating, the excessiveness in which you do it. 

In your hugely subjective opinion the Americans were exhibiting bad sportsmanship.

I hugely disagree with that take.

And for the record I have no idea who's giving you those eyerolls up there. It's not me.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

In your hugely subjective opinion the Americans were exhibiting bad sportsmanship.

I hugely disagree with that take.

And for the record I have no idea who's giving you those eyerolls up there. It's not me.

It’s fine that you disagree I didn’t think I would have a popular take on this. No hate, just sharing my opinion. :thumbs

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

It would be more like if Melvin Gordon had that performance against Wayne State and did a pirouette into a slide and some leg farts on rout to a 130-0 blowout.

If Melvin Gordon had that performance against Wayne State but it was in the National Championship game, leg fart and celebrate and dance your damn heart out Melvin. You've reached the pinnacle and achieved a once in a lifetime dream, enjoy it.

• Plus1 1